August 2017 Moms

Terrified for my next scan :/

Hey everyone. I'm about 10 weeks pregnant and I'm getting a dating ultrasound at 11 weeks next Thursday for peace of mind. Otherwise my next ultrasound wouldn't be until I'm 12 weeks pregnancy for my first trimester screening test. I'm beyond terrified to go even though I want to know how things are progressing. My first ultrasound (to rule out ectopic pregnancy due to right sided cramping ) at 5 weeks 5 days only showed a gestational sac with a yolk sac measuring at 5 weeks 3 days. I haven't had a follow up one since and I went to my first prenatal visit with my midwife yesterday and she didn't even try to listen to the heartbeat with a Doppler. I told her about my lack of symptoms (no morning sickness, slight nausea here and there, sore breasts on and off, mild fatigue and constipation. And my insomnia) And she said that she could order another ultrasound but I would have to pay out of pocket cuz insurance doesn't cover it. She didn't seem concerned about my lack of symptoms and said some women just breeze through it. But I can't help but think that my lack of symptoms means that my pregnancy hasn't progressed since my early scan at 5 weeks. I'm so afraid that this scan will confirm my fears. I'm so anxious over everything and just feel something is off :/ so I'm paying out of pocket for a private scan next week and I'm terrified. I wish she could have done more to calm me down and ease my fears. I really need reassurance that everything is ok. I've had no spotting/bleeding/or heavy cramping this entire time :/ help! 

Re: Terrified for my next scan :/

• I understand your concerns. **TW- I had a miscarrriage in October -end TW** and then we got pregnant on the first shot in December. I have had no appts. Just the beta draws and 4 weeks and 4 weeks plus 2 days. My first appt is Monday and I will be 10 weeks. I'm a flipping nervous wreck. I have heard too many stories of people going for scans and having a missed miscarriage. The thought is all consuming for me right now. All I can say is I get it and just try to chill. There's nothing we can do if there is something wrong. And having a scan a week earlier than your doctors office scan may ease your mind a bit I guess. But I think I would just wait til the one at the doctors office of it were me. Sounds like you are just one of the lucky ladies that don't have awful symptoms.  I'm sure the baby is just fine.  Try to relax and enjoy this special time in your life. Good luck at your scans!
  • Thank you. I'm hoping for the best 
  • Loading the player...
  • Please try to stay relaxed and understand you're pregnant. There's no textbook symptom needed. Similar to @dmbfan46835, *tw - I had a chemical in november - tw end*, and got pregnant the next cycle. Every day I'm thinking "am i pregnant enough?"  I have an appointment on Monday, my last appointment was over 3 weeks ago, and that seems like forever away.

This is only the early stages, and if all is well, you have 30 more weeks of this! You can't live in fear...just keep your mind preoccupied. If you really need reassurance, maybe buy an at home fetal doppler. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Try not to worry yourself over the lack of symptoms. The symptoms you described are already more than what I experienced with my first. He ended up being perfectly healthy and he is still the world's easiest baby!
  • JWatt5JWatt5 member
    edited January 2017
    I didn't have many symptoms either, so you aren't alone with that! I even called the doc at 9.5weeks when my fatigue completely went away being super worried, they didn't seem worried either. I just had a scan (11 weeks) and everything is perfect. I have had a 4 scans now being an IF patient, so I had a bit more reassurance but oddly enough, the same wave of deep concern seems to happen with every single scan, as if I've never seen the baby before. I get nothing done at work and I'm super edgy the day or two before beyond the constant worry. **TW- I'm also had a loss, its so hard to trust a pregnancy after that.**

@dmbfan46835 is right, if there is something that has happened there isn't anything you've done or can do but the odds of a second miscarriage after the first one is very very low. The stories of missed miscarriages are so scary, they really hit home when you hear them in this community we've built, but try to remember that it's a small percentage of people it happens to as well.

You're pregnant today, right now, and you have a baby to take care of inside of you. Try not to let the worry of a possible loss steal all the joy, because odds are you'll be ok :) 

edited b/c I can't spell as usual :)
    Me: 37 DH: 37 - Married 10.2015 ❤️ Canadian 
    DX: Endometriosis - Stage 4, DOR, RPL
    TTC #1 07.2015
    03.2016 - Natural BFP - MC 5w4d
    04.2016 - Natural BFP - Chemical
    10.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = IUI Cancelled (cyst/no mature follicle)
    11.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFP, EDD 08.2017 - It's a BOY!
    TTC #2 06.2019
    08.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = Chemical
    09.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFN
    10.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #3 = BFN
    01.2020 - IUI w/ Injections #4 = BFN
    08.2020 - Natural BFP - MC 9w5d
    11.2020 - IVF Retrieval - 3AB & 4BB
    05.2021 - FET #1 = BFP, EDD 02.2022 - It's a BOY!

• Im just going to throw this out there, because i went through the same thing with DD, so i know what its like to be terrifed of what that scan is going to show. . According to research done by American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, only 1 percent of pregnancies will result in a missed miscarriage. I found this helpful because it really reassured me that it is very unlikely that you will have a missed misscarriage. If you had lost the pregnancy, you would likely know already. I know it can seem really common because of stories you read online, but its not really representative of real life because people are more inclined to tell their story or ask questions (start threads on forums) ectwhen they are going through sometbing bad and want advice/support. 
  • I know it can seem really common because of stories you read online, but its not really representative of real life because people are more inclined to tell their story or ask questions (start threads on forums) ectwhen they are going through sometbing bad and want advice/support. 
    So much this too. I always try to remind myself of this. So true! 
  • Thanks ladies for all the kind worked and reassurance. :) hope we all have happy and healthy pregnancies and babies!