March 2017 Moms

growth scan

I had a growth scan today at 34w, 2days and baby is measuring 2 weeks ahead at a whopping 6 lbs, 7 oz.! That's a full term baby! The doctor there said she's not concerned because they could be to a pound off, and there's up to 15% margin of error. I scheduled another growth scan for week 38 and a bunch of non-stress tests. However, when I went for my bi-weekly checkup this evening, the doctor in my practice, she basically is rooting for me to go early naturally, saying that if I don't then I'm going to have to start thinking about a C-section. She's funny too, said I need to start having sex to get this baby out. I'm 34 weeks! Anyone else measuring big?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: growth scan

• Yeah, just because a baby is 6 pounds does NOT mean their lungs are developed. Bad advice to try to get baby out now. And bad advice to assume you'll need a section. Assuming baby does gain half a pound a week, she'll be 9 pounds at 40 weeks. So not a reason for a c section. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • The growth scans are super inaccurate too. With my first doc measured her at under 7 pounds right before due date and she came out almost 10 pounds. He was super surprised and even joked saying that he didn't know where I was hiding such a big baby since I always measured on point per week.  
    Me: 35      Hubs: 27
    Married: 07/04/13
    BFP #1: 8/14/14, Baby Girl born 4/16/15
    BFP #2: 6/21/16, Baby Girl born 2/11/17
    BFP #3: 1/26/19, EDD 10/8/19
    Fur Babies: 2 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels (Piper and Mia)
  • Big baby isn't a reason for a CS! They can be big fat chunky babies but when their head fits through your pelvis it's a non issue. Skull plates overlap and are extremely mobile before/during birth.

Plus, even if the measurements are accurate, you'd be expecting a 9lb baby which isn't that big!!! 
  • My mom birthed a 10 lb 6 oz baby naturally (one of my brothers)...I agree with what the other ladies said
    Me (37) Hubby (39) Married since 4.2009
    EP:  2.17.2016
    DS:  3.4.2017

Pregnancy TickerDD: due 7.16.2019

• Not saying this is your situation but I had my first baby CS because the docs scared me into it based off of DD size. They didn't even let me labor they scheduled the CS. I wish I had questioned them. She was big but I wonder now if my body was capable and I'll never know. Now vbac is a "big risk" and my options are limited so they are trying to pigeonhole me for a RCS. When everything is said and done you should of course do what you think is right with your body.
  • Don't pay any attention to the growth scan.  At 34 weeks with DS1 they told me I had a big baby who would easily be 10 pounds at birth.  He was 7 pounds 11 oz and totally able to be birthed naturally (which is what I did).  Growth scans are known to be inaccurate and this late in the game are really used to tell positioning.  Also, allmthe sex in the world is not going to make that baby come until it is ready.  Just hang tight and enjoy your last few weeks of your pregnancy.
  • Thank you for the advice. This will probably be our last so a VBAC won't be a concern but I really don't want a CS if I don't have to. Him being premature wouldn't be ideal either but the thought of a 9-10lb baby is so scary!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • someone else touched on this but i've been told head size is a bigger deal than weight, as in a 7lb 8 oz  baby with a huge head is harder (not in any way impossible) than a 10 lb baby with an average head.
  • Old wives tale: big babies are good sleepers!