March 2017 Moms

UO Thursday

Want to share an opinion bound to make someone mad?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: UO Thursday

• Loading the player...
  • Ughh my mom constantly told me to do that with my first it got super annoying. 
    Me: 35      Hubs: 27
    Married: 07/04/13
    BFP #1: 8/14/14, Baby Girl born 4/16/15
    BFP #2: 6/21/16, Baby Girl born 2/11/17
    BFP #3: 1/26/19, EDD 10/8/19
    Fur Babies: 2 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels (Piper and Mia)
  • I thought I actually had a controversial one, lol. Maybe it's a generational thing?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • i think it is generational. all of my aunts and grandma told me DS would sleep better and have no more reflux if only i'd give him some rice cereal. when he finally did start trying foods at 6 months it wasn't rice cereal and he still had reflux and sleeping issues. 
  • i think it is generational. all of my aunts and grandma told me DS would sleep better and have no more reflux if only i'd give him some rice cereal. when he finally did start trying foods at 6 months it wasn't rice cereal and he still had reflux and sleeping issues. 
    I've read studies that found it actually doesn't make a statistically significant difference. (of course the sample size on both was only something like 15 for the controlled study and 100 something for the observing one)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Lurking from December 2015: 
    I actually didn't have people badgering me about it because they didn't have a chance to. My DD had such severe reflux that when she was 5 weeks old, we were told to put 1 tsp of rice cereal for every ounce in her bottle. I never put that much because it was too thick for her to drink, but from what I can tell, it made no difference in her sleeping habits. She still woke up 1-2 times a night with the cereal. Honestly, it seems like all it did was make her put on massive amounts of weight and I stopped giving it to her at 4 months when her pediatrician told us to start feeding her sweet potatoes to help with constipation (ironically, caused by the rice cereal....) If she hadn't needed it for her reflux, she never would have had it at all. 
  • I'm with all of you on this. My ped didn't recommend that we put rice cereal in the bottle since my son was growing just fine with breast milk, but she did push rice cereal when it came to him eating solids. My husband is one of those people that takes what the doc says to heart, which yes, I understand that clearly the ped knows a hell of a lot more than I ever will about children, but I've found that nutrition is where peds tend to lack on the info and I had to convince my husband that our son didn't need rice cereal as a first food. White rice cereal has zero nutritional value and it's nothing but sugar. I didn't argue with the ped or anything about it, just nodded my head when she mentioned rice cereal and proceeded to start my son on real food like sweet potatoes, bananas, etc. She also pushed whole milk on us when my son was a year. I told her that I was still breastfeeding him and she said that I should still give the cow's milk. I swear I just don't understand that way of thinking. Why would milk from an animal be better than mother's milk?? By 1, my son was also getting a balanced variety of solids that included calcium, so why the cow's milk? That annoyed me to no end.
  • @kiyamurph My sons first food was a scrap of baked chicken breast from my plate. He gummed and swallowed and loved it. When my dad heard he was appalled, lol. He showed up THE NEXT DAY on my front porch with a bag full of Gerber first fruits things.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @hippiemama hahahaha!!!! Love that gif!!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • since we're on the topic of feeding, i also didn't introduce one food at a time and wait three days in between. sure in the beginning we took it slow. but i mean if there were a couple of foods around the house that typically don't cause reactions we would introduce them at the same time. if he did have an issue with something it still wouldn't have been hard to weed through new food offerings. 
  • since we're on the topic of feeding, i also didn't introduce one food at a time and wait three days in between. sure in the beginning we took it slow. but i mean if there were a couple of foods around the house that typically don't cause reactions we would introduce them at the same time. if he did have an issue with something it still wouldn't have been hard to weed through new food offerings. 
    Guilty. My DS did a lot of eating whatever we were eating so it is pretty impossible to follow the 3 day rule. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • What is all this about teething toys being bad? I already have some and see nothing wrong with them.
  • @disneybaby84 I haven't heard about that one. What are the "experts" saying is bad about teethers? I think the question is more like what's not considered to be bad these days??
  • @kiyamurph I think the issue is that they found that even those marked BPA free have been found to have BPA in them. 
    ****TW****

Me: 39 DH: 40
    Married: 12/6/2014

BFP#1: 1/20/15      MC: 2/14/15
    BFP#2: 10/28/15    MC: 11/24/15
    BFP#3:  3/20/16     MC: 4/26/16
    BFP#4:  7/15/16     DD: 3/18/17
    BFP#5:  5/1/18     EDD: 1/12/19
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• MrsBinPA said:
    @kiyamurph I think the issue is that they found that even those marked BPA free have been found to have BPA in them. 
    That's what it is. So lame.
  • What is all this about teething toys being bad? I already have some and see nothing wrong with them.
    I have no patience with the whole no BPA thing. I've seen plenty of stuff showing that other plastic can be just as bad.  :/

I have heard that those teethers with the gel inside that you freeze or make coola re bad because little sharp teeth might pop them. I can get behind that logic. 

My son hated teethers anyway, though I did have success with getting a washcloth corner wet and freezing it and letting him gum on it. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • my son hates all teethers too! and never took a binky and didn't even like the washcloth... the only thing he tolerates are these weird vibrating grapes haha but i think he just has fun chewing it and isn't so much relieved by it