February 2017 Moms

Appointments: Week of January 23

Re: Appointments: Week of January 23

• Had my 36 week appt yesterday morning (Monday), and baby is lying diagonally and breech. His/her head is up by my right boob, and butt is down by my left hip. Argh - two weeks ago was nicely head down. Will go back next Tuesday for 37 week appt and she'll do an ultrasound to see exactly where the baby has decided to settle - hopefully just still rolling around in there!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 36 week checkup and GBS this Thursday and then weekly appointments with NST/Fluid checks. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I am supposed to have my 38 week appointment this week but my family is trying to convince me to skip it. He was going to do an internal exam and they are convinced it will start labour. (Or he will secretly try to strip the membranes) I trust my doctor but already being quite anxious I am nervous about the exam. I don't want the internal exam in case it can start labour even though I don't think it can. I don't feel comfortable declining the exam although my ob is great. I am considering changing my appointment to next week and visiting my family doctor this week for the regular checks. 

• That's so tough @blush64. I can't pretend to understand the dynamics of your situation, but I think that you'd be well within your rights to decline the exam if YOU want to, and use the family's wishes as an excuse to make it easier. I don't think internal exams at this point provide any essential information unless they are deciding on an induction procedure or something like that. I've heard of many people declining them and not being given a hard a time about it. I do think that it's unlikely to start labor though. I'll probably take mine today if it's offered just out of blind, stupid curiosity, and I'm also 38 weeks.
  • @blush64 My midwife asked me if I wanted a check last week and I just said no thanks. Do you feel pressured from your doctor? 
  • @blush64 I'm sorry you feel pressure to skip the internal exam. Maybe you could call ahead and ask if they will skip the exam so you aren't put in the awkward position of declining it while in the office? When I saw my OB at my appointment last week he told me he'd be doing checks from then to the end but only if I was ok with it. I said I was fine with it because I was curious but he made it seem like if I had declined it wouldn't have been a big deal so I don't think you should feel bad about declining. 
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• So, I just got back from my 38 weeks appointment and my doc kinda freaked me out. She measured me twice, got a weird look on her face, and then told me I was measuring small, and had been for the last few weeks. She tried to calm me down by telling me it may be nothing, just how he's positioned, but that she was scheduling me for an ultrasound just to be safe. My sister measured small in her third trimester, but they were never concerned enough to order another ultrasound for her.....so now I'm kinda worried...what does that even mean "measuring small"? Like, could something be wrong with my baby?

ME: 25, DH: 27

TTC #1 since 09/2015

Miscarriage @ 10 wks 02/28/2016

BFP 05/28/2016!

• @scifichick09 I've been told if baby slows down in growth towards the end, it could mean the placenta isn't doing a great job of nourishing the baby anymore and induction may be recommended, depending how far you are. Baby might be better fed on the outside at this point. So to me, I think your doctor just wants to be cautious and check.
  • Thanks, @freshbakedbrownies I know no one here can really give me a for sure answer, but that is definitely comforting to know. I appreciate you giving me your take!

TTC #1 since 09/2015

BFP 05/28/2016!

• @scifichick09 Especially since you've been trending small I wouldn't worry too much. 
    Hoping your doctor is just being abundantly cautious :)

I've been measuring progressively smaller too. I didn't get the impression there was anything particularly wrong--though she did put us in for an ultrasound on the 31st (day after due date) and said baby is "feeling in the 5lb range" at 39 weeks. 
  • @scifichick09 - Another possibility is the baby's position is causing the smaller measurements.  I had been measuring ahead since the beginning.  (I was sent for a growth scan at 28 weeks because I was so far ahead.)  Then, at my last appointment, 34 weeks, the doctor told me I was right on schedule all of a sudden.  He also warned that I could start to go the other way as the baby drops down further.  FX that its just baby moving around a bit and nothing to be concerned about.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • CornchipLACornchipLA member
    edited January 2017
    Haha Great news Gretchypoo! Pack that bag! I'm waiting now for my 36 week appointment now.  We did the super fun swab last week so nothing to look forward to I guess.  Inducing in 2.5 weeks!
  • Thanks for all the input! You guys have definitely helped put my mind at ease. Even when the doctor says not to worry, I still worry. So I really appreciate your input on this, it makes me feel much better.

TTC #1 since 09/2015

BFP 05/28/2016!

• @scifichick09

I always measure behind but I have a ultrasound on Thursday as I have been 3 weeks behind for the last few appointments. In my case my OB isn't too concerned as I hid babies well but better safe than sorry. 

The likeliness is that baby's position is why you are measuring small, sometimes baby tends to hid in your back or if your carrying low it will put the measurement off. 

• @scifichick09 I think everyone's said good stuff already I just wanted to say that the same thing happened to me , started measuring behind and my MW doesn't seem concerned.
  • Thank you all for the advice. I am going to let the doctor's office know by the phone I don't want the internal exam. The family doesn't want to increase the chances the baby is born this week and they think the internal might start labour. I am struggling with anxiety and uncertainty so I am feeling somewhat less strong than usual. 

The family is also my family and they don't usually mistrust doctors but seem to be extra nervous now. I trust him for the most part. I had difficulty accepting the induction for my last delivery and although he had said he would break my water eventually he actually broke it without warning that it was time. Not his fault, it was just my emotional state at the time made everything a big deal.
  • I am carrying pretty low...hopefully that's all it is.

TTC #1 since 09/2015

BFP 05/28/2016!

• @scifichick09 I was told I was measuring large and had to get a growth ultrasound. He was measuring larger than what the bump said was average for the week, but still within the average range. Doc wasn't worried one bit. I figured it was my spare tire that I was working on when I got pregnant. Lol
  • @scifichick09 I'm late, and everyone has already said the same thing, but I started measuring small 3 visits ago (I'm weekly now so the last 3 weeks) but last time she finally told me it's more than likely due to how low the baby is. She hasn't had any big concern so far, but tells me I'm measuring "ok" but small.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @PerraSucia It is an odd request.  I thought it was a joke at first but she meant it. She started her leave 2 weeks ago but didn't get enough done to prepare so she wanted to use this week to finish and relax before the baby is born. (That's the mom) The father is just excited/scared so while he can't wait he is also nervous that this is it.  

In addition to the parents my mom has been giving her very strong opinions. She is obsessed with baby size and is hoping that this baby will somehow get much larger than they estimate if she is born a week later. 

Uncomfortable as it will make me I am just going to fight the uneasiness and decline the internal. 
  • Ugh @blush64 that sucks. I get you wanting to follow their wishes but at the same time... Babies come when they're ready so even declining doesn't mean it won't happen sooner!!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • 38 week check up today, everything was fine. Said ok to the internal exam and my cervix is too high. Well, I'm locked down right, then. 
  • @PerraSucia my husband would like the congratulations!! 
  • Better than being too little I would think!!