June 2017 Moms
Options

Montessori

I toured a new Montessori school today that is super convenient and I really liked. I hadn't done much research on the Montessori style of education, but just started researching and I'm finding a lot of mixed opinions. I know that for an infant, it won't make a ton of difference, but I was wondering if any of you have experience with Montessori schools and could provide any insight from experience of the positives/negatives. 

Re: Montessori

• Options
    Maybe not the exact experience you are wanting to hear... but I went to a Montessori school from ~ 2 years old through Kindergarten, started 1st grade at the elementary school (I still think it is weird that I didn't go to Kindergarten with everyone else - like I skipped it or something).

I remember having a very good experience and remember having counting beads where were were counting the longest gold set to 1,000.  I just remember that being a lot for a 4/5 year old.  In general I tended to do better in math/science but that could have been due to a multitude of factors... none of which could've been the Montessori early childhood education.

What aspects are you worried about?
  • Options
    @michaela080 Math/science is definitely a good area to excel in!
    I'm not necessarily worried, but I have read that there is less structure and more self direction, which overall I think is good...but how well does that translate to starting school which is definitely a structured environment? 
    The other option would be a Primrose school which seems to be overly structured and the complete opposite. I guess I just wasn't thinking I'd have to be considering what learning styles we find best for our child so early on. 
    I also know we could always switch if we find she needs a different approach. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @MKRLTX Montessori is very much into independence for children. When they are older they set the table for themselves, clean up after themselves, etc. I also know they don't do traditional circle time they do line time or something. They also have a lot more natural toys and items in the classroom. I just finished my early childhood education degree and I wish I would have done one of my student teaching semesters at a Montessori school! Just to see the differences. 
    I would say for infants through like 2 years you can pretty much send them wherever. After that I think they need more structure.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have been looking at them too. The one near my house can start with infants, which I didn't realize was a thing. I'm weighing that versus having a nanny at the beginning. I think they generally have more teachers per student than traditional day care, but I could be wrong. My cousin who is 6 now has been going to Montessori school since she was 2 and they love it and she seems to thrive in that environment.
  • Options
    I think @mtvkv5 is right about more teachers/less kids. It really makes a difference when those ratios are smaller!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @mtvkv5 This one starts as early as 6 weeks too, but the director said the actual montessori curriculum clearly isn't applying to the infant classroom, just some of the principles. 
    Thank you all for the insight so far. 

• Options
    My kids are in a center that uses emerging interests to drive the lessons... the teachers essentially get creative to incorporate all areas of milestones/learning into their lesson plans based on what the kids are interested in - World at Their Fingertips.  We've been really happy with it, it allows all students to grow at where they are at developmentally vs. forcing each child into a mold just because they are in a certain class or are a certain age.  My boys have thrived in this environment, they just get so excited... whether it is dinosaurs, nature, weather, holidays... 

Our center has lower ratios but it isn't Montessori, it is actually a lot lower than state requirements but not sure how it compares to Montessori or even if all Montessori centers are the same.

https://www.brighthorizons.com/programs/care-school-curriculum

Also, I didn't give the learning style much thought when picking a center, I was focused on ratios, cleanliness, administration, teachers, and flexibility for parenting choices that I was adamant about...  At my center they call parents a child's 'first teacher' meaning that they understand our role and where they fall into a child's learning dynamic/environment.

• Options
    My 3&5 yr olds are at Montessori school and we love it.  My daughter has a late birthday so she will go for 4yrs where as most kids go for 3yrs (2 preschool yrs and a kindergarten year). She really needed that extra year because she had a hard time at being self motivated and choosing what kinds of work to do.  Her teachers actually require during the last 1.5yrs that the older students do a math, reading and writing cycle before they are allowed to have "free choice" of all the work in the classroom/practical life room.  During their kindergarten Year they spend some time doing "traditional" school work aka sitting at a desk doing worksheets to help them transition to a traditional classroom in first grade.  

BTW any school or daycare can call themselves Montessori but only certain ones are actually certified.  Not to say uncertified ones aren't great schools, I just don't think you should pay $$$$ for a nonaccredited program.  

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options
    I taught Montessori for about 2 years and I think it's nice. The children always have a choice on weather or not they want to do anything such a that days lesson. 
    Me: 22 DH: 27
    BFP: 9/29 
  • Options
    My understanding is that it is much more popular in UK and Europe than say, the US. I like the idea but I also think it depends on the child. If your child craves structure then they may struggle later with self-motivation and accountability. I do believe the mainstream curriculum puts too much emphasis on learning numbers, reading, writing too early and the Montessori program allows children to learn by playing, harness their empathy, inderpendance and manners etc. which is super important at that age and makes learning academics easier later down the track. 
    Look into European and even Japanese early learning, there is plenty of information out there about how children in other cultures have less structure or minimal reading/writing/arithmetic early on and still excel when they are older. 
    I think as long as you are supporting their education by learning at home too they will succeed in whichever program you choose, especially at such a young age.
  • Options
    As a classroom teacher, I find that the transition from Montessori to public is very difficult for most students. Not to say that their philosophy is wrong, it just doesn't transfer well to public. following routines is huge in the lower grade levels at my school. 
  • Options
    @heath313 I appreciate the feedback. That is my biggest concern. We discussed last night and for the infant stage the convenience of this location is worth it to us. Once she gets a little older we will reasses and see where we think she will do best for preschool. 
  • Options
    Our 3 yo DD is currently in a play-based nursery school, it isn't montessori but they place a high value on self-directed exploration in addition to structured class activities.

I have a few concerns about how this will transfer to a more conventional elementary education setting. For a variety of reasons... in terms of structure, length of day, size of class, curriculum model, etc. However, I think that kids are resilient and adaptable at that age and parental engagement is key.

I'd also mention I have my eye on a longer term trajectory. I want both of our children to be successful in a school setting (which I realize all parents do!). I think for us this means the ability to follow the routines and structures within a classroom, but also to have agency and autonomy. I work in higher education and the number of students who are unprepared for college is significant. Its a huge transition from a family and school space that guided them through to the independence of university life. Most don't know how to advocate for their needs or structure their own time.

I know most of us are a long way away from that, it feels like forever. But having worked with traditional college students for 8 years, this is not a blip on a radar and is a part of their life-long education. An education that values structure and autonomy is a high priority for me!