February 2017 Moms

The Politics Post

Re: The Politics Post

• I feel so guilty about how much I've stepped away from political involvement the past few weeks. It's never been more important and yet I struggle with feelings of "I just can't right now". I almost wish I had Republican reps or Senators I could at least write letters to, but all of mine are fighting the good fight already. I'm so tempted to blow off birth class tomorrow, especially since it's geared toward my birth center and there's a decent chance I'm risking out on Tuesday anyway. Then I could at least go to my local March or something. 
  • Loading the player...
  • ME: 25, DH: 27

TTC #1 since 09/2015

Miscarriage @ 10 wks 02/28/2016

BFP 05/28/2016!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @Xstatic3333 I want to go to our local march but I keep reminding myself that this may be my last baby-free weekend and I really need to use it to be ready just in case.

+1 to stepping away a bit. I feel like there will be a ton of opportunities to get more involved. But I need to email my senators this weekend about the administration nomination picks.
  • I cried when Obama's helicopter left today. And I'm not even American.  :'(
  • Did you see his first act was to fuck people who couldn't afford to put 20% down on a house? 

:# 

What was it? 
  • ohstarsohstars member
    edited January 2017
    I saw the executive order on Obamacare that has very little details released. Unreal. But I missed whatever the homeowners thing is that Perra is talking about. 
  • Did you see his first act was to fuck people who couldn't afford to put 20% down on a house? 

Yes it's shameful! Obama had lowered the interest rate for FHA mortgages by 1/4 percent ( which is not a lot but would have meant an extra $500 or $1000 a year in savings for people who really need it)- and Trump reversed that today. It is just the tip of the iceberg though - lots of horrible changes coming 
  • I refused to watch any of the inauguration -- even the pre-coverage. Both for mental health and for my tiny part in driving him nuts by not giving him the ratings he so desperately wants. I've read that there were tons of empty seats and the Mall was nowhere near full -- it brings joy to my saddened soul because I know this is driving him CRAZY. It's the little things, right? 
  • I wake up to read that he's already destabilized the ACA by taking away the regulatory power to enforce it. Can't he see that this will literally kill people? Blood on his hands. I'm so sad. 

We would have never been able to put down that big a down payment at the time of when we bought our house and so we chose a FHA loan. What a great way to say "it already sucks for you middle to low class citizens, but let's make it suck a little bit more!"
  • FB is a much happier place today as it seems everyone I know is marching in DC <3
  • Ikr?! Apparently Bush 2 did this on his first day too, but couldn't you have waited a week so it wasn't such a middle finger?
  • A couple of liberal blogs and websites are posting that the EPA has frozen all grants and agreements. Nobody seems sure yet if this applies to active or future grants and agreements. I am all sorts of stressed out about this. If they freeze active grants for any length of time, so many of my colleagues are just out of a job. I'm lucky to be mostly state and a less-controversial federal agency funded right now, but two years ago I would have been right there with them. This could destroy nonprofits who work on a reimbursement basis and now just won't get paid for work already performed. 

I'm trying to stick to reputable news sources and this hasn't popped up on NYT or similar yet but I'm so anxious about it. So much good work going out the window. @Gretchypoo I think we're in similar fields and sectors. Have you heard anything?
  • Seriously @Gretchypoo. I'm not sure these people realize how much routine, essential work like testing drinking water is done wholly or partially under EPA grants and agreements. And the administration keeps trying to gaslight everybody with petty distractions and make me feel like the crazy one!
  • @PerraSucia I just read about this and came here to rant about it. God dammit I'm so pissed!!!! What POS!!!!
  • @Xstatic3333 EXACTLY! People were all upset about Flint but then they get pissy when new environmental protections are announced -- WHY DO YOU THINK THEY ARE BEING INTRODUCED? It is to protect your health, asshole. It is the ultimate privilege to oppose the EPA because those most likely to be affected are either poor, black, hispanic or rural (or some combination of the former.) 

@PerraSucia That made me see red. But I also am pissed at Obama for not stopping that shitshow a long time ago. Too many people have had to put their bodies in the way and have been hurt for this to stop. Water is Life!
  • @PerraSucia exactly!  I feel the same way about the anti-Hillary liberals in my circle (my brother in law included).
  • @Xstatic3333 you are exactly right, the epa is not a major concern of the average voter. But it is a major concern to his backers- the people who will financially benefit from coal, oil and gas. The rest of us are stuck with the consequences and now can't even afford the healthcare we'll need to recover when our house falls around our ears from a fracking earthquake or when our kids all have asthma from breathing in SO2, carbon and coal ash.
  • MommaBean said:
    Holy shit the executive orders and gag orders just keep coming. Are we sliding head first into a dictatorship?! WTAF?!
    I had this EXACT same thought this morning. Has he broken some kind of record for most executive orders signed in the first week??
  • Yeah, he's definitely proud of that pen.
    The last few weeks have definitely reshaped my opinions on certain family members, for the worse. Never realized I was related to so many misguided, judgemental assholes until now. Ugh. I can't handle any of it right now--I've cried more times and had more panic attacks in the last few weeks--mostly from Trumplethinskin and his actions--than I've had in the last six years combined. It hurts. 
  • lfrank12 said:
    MommaBean said:
    Holy shit the executive orders and gag orders just keep coming. Are we sliding head first into a dictatorship?! WTAF?!
    I had this EXACT same thought this morning. Has he broken some kind of record for most executive orders signed in the first week??
    Right? My husband says this is usual - a pres issuing lots of executive orders off the bat to make his first 100 days productive/"successful"... I can't believe these social media blackouts are even legal, though. 
  • Oh that's amazing. Good for them; this is all so ridiculous. 
  • This makes me so happy.

ME: 25, DH: 27

TTC #1 since 09/2015

Miscarriage @ 10 wks 02/28/2016

BFP 05/28/2016!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yeah, he's definitely proud of that pen.
    The last few weeks have definitely reshaped my opinions on certain family members, for the worse. Never realized I was related to so many misguided, judgemental assholes until now. Ugh. I can't handle any of it right now--I've cried more times and had more panic attacks in the last few weeks--mostly from Trumplethinskin and his actions--than I've had in the last six years combined. It hurts. 
    Omg, same here. I've had to "unfollow" so many family members & friends on FB. Even more so than during the election. 
  • You guys as a granddaughter of an Austrian immigrant married to a refugee immigrant I'm so sick right now. They're turning away Americans coming home from these countries. 
  • It's appalling. I want to stay informed, but the more I read the more distressed I become. Sure, I live in Canada and he's not my president, these are not my country's policies, etc., but that doesn't mean this isn't happening. It's so f^cked, I'm at a total loss.