January 2016 Moms

These shoes were made for walking

any recommendations on any shoes for learning to walk?

Ive kept her socked and barefoot most of the time with the occasional crib shoe for special outings.

with it being cold now when we go out and she wants to walk, she's needed some new kicks!!

Re: These shoes were made for walking

• I love the pediped bc they are really cute, but they are soft soled. We just went to stride rite yesterday and had her fitted for a pair of hard soled sneakers. A little expensive, but walking is important!
  • We went with some shoes from Carters. They were less expensive than a lot of shoes. I didn't want to spend too much, since I don't know how long she'll be in them. 
    It was kind of hilarious putting DD in them. It was like she had cement blocks on her feet. It only took a couple of times and she was a pro at it though.  It helped to put her outside to practice, since she loves it outside. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Stride rite the "soft motion" first walkers. Yes stride rite is expensive but I prefer 1 or 2 good pairs of shoes over several pairs of cutesy less expensive shoes. They offer wide and extra wide for fat little feet :) all 3 of my kiddos had to have either wide or extra wide while little thru prob about 3 or 4 years old.
  • cali1710cali1710 member
    edited January 2017
    I literally just bought her shoes this morning! We also went with stride rite and she loves them! They are light so she walks easily in it and they offer good support
  • We got Stride Rite (wide) also. On sale they don't seem too pricey. The pediatrician said not to worry so much about support in shoes for LO, but rather to just make sure his feet are protected. It's fun to see him try to put on his own shoes these days :) 

• Brynlee just outgrew these (she jumped from a size 3 to a size 5! For real, kid?). I bought these at Target for under $12. There are no laces or buckles, they are soft bottomed, lightweight, and Brynlee had no problems walking in them whatsoever. 
  • I'm all about the real leather moccasins. They're soft-soled as well, and so cute! They can be a bit pricey, but Wren has such tiny feet that she has worn the same pair for over six months now. I swear her feet don't grow!
  • grkgdss00grkgdss00 member
    edited January 2017
    We love ROBEEZ! We have 2 pairs and ill be buying more. Soft -soled and flexible, perfect for early walkers. They are recommended by the AAP!  Flexible/breathable to support healthy foot development. (closest to barefoot)
  • @grkgdss00 thank you for that reference! Makes me feel better about my choices. :) 
  • My big issue with the soft soles is that at daycare, they have tile, and at home, we have hardwood, and they are slippery! It's like watching her try to navigate walking on a piece of ice. I've been eyeballing the Stride Rite Surprize line at Target. Anybody else balk, though, at spending a significant amount on feet that are growing so quickly? Maybe I'll hit up Once Upon a Child first.
  • I keep LO in socks 95% of the time. She only has a pair of knockoff ugg boots from target for when we're outside and an adorable pair of little fleece lined white bear sneakers from old navy (that have a soft sole but have the nonskid sticky things). But when we're outside we always carry her from the house to the car etc and we go to a home daycare so I take her shoes off as soon as she gets there. I get annoyed at spending the $ for shoes from target that she's going to out grow in a month or two!  Plus everything I read says barefoot is best for learning to walk so I roll with it. 
  • KFrob said:
    I keep LO in socks 95% of the time. She only has a pair of knockoff ugg boots from target for when we're outside and an adorable pair of little fleece lined white bear sneakers from old navy (that have a soft sole but have the nonskid sticky things). But when we're outside we always carry her from the house to the car etc and we go to a home daycare so I take her shoes off as soon as she gets there. I get annoyed at spending the $ for shoes from target that she's going to out grow in a month or two!  Plus everything I read says barefoot is best for learning to walk so I roll with it. 
    @KFrob my baby is also barefoot except when we are out. She has ugg boots and mini melissa flats. Ugg have soft sole with nonskid. Mini melissa are made of soft latex.
  • Mines always barefoot too but she loves walking outside so I had to cave. Shes only in shoes when outside
  • For us, it's so cold here, that a pair of socks just isn't going to cut it--even for the walk from the house to the car. On top of that, the first thing Birdie does after you put socks on her is very deliberately pull them off. The only way to keep them on her feet is if shoes are on that she can't take off. 
  • nackienackie member
    edited February 2017
    @stephanienjer what shoes do you use that she can't get off?  DS is usually barefoot by the time we get out of our neighborhood.  And then he throws his shoes and socks in different directions
  • nackie said:
    @stephanienjer what shoes do you use that she can't get off?  DS is usually barefoot by the time we get out of our neighborhood.  And then he throws his shoes and socks in different directions

They have to have fasteners of some sort. She's got some mary janes I bought at consignment that stay on, and a pair of high tops that somebody handed down to us that she really can't get off. Both are velcro.
    She got a pair of pink fuzzy boots from my mom, (think uggs with Minnie Mouse,) and they fall off when I pull her out of the carseat, etc., but otherwise she loooves them, and walks around and points to them to show people. (When they're not on, she's hugging them. I think since they're fuzzy, she thinks they're stuffed animals.)
  • @stephanienjer Mine has figured out how to undo the velcro on all of his shoes.  He has some fleece booties with snaps that he can't get off, but they have cloth soles, so they're no good for going out.