High-Risk Pregnancy

High risk

anyone ever had diabetes already and get pregnant? I am diabetic and just found out I am pregnant. I'm kinda freaking out! 

Re: High risk

• Yes, hi!  I have type 1 diabetes, or LADA, as I was diagnosed as an adult last year.  It's definitely a struggle with the additional stress of keeping blood sugars down, but I've been reading up on it since before I got pregnant and it's doable.  If you're looking for a book, Balancing Pregnancy with Pre-Existing Diabetes, by Cheryl Alkon is a good read.  My perinatologist got me in pretty quickly for blood work to check my A1c. I had crazy high blood sugars early on, before I knew I was pregnant, but overall, my A1c looks great, so my dr. Is happy. They switched me from Lantus to NPH, which seemed to help a lot. I'm almost 9 wks now and I have better control now than before I was pregnant. I have my freak out moments for sure, especially when I have an occasional high reading, but I focus on correcting and moving on. Hope all is going well for you!
  • Sugargirl1019Sugargirl1019 member
    edited January 2017
    Type 1 here. I've been for 16 yrs. I'm in an insulin pump and continuous glucose monitoring sensors. I strongly encourage sensors to watch trends and make sure overnight is okay!!

@kabeba Are you August or September due date?? I'm still looking for a Type 1 friend in September bmb!!

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • Loading the player...
  • My official due date is August 29, although they told me that it will most likely be a few weeks before that.  If it changes at my next u/s I'll for sure let you know.  I'm jealous of your cgm,  my insurance only covers it for kids. Right now I'm testing about 10x a day and waking up in the middle of the night to test too.  Not fun, but worth it.  Happy baby growing!