August 2017 Moms
Options

This Is Us - "Three Questions" Discussion

Because so many of us have said we watch it, I thought we may enjoy discussing the episodes.

General disclaimer the spoilers will follow.

What'd you think of the kid's birthday parties?

Randall and William, what'd you think of their day together?

What do you think about the weight loss "camp" Kate is at?  What's your predictions for her and Toby?

At what age do you think the kids are when Jack passed away?  Does their age surprise you?

Kevin was married!?  What are your thoughts here?

Other questions/thoughts?

***TW in Siggy***
Me: 34 / DH: 33
Married: Nov 2011
TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: This Is Us - "Three Questions" Discussion

• Options
    Omg what a great idea. So many thoughts about last night!

-I kind of knew the three birthdays wasn't going to work out. Kids all want to be induviduals at that age and I'm glad they tried it and realized it wasn't for them. But Randall's friend turnout?  :'( He had such a mature mentality about it. What an insightful little guy. 

-Randall and William- I'm glad William is around to make Randall realize that he needs to take a step back from work life and appreciate the little things, as much as it might annoy him. And Randall teaching William to drive? Precious. 

-I do think the camp might be good for Kate to work on some underlying issues before jumping into gastric bypass. Her mini flashbacks during her stick banging (lol) class seemed to hint at that. But this new ranch douche? Hate him already. And I'm not a fan of Toby, either. Why can't Kate have a normal guy in her life?

-Jack seems to have passed young based on the actor portrayal of the Big 3 looking like they're in their teens/his funeral picture. I'm interested to find out what happened. 

-I thought for sure Kevin was going to go see Olivia (I think her name is? The actress?). But finding out it was Kate's "friend" Sophie from childhood and that he was married to her? New storyline coming about. I'm glad they're straying from the shallowness of his dating persona that's been seen so far. 

-I want to know how Kate and Miguel happened. I'm assuming next week we find out *possible spoiler- that him and his wife are getting divorced-end spoiler* and I hope that he doesn't creep in on Kate when she's vulerable after Jack's death. I HOPE MY PREDICTION'S WRONG!
  • Options
    Thanks for starting this @bumpybump I love this show!!

I loved them and loved that there was a twist for all of them. Sad for Kate and Randall though.

This was very sweet, I'm guessing William doesn't have much time left so they need the time together. And Randall already losing a father can see that this is more important than a work case.

What do you think about the weight loss "camp" Kate is at?  What's your predictions for her and Toby?
    I'm with Kate on this that this camp is not at all what I was expecting. Anyone else picture the biggest loser type scenario? But it's interesting that it focuses on looking on a larger fix rather than a quick fix. I'm team Toby, all the way. This new horse dude better not mess it up. I'm predicting that it will.

At what age do you think the kids are when Jack passed away?  Does their age surprise you?
    It seemed like they were in their late teens? I was very surprised and am not looking forward to this inevitable episode.

Shocked. I have so many questions about this. When did they get married? How long were they together? Why did they separate? Is Sophie friends with Kate? Is she available now? Is he over the other girls? 

I think this was the first episode I didn't cry in. Last weeks was a mess. There seems to be a pattern of heart wrenching episodes followed up by feel good ones, so brace yourselves until next week. LOL
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It was great to see them be three people and not just the big three. I wasn't sad for Randall. I actually love how bold he is and loves how he viewed his 3 friends as "a lot". Quality over quantity. I thought it was great that Kevin had a princess bride party. And my biggest takeaway was Kate and Jack's relationship. She adores her dad and they clearly have a special bond. I'm sure this is why she unravels when he passes.

Beautiful. I was so afraid Randall was going to blow him off to get back to work and then William would die. But it was refreshing to see Randall slow down and just enjoy life.

What do you think about the weight loss "camp" Kate is at? What's your predictions for her and Toby?
    I think Kate has a lot of self reflecting to do. I think it may be a good experience for her. I hate the new guy but something tells me he's really going to make Kate and Toby test their relationship.

At what age do you think the kids are when Jack passed away? Does their age surprise you?
    The picture of jack could have been old. People don't always use super recent photos at funerals. But based on the shots of the kids, I'd say late teens to early 20s. It looked like the same characters as the high school episode.

Kevin was married!? What are your thoughts here?
    Finally, a storyline with Kevin that isn't all shallow. I thought he was going to see Sloane so I was obviously shocked. This may have something to do with Kate and Kevin's relationship. Kate always seems annoyed when Kevin asks for woman advice. Interested to see where they will go with this.

Too many commercials. Every time I started crying, boom commercial. I thought it was a good episode, I just need more answers. I was hoping they would reveal more about jacks death. Ugh.

Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • Options
    @britvahok interesting theory about William not dying but if you recall, several episodes back, they allude to some foreshadowing of his death. Randall is in the room crying, packing up his instruments and hat and other things.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Great idea to start a thread!  Love this show.  My husband watched it with me last night while we were in bed.  Of course, a bazillion questions later and I think he's going to start it from the beginning!!  YAY!!!

It was cute to me how the separate parties came about.  Not wise to throw them all on the same day though.  Randal definitely has such a laid-back approach to his childhood and just goes with the flow.  

Loved it.  I think he realized as the day went on that this was the right choice to make, knowing that his father doesn't have much time left.  

I thought it was going to be much more like a biggest loser type camp.  I like the idea of getting down to the emotional aspect of the weight issues.  Kate has some deep rooted aggression and i actually teared up when she was beating with the sticks and they showed the flashbacks.  It was emotional to see how those situations had impacted her life.  I like Toby and Kate together.  Not a fan of the horse guy.  He was way to sure of himself for me.  I do see Kate being tempted by him.  The strong denial and refusal by her is foreshadowing a situation. 

I thought they were going to be adults when he passed, but to me they looked 16-18 years old.  I too thought that maybe there was going to be a divorce before the passing.  I guess we could still see that play out because we haven't seen any scenes with those kids at that age.  

Gaahhh!  Kevin was married!!!  As he was walking up to the door, I said to my husband watch it not be either of those two girls and I was right!  Once he said Sophie, I was like huh??? That Sophie?  So surprised but in a good way.  That will be a great story line.  I too thought that a man or kids were going to walk up behind her.  I supposed that too could still happen, even though she agrees to meet him.  Maybe she will meet him to tell him she's married, then an affair will start!  

@britvahok I don't get the sense that all of the kids like Miguel.  I don't think Kevin does at all and sometimes I get the feeling that Kate doesn't either.  

** Spoiler-ish**
    Did anyone see Kevin Sullivan (Toby) at whatever award show was on recently?  He has lost a TON of weight!  Chrissy (Kate) had not because she was also there.  Wonder how that will play out in the storyline?
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @aehogan90 I completely forgot about that :( I was really hoping something would happen and William would live on!

@sgrant432 Randall is the one who is always over welcoming to Miguel whenever he comes to visit. Yes, I saw that Toby had lost a lot of weight (I think it was the golden globes). I've seen Kate on a few shows and each show I'm always wondering why she hasn't lost weight IRL and if she just going to give up on losing weight at some point and just be happy. If she gets gastric bypass on the show, wouldn't she have to go into hiding IRL and lose like 100 lbs.
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• Options
    @britvahok honestly wouldn't be surprised by anything at this point; nothing seems to be off limits. It's possible it wasn't foreshadowing but more of an emotion in randalls mind. Who knows. The great thing about this show is they leave so much for you to conclude for yourself. There are so many different ways things could go.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    The birthday parties definitely showed a lot about the kids. Randall is so mature for his age and I was very impressed that he wanted only his true friends there.  It's obvious Kevin is the well liked, popular kid. I felt so bad for Kate. I felt like Sophie only friended Kate to get to Kevin. I really wonder how this will all play out with friendship vs. relationship. 

I thought it was great they got to spend time together but my business mind kept saying, "but you're gonna miss the deal!"  I actually found myself conflicted for Randall. 

I must have been distracted during the explanation that it was to prepare for the surgery. Cuz I was super confused when she got there so suddenly. I really thought it was for after.  Her mental breakthrough was very telling.  I like Toby and really want them to work!  This horse guy is gonna be trouble :(

I definitely think they look like teenagers. I expected them to be much older when he'd pass. 

I was like, WHAT!?!!  And to Sophie!!!?!  Kevin would have been divorced at the age of 24 so I wonder how long they were married. I too kept waiting for a man to show up behind her. 

I just love this show and get so excited for the next episode. Can't wait to see how they play it all out. 

@sgrant432  @britvahok I read somewhere that "Toby" wears a fat suit for this role. Not sure if it's true though. 
    Also, I don't think they all like Miguel.  I feel there's always an uneasy feeling when he's around. I think Kevin isn't a fan based on the Thanksgiving episode.   

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    Yey thanks for doing this!! I love love love this show!

I thought it was good that they let them each have their own, but crazy that they did in on the same day.  I felt really bad for Randall and Kate though.  Clearly, Kevin is the most well liked of the three by peers.  Randall handled it so maturely though.  Quality over quantity!! And Kate, poor thing, it seems she's always struggled to have girlfriends.  Even in current day, we never see her hanging out with any friends.

So so so stinking sweet! I think it's great that William is making Randall slow down and appreciate more things in life outside of work.  Teaching him how to drive was the cutest thing ever!

At first I  had the same thought as Kate, wth kind of fat camp is this? I was totally expecting a biggest loser type thing.  But when she did that stick beating thing and had flashbacks, I was in tears. I think it is a good idea for her to deal with some underlying issues and emotional things.  As for her and Toby, I just don't know. That horse guy was really pissing me off. I think he's going to play a large role in her and Toby, whatever way they end up going.

It looked to me like they were teenagers.  Mid to late teens I'd say.  I was shocked at their ages.  I really thought they were going to be alot older. I'm interested to see the rest of the story there.  Will that be in the next episode?

What the heck?!?! I was 100% not expecting that. When he was talking to her, I kept waiting for kids or another guy to walk up behind her.  I can't believe that's the same Sophie from when they were 10 too! I'm very interested to see the story line between Sophie, Kate, and Kevin.

Is it just me, or does Rebecca seem like a completely different person when the kids were little vs now? I wonder if that has something to do with the whole Jack/Miguel thing.  I liked her better when the kids were little.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I love this show so much, but I always watch it a few days later, thank you DVR.  But when I saw this post yesterday I made sure to watch it last night so I could join in! Guess I will be watching this show more on time from now on!

I thought they were so sweet. I did feel for Kate and Randall though, but I thought both of them were incredibly mature in their own ways.  I just loved the ending though, I got a bit misty at the end!

I love that he went, but was surprised that he went so easily. I love their relationship, and I love what William is doing for Randall.

I think the camp is a bit odd, but it seems like it might be a good place for Kate!  I want her to be successful and after her breakdown I think it might be.  I do not like horse guy, and I know hes going to cause some trouble.  I really like Toby, but I just wish he was more interested in getting healthy.  It made me so mad a few episodes ago when he stopped trying, and I just dont know what that will do to their relationship if he never fully commits. 

I think its late highschool, which breaks my heart! I am misting up just thinking about it! 

I am not fully surprised that he was married before.  He seems to be the type to fall hard and fast, and getting married young fits that, but the fact that they got divorced at 24 kills me!  I am hoping that there is some good that comes out of that story line. 

I never cry! I mean like never! But this show (starting episode 1) I have cried some! I know its pregnancy now, but that doesn't explain every episode! 
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • Options
    Oooh, I like this! What'd you think of the kid's birthday parties? I really liked the idea of giving them their own birthday parties. I felt bad for Randall but then he really didn't seem to mind that he didn't have many people there. I really felt bad for Kate because she was obviously sad with how her party turned out. I love Kate. Randall and William, what'd you think of their day together? I thought it was nice. At first, it kind of bugged me that William didn't seem concerned that Randall had something important going on at work. I know he doesn't have a lot of time left, but it seemed like he was purposely ignoring Randall's work obligations and taking his sweet time. It turned out very cute, and I'm glad they had that day together. What do you think about the weight loss "camp" Kate is at? What's your predictions for her and Toby? It doesn't seem much like a weight loss camp, but rather a camp to focus on mental health. I understand to correlation between the two, but I'm surprised she didn't realize what kind of camp it would be before she got there. I felt bad for her during her break down. I'm interested to see what else happens there. I think she and Toby will stay together and maybe Toby and that other guy will have a fight. It looks like Toby visits during the next episode. At what age do you think the kids are when Jack passed away? Does their age surprise you? Definitely teenagers. That was surprising and also so heartbreaking. Kevin was married!? What are your thoughts here? Crazy! Also kind of strange he would be married to someone who liked him back when they were 10. I just didn't expect that from his character.
    BabyFruit Ticker

#1 - DD: 7/5/12
    #2 - DS: 5/21/14
    #3 - EDD: 8/25/17

• Options
    @bumpybump I had not heard that he wore a fat suit.  That could explain the drastic difference.  
  • Options
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• Options
    edited January 2017
    i know this was 1990, but 45 kids with only 2 supervising adults?!? That's crazy!  The parties were cute and I love young Randall, though I really dislike his adult character.

It was very sweet. William was like a little kid living out his dream. 

that horse trainer guy needs to get his ass fired pronto. Not okay, but this is a drama so whatever. I'm sure Kate will fall for him and Toby will come to surprise her as one of his big romantic gestures and catch them kissing or something dumb. 

we know that Jack was still alive when they played high school football. I'm going to guess sometime around the age of 18. 

jessie!!!! I actually thought this storyline was sweet and hope she isn't married again. 

Interesting about the actor that plays Toby. I read that the actress who plays Kate is also planning to lose weight alongside her character so I'm looking forward to watching her progress. 

• Options
    I think everyone has shared my thoughts! This was a good, not-very-emotionally-traumatic episode which was nice. I will say, its blow my mind that Chris Sullivan (Toby) is also Tom Cleary in The Knick.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

What'd you think of the kid's birthday parties?  I liked them.  I loved how mature Randall was.  My heart did break a little bit for Kate and Randall though.  It made me think of all the times that my kids are going to go through tough times and I will not be able to make it all better.

I LOVED their day together.  I was annoyed that Randall took so long to get into the spirit of things.  I am so glad they had that special time together.  

I hope Kate sticks with it and I think it will help her get to the deep issues that she needs to resolve.  I really don't like the horse guy though.  I like her and Toby, but I think that their relationship may need to change and evolve while she works on the issues that she needs to work on.  I don't think that they will be together (I feel like we might have a Derek and Meredith situation, or Ross and Rachel) the entire show and I think horse guy will instigate some of the trouble to begin.  

I think they were in their late teens.

I loved this twist.  I thought it was really sweet that their relationship seems to have started that young. I like that they are giving Kevin a deeper storyline too.

I am so excited that, from what I have read, that they have renewed the show for 2 more seasons.  
    Married 5/21/2011
    DD 1 10/2012
    CP 9/2013
    DD 2 6/2014
    CP 3/2016        
     BFP 12/8/2016        
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    britvahok said:
    @bumpybump thanks for starting this! I love This is us!

Kevin was married!?  What are your thoughts here? The whole time Kevin was talking to Sophie I was waiting for her new husband to pop up behind her or some kids to run around the corner.

Same! And she did say that she hadn't seen/spoke to him in 11 (or was it 12?) years, yet she never got remarried or had children? That seems a little too convenient for me. But then again, maybe she's a single mom. Who knows. I'm sure more will unfold.

• Options
    @taylormarie923 you don't like Randall as an adult?  I'm curious why not?

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    bumpybump said:
    @taylormarie923 you don't like Randall as an adult?  I'm curious why not?
    I think most of it had to do with his "why me" attitude when his father came out. He's just too whiny about things and resentful. I don't think it lines up with his character as a kid. Totally a writing issue, I like the actor and think he does well with what he's given, but I really dislike the path they have him heading down. 
  • Options
    @taylormarie923 interesting view. I actually find him to be rather optimistic and joyful. Sure, he has an initial reaction to things but that's just showing he is human like we all are. He seems to change his initial reaction rather quickly. I really like his adult character. 

***TW in Siggy***
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    @taylormarie923  YES!!! THANK YOU!!! I thought I was the only one who was sort of irked by Randall. I remember being extremely angry when he was so nasty to his mother after he found out she had known his birth father all along. I'm so sorry, but SHE wanted to raise you. SHE loved you and SHE cared for you. SHE thought the world of you and SHE and Jack are the reason he is as successful as he is today. I thought it was very childish and immature for his character. I can appreciate him wanting to know his birth father, I really can. I just thought he'd go about it a different way and be able to understand that William gave him away. 
  • Options
    @cmmiller531  i understand that viewpoint of not liking him, sometimes he initial reactions rub me the wrong way too.  I think he just likes order and a plan and doesn't deal well with a lot of change/chaos.  I think his childhood has somehow affected him as he has become an adult and there is some resentment that has built in him over time to cause a change in his attitude from childhood to adulthood.  I think he had a right to be nasty to his mom when he found out she knew the entire time.  There were episodes shown where child-Randall asked his mom about his birth parents, so it was kind of obvious that at a young age he wanted to know.  I can see her not telling him so young, but maybe at 18 or so they could have told him.  
    I think his relationships with his siblings has always affected him too.  I don't remember the episode number, but he was in the car with Kevin and they were in NYC and got into it with each other and someone else.  Those two were sitting in the car and Kevin said "brother" and Randall responded that was the only time he has ever heard Kevin call him his brother.  I think things like strain and struggle have gone on and we just haven't seen all of the story yet.  I hope there is a story told so we can see more of Randall's growth and experience some more in-depth development of him.