February 2017 Moms

Ask a STM January

Re: Ask a STM January

• @lemieuxk how much does she weigh now? I got the Ktan for newborn stage and a ring sling. 
  • @lemieuxk we got an Ergo as well but also got the infant insert for it in case he was under 7lbs. I didn't want to buy 2 carriers but knew I for sure wanted the Ergo eventually. I haven't used it, obviously, so hopefully it is a legit thing.
  • Loading the player...
  • The 7 lb minimum is actually with the newborn insert. Without it the minimum is 12 lbs. She's just over 5 lb now.

Now that I wrote it out I feel like this is a dumb question, newborns obviously want to be held, I guess the reality of it being literally all day and night wasn't real to me until she was here and all I can think is what will I do when H goes back to work.
  • @lemieuxk I'm in the same boat! LO likes to be held but I can't use the carrier I have until she's 8 lbs. She's close to 7 now so I'm just going to wait it out, but if she was smaller I would probably get a wrap.
  • lemieuxk said:
    The 7 lb minimum is actually with the newborn insert. Without it the minimum is 12 lbs. She's just over 5 lb now.

Now that I wrote it out I feel like this is a dumb question, newborns obviously want to be held, I guess the reality of it being literally all day and night wasn't real to me until she was here and all I can think is what will I do when H goes back to work.

Oh damn, I must have misread the box. I'll have to go an double check that, thanks for letting me know!
  • @lemieuxk Don't feel dumb in the slightest. It seems like a common sense thing, but honestly until you live it, it's kind of hard to wrap your mind around. Honestly it's one of the things I'm kinda freaking out about the most. Just the constant neediness and whatnot. We have a four year old and she's fairly independent now so it's going to be a big shift.

I got a K'tan so that way I can have my hands, otherwise I might go crazy.
    BFP #1: DD born on 08.25.12 BFP #2: 09/08/15 miscarried at 6w BFP #3: DD2 born on 02.07.17
  • Learn to live as a one armed person. 
    This is what I was going to say. 
  • @lemieuxk my 4yr old was this way as a newborn. He would also only sleep when I held him. Just wanted to say I know how exhausting it is!! Sometimes I could sneak away to get something done with a tight swaddle and putting him in the swing. Otherwise agree to babywearing and/or getting good at doing things one handed. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Although I'm sure it's not recommended, our daughter either wanted held, or put in her swing or her carrier. I thought it was maybe because the swing and carrier were more snuggle like that laying down. The second she was laid down on her back in a bed, she'd wake up screaming. Maybe you could try to swaddle and place her in a swing or carrier long enough to shower (or if desperate nap) I actually brought our daughters carrier in the bathroom with me while I showered so if something wasn't right I could just immediately stop mid shower and get out, I don't remember actually having any issues though.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @scottipino that's super similar to me answering work emails on my maternity leave. 

• Pretty ring sling!!!!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Is anyone doing or did big brother/big sister gift bags? I'm trying to come up with something cool and sweet, but most of the Pinterest ideas are a bit young for my 6 &7 year olds. 
  • @tishb both of the older kids are getting a little gift from their new sibling. I did it last time too. But my kids are younger so idk if it would apply for you. For ds(5) he's getting a new ds game. Something he wants and can also help occupy him while I'm more busy with baby. Dd(2) is getting her own baby doll carrier. She loves trying to put on the ones I have for baby but they're too big obviously and she already has a million baby dolls, so I thought she'd like this and she can take care of her baby while mommy takes care of new baby. 
    . Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • @tishb We got a gift from the new baby for DD for when she comes to meet her. She's 4 and loves the movie moana, so I got her a singing moana Barbie (she didn't get one for Christmas). I wouldn't think it's necessarily have to be a big brother/sister bag unless you want it to. It could just be something that they would be excited to get as a gift.

You guys, I'm really banking on this gift hopefully making a smooth transition into sisterhood for DD. I know when my brother came home I was NOT happy at all and I got really sad, but I was also 10 and had been an only child up until that point. Fingers crossed this helps and DD1 doesn't feel the way I did!
    BFP #1: DD born on 08.25.12 BFP #2: 09/08/15 miscarried at 6w BFP #3: DD2 born on 02.07.17
  • tishb said:
    Is anyone doing or did big brother/big sister gift bags? I'm trying to come up with something cool and sweet, but most of the Pinterest ideas are a bit young for my 6 &7 year olds. 
    I wouldn't say it's at all sweet, but my Lego & batman obsessed 4 year old is getting the Lego Joker's steamroller set. He has a Lego batman book that shows it and he wants it so badly! He will be beyond thrilled with baby's gift!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @ohstars I really like that you had the kids exchange a gift!! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Those are some good ideas ladies. It's been just the 4 of us for over 6 years now, so I'm just trying to make the transition smooth! I also like the idea of something to entertain them when I'm busy with baby.
  • So what is the likelihood that you lose your mucous plug/have your bloody show assuming you go into labor on your own? I know the stats are like only 10% of women have their water break on their own, is there one for MP? I just feel like labor should happen in the next couple of weeks because my contractions hurt so bad and I just feel sick all the time. But I haven't lost my MP or anything
  • kswiger06kswiger06 member
    edited January 2017
    @jlellis603 I'm not sure what the statistics would be in general, but I lost my MP within a couple days of labor with both my other kids. Hmmm I'll be googling now lol

Update it sounds like some women lose their MP in an obvious amount, and some lose it so slowly they wouldn't be able to distinguish it from their regular discharge. Some women go into labor shortly after and some not for weeks. It's looking like losing the MP doesn't mean much of anything too significant.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • kswiger06 said:
    @jlellis603 I'm not sure what the statistics would be in general, but I lost my MP within a couple days if labor with both my other kids. Hmmm I'll be go ogling now lol
    Hmm good to know that it was just a couple of day, even if that was just you and not universal. I'm pretty sure I'd take the advice given here over dr. Google so I didn't go there yet!
  • @jlellis603 I did Google it, but it didn't give me anything all that exciting lol
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kswiger06 bummer, guess we'll just chalk it up to the mystery of "is this it??" Haha
  • So what is the likelihood that you lose your mucous plug/have your bloody show assuming you go into labor on your own? I know the stats are like only 10% of women have their water break on their own, is there one for MP? I just feel like labor should happen in the next couple of weeks because my contractions hurt so bad and I just feel sick all the time. But I haven't lost my MP or anything
    I don't think it means anything. I've already lost mine and I'm having tons of contractions like you... but here I am still! I also lost it a few weeks before labor with my daughter too. We all need a crystal ball!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @jlellis603 fwiw i lost mine on the wed (after a sweep the day before) & my waters broke early on the sat morning. I still had to be given induction drugs to help bring on proper contractions aswell so i dont think theres any hard & fast rules with any of it. The usual babies will come when theyre good & ready rule still applies, which probably isnt what you want to hear. Feel free to side eye me for even saying it!
  • Thanks all! I kind of figured experiences would be all over the place but just wanted to be sure! Like probably most of us here, just looking for any and all signs that baby will one soon hahah
  • I remember constantly looking for it with my last one and as far as I'm concerned it never came out, LOL. Wouldn't a crystal ball be nice?
    Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I asked my sisters (4 kids bw them both) and neither of them remembers losing theirs either! The one googled it and was like, nope would have remembered that. So, @jlellis603 don't be too discouraged, maybe you won't notice. Actually, hopefully this didn't add to your anxiety! 
  • I'm not sure anything could add on to my anxiety right now haha! I just dont like not knowing when things are going to happen so this is driving me insane!
  • Do people use blackout curtains in their nursery?  Baby will be in our room for a few months and we don't have them (I was considering getting them but long story short I wanted a new comforter set, can't find one, and don't want to buy curtains until I know what the bed will look like).  I need to buy curtains for the nursery for when we eventually move baby in there (probably around 6ish months) and was going to buy blackout curtains.  I've been reading people say they are a must but how necessary are they?  Wouldn't it be good for the baby to adjust to the light depending on the time of day?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @CurlyCupcake21 FTM so no experience, but both my sisters said not to. They did and then when they weren't at home it was a nightmare getting the baby to sleep. Their second ones they did regular and didn't have the same issues.  I can see the advantage of both sides though....
  • @CurlyCupcake21 We didn't have them with DD and she slept just fine, even in our east facing bedroom with sheer-ish curtains. 
  • @CurlyCupcake21 - We got blackout blinds for under our curtains but it's somewhat for myself.  The nursery is the only room on our main floor without wooden blinds (from the previous owners) and it gets really bright in there when 1. there's a full-ish moon or 2. there is snow on the ground (last night was ridiculous).  The nursery is right off our master bedroom and we will be sleeping with both doors open for the near future; so, I want to be able to keep things really dark at night.  Since I can't sleep at night unless it's pitch black, it was definitely a selfish move.  Not sure we'll use them for day time darkening.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ok, this makes me feel better!  We have sheer curtains in our master and the baby will be sleeping there for a while.  I had been googling and people on other message boards were adamant that babies basically couldn't live without them.  But I have a friend that uses them at home all the time with hers and he has trouble sleeping at daycare where they don't have them.  I certainly don't want that to happen!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've also heard not to since then they will always need complete darkness in order to sleep, even when they are older.