Pregnant after IF

Food Aversions and Craving Carbs

edited January 2017 in Pregnant after IF
Hey ladies,

I am 7 weeks, 4 days today. So, still very early. I have started feeling a little big more queasy the past 2 days, especially today. I havent gotten sick, but I have a nauseated feeling in my stomach a lot of the day. 

I also have some pretty strong food aversions that make most 'healthy' things sound really bad to my pregnant brain. The only thing I really want is carbs. Like, I could eat a loaf of bread with peanut butter and be happy. Or a bowl of rice or noodles. 

I worry that I'm on the path to gaining too much weight in the first trimester which I still have more than a month left of. Pre-pregnancy I tended to eat pretty healthy, but I have no interest in salads or carb-less entrees, not even fish- in fact I am experiencing a pretty strong aversion to all things fish!

Has this happened to others? Does it concern you that you aren't getting the good nutrients to the baby that you hoped for? Any tips to survive the nausea and aversions of 1st trimester? Does it really go away in trimester 2?

Thanks yall.

Edit to say:: I also was pretty regimented about doing yoga- but now I pretty much can't do it at all. I feel like I'm not being as healthy as I'd hoped.
***TW***
DH & I both 34.
8/16: IVF, antagonist protocol 
21 eggs | 9 blasts | 7 normal through PGS
10/16: FET  = BFN  :(
12/16: Surprise natural BFP 
Beta 1: 177 | Beta 2: 483 | Beta 3: 8,755 | Beta 4: 39,007. Baby born 9/5/2017

NOW on sibling journey. 
2/20: FET = BFN :(
4/20: Surprise COVID BFP

Re: Food Aversions and Craving Carbs

• I had the same thing during 1st trimester. I didn't want anything except bread and pasta. Meat made me sick, even the sight of chicken. It did go away eventually so hoping it will go away for you too. I never took anything for nausea though. First trimester is hard with all the new symptoms, aversions, cravings, etc. Hang in there mama! 
    ***History & TW in Spoiler***

***bfp & child warning***
    TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IUI #1 - October 2015 - BFN
    IUI #2 - November 2015 - BFN
    IUI #3 - December 2015 - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Retrieval #1 - April 2016
    FET #1 - May 2016 - BFP!!! DS - Born January 2017
    Trying for baby #2...
    FET #2 - January 2018 - BFN  
    No more embryos left; switched to a new RE
    IVF/Retrieval #2 - January 2019
    IVF/Retrieval #3 - March 2019
    FET #3 - April 2019 - BFP!!! - DD: Born December 2019
    Trying for baby #3...
    FET #4 - October 2021 - BFP!!! - Due June 2022

• I pretty much only wanted carbs from about week 7 to week 12 due to food aversions and 24/7 nausea. The only other thing that did help was having a smoothie every morning which settled my morning tummy rumbles/nausea and provided some nutrients - I added frozen fruit to fresh super green salad mixes and blended with juice and milk. And I made sure to take my prenatal, additional DHA, and Vitamin D. I was concerned about weight gain as well, especially since I couldn't exercise and spent so much time in bed, and was afraid at my last appointment they'd tell me I'd gained at least 10lbs. But I actually lost 2lbs between weeks 9 and 13, which put my total first trimester gain at 4lbs. I know everyone is different but the day I hit 13 weeks nausea, most food aversions, and exhaustion vanished. My appetite is still a little off but I'm able to eat healthy again and started back at the gym, including yoga, last week. Hopefully this will also be the case for you, if not sooner!
  • Loading the player...
  • @omarismyhomeboy - I did the same exact thing and was not gaining weight. I just started feeling this way again at 22 weeks. My OB said eat what ever I want just make sure that I am eating things that have protein in them. She said that if something sounds good just make sure that you eat the highest fat that it comes in so that you are getting the nutrients you need. She said to eat nuts, full fat milk in anything you order and avocado, these things are packed full of nutrition, but you dont need to eat much to get them. 

**Trigger warning**

Age: 25 DH: 28 Together since 2011, Married May 2014 and TTC since April 2015

MFI (3% morphology) 

3/16 - IUI with femara & ovidrel - BFN

4/16 - IUI with femara & ovidrel - BFN

6/16 IUI with femara & ovidrel - BFN

8/19/16 - IVF - 

• Retrieval 9/4
    • Transfer 9/6
    • 9/16 - BFP 1st Beta -110 
    • 9/20 - 2nd beta - 762
    • TWINS!!!! EDD 5/28/2017

• I don't have any tips, but might have a reassurance:
    I was horrible sick the first trimester, I couldn't keep down anything, food or liquids. So I had horrible nutrition and no exercise.
    My 2nd trimester it got better, but lived mostly on apples and mac&cheese and pancakes. Halfway 2nd I actually could eat more foods and my last trimester I ate proper and healthy again.
    My little girl never suffered, she takes what she needed. Mind you I did take my prenatal vitamins, so I would have that covered. (And tried to keep those inside)
    Just saying that it takes a lot for your LO to be in trouble. Of course it's not ideal, but try to relax and eat what you can. Appetite might come back eventually!

**********************************************************************************************************************************

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Just take a pregnancy multivitamin and do the best you can and don't beat yourself up about it.

There are lots of suggestions for keeping nausea at a minimum but my best advice is to never let yourself get too hungry.
    You will (hopefully) feel better soon and can pick up your exercise and healthy eating again. 
  • Thank you everyone!
    ***TW***
    DH & I both 34.

NOW on sibling journey. 

• The exact opposite happened to me.  I was a super bad junk food eater... like I mean fast food several times a week. But at 6 weeks it changed and I wanted salads and fresh fruit.  I was also so sick each day I could hardly move.  I was concerned about it bc I lost 4 lbs and my OB said that your body will tell you what it needs and you're good with things in moderation.  Like the other ladies said baby takes what it needs.  Continue to take your prenatal and stay hydrated.  Drinking enough water throughout the day changed everything for me.
  • I'm the same - from week 5 to about week 9 all I wanted was spaghetti, I couldn't stand fish (still can't) and wasn't eating very well when normally I do. It went away for me...I did love pineapple at the same time. I added 1250mg of Omega to my prenatal vitamin since I didn't want salmon or eggs. 
    Me: 37 DH: 37 - Married 10.2015 ❤️ Canadian 
    DX: Endometriosis - Stage 4, DOR, RPL
    TTC #1 07.2015
    03.2016 - Natural BFP - MC 5w4d
    04.2016 - Natural BFP - Chemical
    10.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = IUI Cancelled (cyst/no mature follicle)
    11.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFP, EDD 08.2017 - It's a BOY!
    TTC #2 06.2019
    08.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = Chemical
    09.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFN
    10.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #3 = BFN
    01.2020 - IUI w/ Injections #4 = BFN
    08.2020 - Natural BFP - MC 9w5d
    11.2020 - IVF Retrieval - 3AB & 4BB
    05.2021 - FET #1 = BFP, EDD 02.2022 - It's a BOY!

• Felt the same way @omarismyhomeboy! Don't worry. I fully indulged in my cravings for mac&cheese, grilled cheese, and all things pasta (with cheese). I really only felt this way from weeks 7-9. Like pp said, try nuts, beans, and avocado to pack in the protein!

One thing I will mention is that I got used to not exercising. So when I got my energy back in the 2nd trimester, I stopped sleeping as much but didn't start exercising again. I have gotten back into the gym habit, but I regret not doing it sooner. It's harder the longer you wait. But for now, just enjoy indulging in carbs and sleeping as much as you want! <3
    *TW - Pregnancy mentioned*
    Me: 28 DH: 33, Married May 2014
    3 failed IUIs Dec '15 - Feb '16
    IVF April/May 2016 - 1 failed fresh transfer. 11 snow angels.
    1st FET 7/29/16 = BFP
    Lawson arrived on 4/24/2017 at 7lbs 15oz, 21 1/2 inches long!
    Surprise pregnancy!! Baby #2 due 10/11/18 <3
  • I'm going to echo many of the people who have already posted. I was sick as a dog and had TERRIBLE food aversion until week 16. Eat what you can, take your multivitamin, and when you feel better, do better. I had been clean eating up until I got pregnant, but once the aversion kicked in, I couldn't even do lettuce. I ate a lot of waffles and pasta and cereal.  Most evenings, I would drive around until I found a place that looked good to eat at. It was quite expensive lol. But now all is good and for the most part I'm back on my clean eating. Good luck!
    DX PCOS + mild male factor
    TTC since Dec. 2015
    Current Treatment: Metformin, Provera, Letrozole, Trigger, IUI
    Past Treatment: Clomid + Metformin x 3 BFN
    Letrozole 5 mg + Trigger shot + IUI = BFP!
    Beta confirmed 8/22
    EDD 5/1/17
  • Yall are so helpful and calming. Thank you!
    ***TW***
    DH & I both 34.

NOW on sibling journey. 

• I am right there with you! 7w +1 today and up until a few days ago, I haven't had much going on in the way of symptoms. But now the idea of food in general makes me feel so gross. I tried to eat salmon at lunch today and I just about lost it. I'd say eat what you can get down in moderation. That and PNV, the babe will be fine. We can focus on eating better when we actually want to eat. Good luck!
    *TW below*
    Me: 40 DH: 38
    TTC since November 2012
    BFP IUI Cycle 2 Dec 2016
    Baby Boy Due Sept 12 2017
    Elias (Eli) born 9/2/17 at 7:07pm weight 8lbs 10oz and 20.5 inches long!!

• edited February 2017
    I feel the same way, all I want is carbs but unfortunately I am also a type 2 diabetic so I can't eat the carbs or else my blood sugar will go sky high so I've been making low carb replacements ...zucchini ravioli ....fried "rice" made with riced cauliflower ....it gives me the sense of eating the carbs but I'm really just eating lots of veggies and I haven't gained any weight thanks to this 

however if you can't stomach the veggies and you have no medical reason why you can't, enjoy the carbs and listen to your body :) 
    Me: 36 years old   DH: 42 years old
    Married: 05.2012  
    TW:
    TTC #1 Since April 2016
    HSG/FSH/AMH/E2/SA all normal DX: unexplained IF

spontaneous BFP 01/01/2017-  Alexander was born sleeping 04/13/2017 at 19w1d  ic/chorio
    September 2017 HSG #2 & Gonal-F/Femara/Ovidrel/IUI #1 = ep (Salpingectomy of left fallopian tube)
    spontaneous BFP 01/02/2018  EDD Aug 30th  It's a GIRL!
    Cerclage placed on 03/02BabyFruit Ticker  Cerclage removal 08/02
  • Another tip is to get your man in the kitchen! If you have a partner who doesn't cook it's a good time for him to get in practice as it will be super useful after the baby arrives and you are stuck feeding! 
    My partner likes cooking anyway but when my morning sickness was bad he did all the cooking. I could eat a healthy meal but I couldn't handle the smell of raw meat or cooking smells.