December 2016 Moms

All Things Feeding

Re: All Things Feeding

• @ea301 The app says one of the signs of the second leap is wanting to breastfeed all day long, but not really drinking.

I've thought about getting the wonder weeks book that the app is based off of, just to get more detailed information. Has anyone else gotten the book?
  • Just curious.... who else here is EPing? (Exclusively pumping)
    I am, @DiFazette and @dmontgo
    I am as well
    Me too.
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• Loading the player...
  • gowenc said:

I've thought about getting the wonder weeks book that the app is based off of, just to get more detailed information. Has anyone else gotten the book?
    Was wondering the same thing. Are the app and the book pretty much the same information?

I also saw on Amazon there is a wonder weeks milestone guide, does anyone have that? 
  • You can purchase book chapters in the app. Just remember that the leaps take place based upon due date, not birth date. So none of the December babies have hit the week 9 leap.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• Yeah, the app says it can start as early as 7.5 weeks...which would be next week for us! I feel like we just got through the 4-5 week one...
  • I'm on android and have the Wonder Weeks app, had it for DS as well
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Does anyone have difficulty nursing under a cover when you are out? My little guy gets so warm he always falls asleep and doesn't get a full feeding. It really throws us off! 
    Baby Boy 3 is on the way! 
    Due 1/21/17
  • @jennbaylor12 oo really! I'll see if i can find it
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I have the wonder weeks book it has so much more info than the app. We are going thru leap 1 now and are exhausted!
    Me: 38, DH: 36 
    Married Jan 2008 
    DD Baby Bells born Dec 2016 5 lbs, 12 oz, 18" <3 so in love <3
    Due with #2 Baby Arya EDD February 2020

• Have you tried nursing without a cover? @scgirl6113 You can try covering with a muslin blanket. Those are pretty light weight. 
  • @Sharkey he does great at home when we don't use a cover but I feel awkward in public without one. A light music blanket is a good idea though! I'll have to try it! Maybe we will practice at home. 
    Baby Boy 3 is on the way! 
    Due 1/21/17
  • wanted to share this super easy lactation cookie recipe I made last night. I was noticing a small decrease in supply since my H has been back to work and Ive had to go longer in between pump sessions.  I had 2 cookies last night and the milk is flowing this morning! I'm up to almost 7 ounces and it's still coming. 

https://theherbalhealingmama.com/2015/08/08/katrinas-no-bake-lactation-cookies/amp/

• jandd2014jandd2014 member
    edited January 2017
    EPing this weekend to track how much DD is eating. She didn't gain any weight all week after I started using the nipple shield, so pedi thought maybe she wasn't getting enough milk.
    Also, no improvement in her allergy symptoms since cutting out soy (and dairy and eggs) last week so we may stop BFing and be moving on to super sensitive formula. It's that or cut out wheat and nuts next.
    I'm struggling with all this. I know fed is best, but I have fought through the pain to continue to BF and now it's still not working. And its not worth it to limit my diet so much, just to continue to BF.  :(

ETA- we go back Monday to see how this weekend went
    <3 D 2014 
    DD- 11/2016
  • Good luck Monday @jandd2014 - you are right, fed is best, but I understand your feelings. You have done an awesome job. 

My current complaint is that my dang nipples still hurt. My LC said that they're probably going to continue to hurt the entire time I BF because we have no latch problems, there is no physical trauma, and LO doesnt seem to notice my pain.  Waaahhh. 

• @jandd2014 I feel you. We're having weight gain issues here, too. All seemed fixed and now he's slowed again. Also going back to LC Monday. Totally sympathize with your pain. Logically I know fed is best, but there's something in me that just feels like I've failed mom job number one by not being able to feed my baby. 
  • Shout out to all the EPing moms. I only EPed for three days and that was hard!!
    DD gained 3 oz over the weekend, so the doctor was happy. We are going back to using the nipple shield again this week and go back for another weight check on Friday, then evaluate the options depending on if she can continue to gain this week using the nipple shield. 
    <3 D 2014 
    DD- 11/2016
  • @jandd2014 Hugs on the weight gain issues. That's awesome she gained well over the weekend! You're doing awesome!
  • Yay for the weight gain @jandd2014!
  • Hey friends. I have a question and hope someone has advice or tips. So I am trying my best to EBF using a nipple shield. Long story short, my nipples are on the flat side, so we needed the firmness of the shield. Problem is, baby won't open her mouth wide enough to latch well. Anyone have tips for getting a big open mouth? Saying "open wide!" isn't quite cutting it. TIA!

• @ea301 - my LC told me to "tickle" the area under the baby's nose to get him to open wide and then basically shove my nipple into his mouth when he did open.  But I'm not using a nipple shield so I'm not sure if it works the same way.
  • @ea301 As my LC says "nose to chin, shove them in". Run the nipple in line from under their nose down to their chin. Then rest it between their nose and top lip until they open wide. The nipple there should trigger them to open. Then latch quick!
  • Boob sandwich. Compress the area around your nip, then point your nip upwards along their top lip, and shove it in. 
  • Thanks all! Will give it a try. It sucks because I have less leverage with the shield but Im sure there is a way to make it work. Fingers crossed...

• Okay I have another one. (Sorry!)

Does anyone else have a LO who wants to feed constantly at night? I am trying my best to BF on demand but this is crazy. For example tonight she has 4 oz of expressed breastmilk in a bottle at 730ish, then breastfed for 20 mins at 830 and another 20 mins at 9. I tried to get her to settle into sleep afterwards and it actually worked for a minute. Then she woke up after 5 minutes wanting to breastfeed again at 1015 and now again at 11! I am exhausted from trying to get her to relax and its so disheartening that she only sleeps 5-10 mins at a time before wanting more! I hope its not just me?

• @ea301 Totally not just you. Sounds like Ladin cluster feeding to me. Milk supply is lowest at night. And babies just like to comfort suck after a long day. 

This helped me when we were having a rough time: https://kellymom.com/parenting/parenting-faq/fussy-evening/
  • Could very well be cluster feeding. I have personal experience with that, though.   
  • yup I agree with PPs @ea301, it sounds like cluster feeding. Are you sure she is feeding, or is she just comfort suckling? How old is your LO? Babies tend to cluster feed to increase your milk supply. It should not last too many days, by the time I accepted that I had a cluster feeder, she stopped LOL. She now sleeps 8-10 hrs a night. It may change during the next growth spurt, but for now we are enjoying it. Hang in there mamma!
    ******TW******Siggy warning
    BFP1 04/24/2015 EDD Dec 2015 MMC 10W5d;
    BFP 2 09/25/2015 EDD June 2016 MMC 9wks; 
    BFP 3 03/22/2016 EDD Dec 6th 2016 

• Thanks gals... Cluster feeding does sound right. Is it normal to *start* at 10pm and go into the early morning hours though? I am fine with on demand feeding but those hours are brutal. She is 10 wks old and I'm trying to start getting into a better bedtime routine.

@queenklau it sounds like she's swallowing but I do think some of it is suckling for comfort. 8-10 hrs per night sounds heavenly! I'm jealous! 

• my LO used to cluster feed from 9pm through 2am...not unheard of.
    I have heard it is def. more common 5,6-9pm, 
    ******TW******Siggy warning
    BFP1 04/24/2015 EDD Dec 2015 MMC 10W5d;
    BFP 2 09/25/2015 EDD June 2016 MMC 9wks; 
    BFP 3 03/22/2016 EDD Dec 6th 2016 

• @ea301 it sounds like cluster feeding. But I would only do it until your boobs are empty, then sneak a binky in there. 
    Also, ditto to what the other ladies said about th boob sandwich. As soon as their mouth is open, shove it in quickly! It might seem a
    little aggressive, but that's the secret.
    Good luck! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I think we identified a problem tonight. She is sucking my nipple through the holes in the shield. First of all, ouch! And second of all, we think that it may be impacting how much milk she can get out. Has anyone else dealt with this? I'm pretty sure I will need to try to transition onto the breast only w/o shield but not sure of my stupid nipples will go along with it. The struggle is so real. 

• @ea301 we're still trying to figure out if using the nipple shield is working for DD. Last week we used it but then she didn't gain any weight the whole week so we had to pump over the weekend to track intake. I'm back to using the shield this week and we go back to the doctor on Friday to check weight again. I don't know if she's sucking my nipple through the holes in the shield, but we are concerned that she isn't getting enough milk out when I use the shield. So no real advice, but yes, I know the struggle!
    <3 D 2014 
    DD- 11/2016
  • @jandd2014 i hear you! I hope the doctor visit helps give you peace of mind and you can continue with whats comfortable 

• Quick question: I've been having good success with BF, A has a great latch so normally it's fine. Last night he fussed for three hours and then slept for three hours. I made the mistake of only giving him one side Durin those six hours since I was side-lying. Now the other side is extremely painful. I'm assuming this is engorgement but it's not like I want to cut my supply. I just need it to get back on track. Any suggestions? I've been continuing our normal BF schedule but the pain is somewhat debilitating.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • It sounds like the beginning of plugged ducts. Try massaging it out while nursing or pumping. That should help clear everything out.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• Heating pad and hand warmers in my bra also worked wonders for me!

• EP'ing mommas, are your nipples sore? Like really sore? I feel like mine have deep bruises all the time.... maybe from the constant q3hr suctioning? 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @jennbaylor12 do you use the Medela? I noticed my Medela attachments kill my nips so I use the Ameda ones the hospital gave me (they are compatible with my Medela pump) more often as they are much more gentle on my nips. Not sure what it would cost to buy them but it's a huge difference for me.
  • @LandJ13 - I do have the Medela....very interesting. Thanks!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @ea301 @Kate08Young Thanks for the tips! I kept up with massaging and warm and cold compresses. Had a fever all day yesterday but today it seems to be gone and now I'm just sore. Never got hard though... which is what I thought I was looking for.
    Pregnancy Ticker