Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

How soon after MC did you have U/S?

ugh, not sure what I hate more, being in this group or seeing so many familiar names from other birth months. I started bleeding on Monday and got an U/S on Wednesday. The baby was still there but the heart beat was very low and growth way behind. I am certain that I had the miscarriage last night after my appointment. I had three hours of cramping with large thick blood clots. I have a second u/s scheduled in a little less than two weeks. They scheduled that one because if the baby hung on, they could be more certain about progress. I am trying to decide if I should get in earlier, mostly to get it over with or just wait until the appointment. I figure if I wait, it will give my body time to make sure all tissue has passed. 

Re: How soon after MC did you have U/S?

• I didn't have an ultrasound, since my loss was very early (started spotting at 4w3d and miscarried at 4w6d), but my clinic tracked my HCG levels. So I had my HCG tested at 4w3d, again two days later (to see if it doubled - it didn't, it decreased), and then another draw a week after my miscarriage. They wanted me to do weekly HCG testing until my levels were back down to 0 (which because my levels were so low to begin with, only took less than a week from the time I miscarried).

After 3 days of spotting, I had 6 days of heavy to moderate bleeding. Can I ask how far along you were, and did you pass the sac?

If it were me, I would ask to be seen earlier due to the bleeding ... waiting two weeks to know for sure would be torture and cause unnecessary stress for you. Thinking about you and sending hugs!
  • @KristiSigma I'm very sorry for your loss. I had my loss in the ER so I had a sono there, but I called my ob to let them know and they got me in 5 days after MC to follow up and have another US. I'm sure it will be ok to wait until your appointment, but it might help you to get it over with sooner. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I had to wait for the follow up. They refused to see me before then, I called. It was about 10 days. The good thing was at that point hormone levels were so low that I only had to come back one more time for blood work.
  • I was supposed to be 7W 5D but measured at 6W 1D. I passed all sorts of things but I couldn't tell what was what. I passed this golf ball size clear / whitish gelatinous ball. Could that be it? I tried researching it but people seemed to say that it was cervical mucus. Sorry if that is tmi. Otherwise it was large clots.  The paperwork I got said I was not very far along so I might not be able to see what passed. 

Maybe i I will call on Monday to see if I can get in early next week. I don't remember them saying if they would do blood tests or an u/s. 
  • @KristiSigma I'm so sorry for your loss :( This is somewhere nobody wants to end up. I was in your birth month club as well and went through something similar a little over a week ago. I went in for an U/S the day after passing all the clots just to make sure I had passed the baby. My doctor offered me a pill to help pass the rest of the tissue..he said it would cause painful contractions though, so I decided to just wait it out. He also wanted me to take a course of antibiotics to prevent infection, he checked my betas and blood to see if there was any sign of infection starting or deficiency in my blood that caused the MC. I bled for 7 days and now my hcg is back to 0. But it gave me piece of mind going in and getting everything checked out as soon as I could. 
    Its completely your choice. As long as you don't have a fever or feel sick, you're probably okay until your appointment. But if you want to get in early, I'm sure your doctor will understand and help you out. Sending thoughts and prayers your way.
    October 2017 May siggy challenge - Parenting fails

DS-02/25/16
    Pregnancy #2-Due 8/24/17 MMC-01/09/17
    DD-Due 10/24/17
    Pregnancy Ticker

• i went in for an ultrasound the day after my MC. I miscarried the day after Christmas and my office wasn't open that day. The ultrasound really just confirmed I had MC and that I had passed everything. So so sorry for you loss  :'(
  • Hey, @KristiSigma. Sorry to have another Aug17 mom join us here, but glad you found the board. I started bleeding 1/4 at 7w2d and was seen for my first US on 1/5 at 7w3d. Baby measured 6w and doc saw a HB with no reason for bleeding. *TMI* I had pretty bad contractions along with "lightning crotch" aka uterine dilation and bleeding full of clots later that night. I MC on 1/8 and the doc had me come in the next day for an US and HCG test to confirm (361), and then I had to head to the hospital for a rhogam shot since I'm O- and DH is O+.  I had another HCG test on 1/16 and was down to 53. Doc expects me to be at 0 next week. Not everyone drops so fast, particularly if there is retained tissue. Some people say they see whitish grey material and others (like me) see dark purplish red.
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • You've already received great advice, and I would call as well to see if they could get you in early due to passing things. I'm so sorry for your loss :( 

Me.30 DH.31 
    Est.8.2006
    BFP 8/28/15 mmc @ 11 weeks (d&c)
    BFP 9/28/16 mmc @ 8 weeks (d&c) - trisomy 5
    BFP 2/3/17...edd 10/13/17 <3

• Yes I remember @flowerintherain and @NYTino24 from A17. I believe @jen83mn was in the S15 with me. So sad for everyone's losses. The OB gave me a "miscarriage" bag at my last visit, which contained cytotec (spelling might be wrong) and it was up to me if I wanted to take it when I started to miscarry and wanted to help things along. I can't imagine there is much left in me, so I didn't take it. Sounds like everyone's doctor does things a little different, which is not surprising. 
  • @KristiSigma I was as far along as you were when it happened. For me, the sac was hard and an oblong shape and about the size of a tampon. Not sure what's normal though. My guess if it was hard then it was probably it.
    So sorry for your loss. 
  • I am so sorry for your loss.  I went in the day after for an U/S to make sure everything was done. I just felt that I needed to know. I called and requested it, so I'm not sure what the typical wait would have been.  If you call and ask, I bet they will get you in sooner. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My experience was the same as @rklinge0 - *TMI* about the size of my thumb and felt different than the other clots, like I had to push for a BM. */TM*
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • So sorry you find yourself here. No u/s after any of my losses. Only bw
    Siggy Warning--------

CP #1- due April 2017 lost 5.5 weeks
    cp #2- due May 2017 lost at 4.5 weeks
    iUI #1- BFN
    IUI #2-BFN
    IVF#1- transfer 2- BFP! Due October 2017 c/p#3 lost at 3.5 weeks
  • I went the morning after. Started bleeding in the afternoon on Friday and went in Saturday morning. By then I had already bled heavily and passed a number of large clots, so there was nothing in there when they looked. My OB requires you to go to their associated ED to make sure there's no ectopic. 
  • No u/s. The first time they didn't even draw blood work they just waited until I stopped bleeding. This time they are asking for follow up blood work. I'm so sorry that you find yourself here! This is never a place I where anyone wants to belong, but I can attest to just how healing the support of the ladies in this board can be. 
    Me 36 DH 38
    Married 1/22/10
    BFP #1 3/11 m/c 7w 3d blighted ovum
    BFP #2 5/11 DD born 1/12
    BFP #3 3/16 Chemical Pregnancy
    BFP #4 12/16 m/c 7w blighted ovum