November 2016 Moms
Options

Intro and 2 questions (formula and cooing)

Hey everyone,

Congrats to all the November mamas! I'm an old bumpie who participated a lot on TTGP back when we were TTC #1. Anyway, I had (surprise) baby #3 on 11/13/16 (my siggy is probably REALLY outdated).

So my baby is two and a half months old now. Has your baby started cooing yet? He just recently stared smiling more often when you interact with him, but I feel like he is very quiet. I don't remember with my daughter when she started cooing and my other son apparently started cooing really early.

Also, does anyone use Similac formula? I was googling to see if there is a difference between Similac advance and Similac pro-advance but I haven't gotten a definitive answer. My pedi gives out sample cans of the pro advance so I wanted to see if they can be used interchangeably. I'll check out the FF board too but I wanted to throw it out there. TIA!

bfp 1 - m/c 1.31.11 @ 10 weeks

bfp 2 - baby born via c-section on 5.4.12 @ 37 weeks

bfp 3 - blighted ovum/d&c on 4.13.13 @ 8 weeks

bfp 4 - 3rd IUI, very late BFN with super low P, c/p

bfp 5 - natural bfp while on lupron, baby born via RCS on 4.27.15 @ 39 weeks

bfp 6 - surprise! baby born via RCS on 11.13.16 @ 38 weeks

Re: Intro and 2 questions (formula and cooing)

• Options
    Welcome! My baby is 9 weeks and does make cooing sounds, but I really wouldn't put much weight on that. Every baby is different and will develop at their own pace. if your pedi isn't worried I wouldn't be either. :)
  • Options
    My baby is almost 3 mos and though she started occasional cooing at around 2 mos, it has really taken off the last couple of weeks. I don't see that it's anything to be concerned about. Some babies are just quieter.

As for the similac - I was using similac advance for a couple months with E, but don't think I tried pro-advance. The one thing I did try that E hated was the supplement-specific similac, but I don't think that was the pro-advance. She had the same negative reaction to the supplement version of gerber gentle (more spit up which smelled gross, more crying). She's now on regular gerber gentle (daycare gives it to us as part of the tuition) and it's been great. If it were me, I'd give the pro-advance a try to see how he does - formula is expensive so anything you can get for free could be worth a try.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Totally. But we tried it and now the baby's poop seems more frequent, watery and seedy. So I'm hesitant to continue. 

• Options
    Not sure if my replies are actually going through as replies. I'm using the app. 

Anyway, with my middle baby, we used samples of the supplemental similac from the pedi since he did tell us it could be used interchangeably with regular similac. My son had no problem. But every baby is different. 

• Options
    I don't know the difference but my ped said we could interchange formulas. We use regular similac advance and she gave me samples of the supplementation but I really asked because my niece is on sensitive and I asked if we are at their house can we use theirs or need to bring ours. She said it's fine to use there's. 

As for for cooing my son is not cooing very much. He makes some sounds here and there but is still pretty quiet. He turned two months thispast Thursday. Have his 2 month checkup tomorrow. 
  • Options
    Totally. But we tried it and now the baby's poop seems more frequent, watery and seedy. So I'm hesitant to continue. 
    How long is the seedy poop supposed to last. DS is 8 weeks and it is still seedy
  • Options
    When we switched to Gerber her poop did that for a few BMs, but then settled back into it's more usual form (though the color is slightly different).
  • Options
    Not sure but we definitely weren't seedy for a while until we tried this pro advance formula.