April 2017 Moms
Options

heartburn or acid reflux?

Nolegirl1185Nolegirl1185 member
edited January 2017 in April 2017 Moms
Okay so this may be seriously stupid, but I don't know which one I have - heartburn or acid reflux.  I tried googling it lol but I keep finding heartburn is acid splashing up from the stomach and acid reflux is acid splashing into the esophagus.  Idk.  I just know that it has literally been CONSTANT all day today and on and off for the past week or so pretty badly. It will make me throw up at night even. I know many of you have bad heartburn so any hints on how to tell if it is in fact heartburn?  It doesn't hurt/burn/bother me in my chest (which is where I always thought heartburn was). 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: heartburn or acid reflux?

• Options
    I have GERD outside of pregnancy so right now it's awful.  I take Zantac 150 twice a day and eat Tums in between.  I've never really differentiated between the two, just always thought of them as the same thing.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Married: 12-04-06 
    Annabelle: 1-1-08
    Patrick: 8-15-10
    EDD: 4-20-17
  • Options
    I never thought about how they were different either. I get chest pain from it AND burning in my esophagus so it's all up and down that area.  And yeah it makes it up to my mouth on occasion too. Ick. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I thought it was the same? 

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • Options
    @cafedisco I remember you mentioned that remedy once before. I forgot it though so I'm definitely gonna try it soon. 
  • Options
    I agree with @cafedisco. I have reflux where acid actually comes up into my mouth (sick, I know) whereas heartburn feels more like discomfort in your chest. 
    BFP 9/13/2020 with Baby #3 <3  
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I've found that If I avoid acidic foods/drinks like coffee, anything tomato based, citrus fruits, etc I don't get any of this issue. Do you guys get it regardless?

i often have a cup of decaf early in the morning and as long as I drink enough water I don't get heartburn or reflux.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • Options
    @nolegirl1185 I wondered this myself.  It's just recently become an issue for me.  @cafedisco I am definitely going to try that nasty sounding concoction the next time it happens.
  • Options
    I have heartburn normally, and it's gotten so much worse the last few months! The only thing that has saved me are papaya enzymes. A nurse recommended them to me, and they've worked great so far. 
    Me: 29 DH: 31 Married: 9/17/2014
    1st child, 2 fur-babies
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    My brother swears that one green apple will rid you of heartburn.  He used to be a huge tums eater as he always had heartburn but recently switched to eating a green apple every night before bed.  He says he no longer has it - The few times I've tried it, it's worked for me.  But the reality is that you can't always have an apple with you so I do carry tums for the occassional day at work when I get it. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I never really realized that there was a difference, but I guess mine is more reflux.  I get it no matter what I eat...I even get it from drinking water.    
  • Options
    MWoodside said:
    I've found that If I avoid acidic foods/drinks like coffee, anything tomato based, citrus fruits, etc I don't get any of this issue. Do you guys get it regardless?

i often have a cup of decaf early in the morning and as long as I drink enough water I don't get heartburn or reflux.
    Certain foods are triggers for me too, but for me it can happen regardless.  I think my positioning matters more than anything.  So at night if I get lazy and lounge while reading or watching TV, no bueno. I need to be upright.  Luckily, once I'm asleep, it's ok but sometimes even just being in bed makes it hurt. 
    Me: 31
    DH: 36
    Married 5 years
    DD born 8/30/13
    #2 expected 4/25/17
  • Options
    Old wives tale: the more heartburn you have, the more hair your baby will have.

(I have nothing helpful to add, but sorry you are suffering).
    IVF/ICSI #1 - BFP, DS born Jan 2013
    IVF/ICSI #2 - BFP, DD born Feb 2015
    IVF FET - BFP, due April 2017

• Options
    Thanks EVERYONE!  Sounds like they are pretty similar.  I'm going to look into all your advice. I feel bad for you ladies who have had it for sometime or always have had it. This is crappy!
  • Options
    MWoodside said:

Sadly, I do get it regardless, but I've had it since high school.  Thank you, genetics!  I can mostly control it with my diet when not pregnant.  During pregnancy I have to take my medicine regularly or I get sick.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

I have heartburn normally, and it's gotten so much worse the last few months! The only thing that has saved me are papaya enzymes. A nurse recommended them to me, and they've worked great so far. 

My midwife recommended the same thing!  She said fresh, dried, or powdered pill form of papaya would help.  I haven't tried it yet, but I need to do it!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Beckyf321 said:

My midwife recommended the same thing!  She said fresh, dried, or powdered pill form of papaya would help.  I haven't tried it yet, but I need to do it!
    I use the powdered pill form. Usually I have 2 before bed, and 2 more in the middle of the night if it's really really bad. It's worked wonders!
    Me: 29 DH: 31 Married: 9/17/2014
    1st child, 2 fur-babies
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    I only get it at night (lying down) and luckily Tums has been all I need to help.