July 2017 Moms

Baby Movements

I probably could have popped this into the randoms thread, but I thought it might be good for it to have it's own thing. I hope I'm not the only one feeling this, and it could be nice to track when we feel the babies move and for FTMs, hopefully to get an idea of what we're looking for here. Feel free to flame me for this, I'm kind of flaming myself. 

I'm 15 weeks, 3 days, and I may or may not be feeling the baby moving. I honestly can't tell, and I'm afraid to say it is the baby and sound like an idiot if it's just gas or organs shifting. Definitely in the last few days, I have felt some weird things in my abdomen (lower, right where the baby was when they took the heartbeat and where the uterus should be at this point) Most of it has felt sort of like something small rolling over in my stomach, almost like a rolling pin being rolled across my abdomen. It doesn't really feel like gas. Just about an hour ago, I felt what seemed like someone taking rubber bouncy balls, like three of them, and rolling them around in their hands... but in my abdomen, right about where I'm pretty sure the baby will be. I'm a FTM who at least had an anterior placenta when they took the ultrasound a little over 2 weeks ago, but I am a small person. I'm basically just wondering if anyone else thinks it might be the baby. My MIL thinks it is, but I'm just confused over here. Tonight more than ever it felt like it really might be. Am I kidding myself? 
Hubby and Me
Friends since 2008
Started dating: July 1st, 2013
Engaged: July 1st, 2014
Married: July 1st, 2016
R born: July 8th, 2017
N born: June 30th, 2019
Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
(maybe I only ovulate in October XD)

Re: Baby Movements

• Nope. Just gas and stuff. First time is more like 20+ weeks. STM+ can be sooner, but even then 15 weeks is rare. 
  • I've been told with an anterior placenta I won't feel movement until 20ish weeks as a STM, even though "quickening" normally occurs around 15 weeks after the first baby. I don't know how else to describe the first fetal movements I felt than like a fish flopping over. About a month later it felt more like actual kicks. Just my personal experience. I don't discount any movements from this point on! If you think it is then it is! Who cares if it's gas. For me I was able to distinctly discern the two even as a FTM though. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Loading the player...
  • mrscate88mrscate88 member
    edited January 2017
    I had an anterior placenta with my last pregnancy and didn't feel the slightest movement until 21 weeks, no real kicks until closer to 25 weeks. The first time I felt movement was right after dinner, I laid down on my back and it felt like a tiny fish doing a flip in my lower belly! That's not to say that what you're feeling is not baby, but as you get a little further along, you'll know FOR SURE that it is baby...and it will be awesome! 

This is pregnancy # 2, I'm 14 weeks tomorrow and haven't felt a thing. I definitely wouldn't describe those first baby movements as a rolling across my abdomen in my case though. Feels more like gentle flutters, like a butterfly flapping its wings. 
  • Yes! The flopping fish, the butterfly wings. Good analogies, ladies. I've never been able to describe it lol. 

My doc yesterday: Any movement yet?
    Me: Nope. 
    Doc: That's the right answer. 

:D 
  • I agree with what PPs have said. Last time I didn't feel a thing until 22 weeks with an anterior placenta. It feels just like a little fish flopping around. Gas does feel different when pregnant, since everything inside is in a different place. So, that's why people who insist they "know what gas feels like, and this is most definitely not gas" often get mixed up.

That said, even if it's not the actual baby you're feeling, it IS a product of your pregnancy, so you're not going crazy!
  • LM1007LM1007 member
    edited January 2017
    With my first I started feeling movements at 18 weeks. I really had no idea what it was, but yeah it's very much like fish flopping or rolling. Also one of the first visible movements, strangely I heard little knocks, looked down and I saw little pokes in my belly, it was really cool. I'm 16 weeks with my second and I'm pretty sure I've already felt slight movement. There's a chance it could've been baby movement, but could've been gas. 
  • 3rd baby, 17 weeks tomorrow, and just over the past few days I've been feeling distinct baby movement. You'll know when it's baby. With my first it wasn't until 22 weeks, 2nd was more like 19 weeks before I felt baby and not gas. 
    married 7.18.12   DS1 4.29.13   EDD 11.23.14

my happy boy

• I felt a fish flop at 14 weeks 5 days! I never heard that was what it was supposed to feel like though.
    Nothing since then, though. He must have been really mad or something!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • mtownhespesmtownhespes member
    edited January 2017
    I felt a fish flop at 14 weeks 5 days! I never heard that was what it was supposed to feel like though.
    Nothing since then, though. He must have been really mad or something!
    If it was just once it was definitely something else then. Trust me...it's never just once. Lol Once those little buggers get going, there is no stopping them. 

Edited because I posted before I finished typing. 
  • My first pregnancy, I first felt a small kick at 17 weeks.   Like PP said, it was pretty unmistakable... I remember thinking "oh so that's what a kick feels like!"  
  • I never felt my first until after 20 weeks, my second around 18 weeks and I swear this one around right before 15 weeks. Call me crazy or misattributing the feeling but it was a low snake wiggle. 
  • Dcwtada said:
    I never felt my first until after 20 weeks, my second around 18 weeks and I swear this one around right before 15 weeks. Call me crazy or misattributing the feeling but it was a low snake wiggle. 
    15 weeks is absolutely possible on later pregnancies! Your numbers absolutely make sense.
  • TBH, it depends on the mom. With my first, I felt the floppy fish around 16 weeks and it was confirmed at my ultrasound. I haven't felt this one yet, but I'm also just under 13 weeks at this point. 15 weeks and change is possible, just from a statistical standpoint, not as likely. 
  • I felt my first at 18, second around 16, now this one at 14. So def possible. Enjoy it :) 
  • TBH, it depends on the mom. With my first, I felt the floppy fish around 16 weeks and it was confirmed at my ultrasound. I haven't felt this one yet, but I'm also just under 13 weeks at this point. 15 weeks and change is possible, just from a statistical standpoint, not as likely. 
    How would they confirm it with an ultrasound? 
    My doctor said it was possible, but Tbh I hope I have an anterior placenta because the whole idea freaks me out. 
    Those videos where you can see hands and feet from the outside - ackkkk!!!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • I didn't feel my first until right around 20 weeks and only knew it was him because he was kicking the ultrasound and the tech asked if I could feel it. I thought "oh that's what those are" 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Married: 05/26/2012

DS Born Happy and Healthy via C-section: 10/04/2013

Natural M/C: 07/08/2014

DD Born Happy and Healthy via Emergency C-section: 06/30/2015

BFP #4: 11/15/2016

EDD: 7/27/2017

• I had an anterior placenta with my son and am pretty thin and didn't feel anything until 23-25 weeks! 
  • Too early for me but does anyone else hear "floppy fish" and think of Mokiki does the sloppy swish on SNL?!?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't know, OP - could be! For most FTMs it's much later, but there's no universal law. I'm kind of smiling at the certitude everyone declares Not Baby.

I was 18 weeks when I felt movement my last pregnancy. This time, I haven't felt anything internal yet, probably - am 17 weeks today. The other day, DH and I both felt an avocado-size lump protruding from right over my belly button. We poked and it moved slightly, then disappeared. Probably too high to be baby, but WTF! 
  • @GlitterFish I have one of those videos from my twin pregnancy. DD was on top and while DS spent his days snuggled next to my pelvic bone DD would literally swim around the top of my belly. With all 3 kids I would recognize their movements after they were born, even DH would say "ohhh that's what they were doing in there", it's totally weird.
  • edited January 2017
    First time around for me, I didn't feel
    anything until almost 25 weeks, and I would literally go days without feeling him, even as late as 36 weeks (literally ended up in the ER after not feeling him for three days and he was fine). Anterior placenta+sunny side up presentation+lazy baby=very hard to feel movement. I was literally lying under the ultrasound wand and the tech is like, ok, he's kicking the wand...you can't feel that?? And I'm like, nope, nada.

This time around, I started feeling the butterflies (continuous flapping, fluttering feeling rolling from the outside of my belly across to past
    my belly button) at one day prior to 15 weeks. It's still infrequent and I definitely feel it more when I lie down quietly at night after my son is in bed, but it's pretty unmistakable. I'm probably only feeling Baby B, since A has an anterior placenta, but I am 16 weeks now, this is my second pregnancy, and it's twins, so I'm not surprised I'm feeling even faint flutters earlier than last time. Im honestly looking forward to when it picks up, although nervous about the rib thing. My son never found them, so I don't really know what that feels like.
    Married 25 May, 2013
    William Alexander born 18 September, 2015
    Harper Grace born 9 June, 2017
    Colton Miles born 9 June, 2017
    Bowen James due 19 June, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • With my first, I started feeling things at 16 weeks but dismissed it because I though no way it could be baby. By 19 weeks it was pretty obvious it was baby and it confirmed in my mind that those feelings I had at 16 weeks were real. I was also a size 14 when pregnant with DS1.

With DS2, I have total mom amnesia as to when I started feeling him move! lol I honestly can't remember for the life of me. I'm probably going to go back and try to read some of my old TB posts from back then to figure out when I felt movement. That's actually a plus side of using a forum like this, all the random stuff I wrote about my pregnancy are saved and I can go back and read it! It's pretty fun to do.

• Dumb question: why do FTMs feel movement later than STMs? Is it s matter of correctly identifying the movement vs other things it is there a biological reason?
  • oheliza44 said:
    Dumb question: why do FTMs feel movement later than STMs? Is it s matter of correctly identifying the movement vs other things it is there a biological reason?
    I have absolutely no idea. I could take a guess and say you're correct about correctly identifying movements the second one around. 

I reslly don't remember how far along I was when I get movements but I do remember feeling the little flutters. I haven't felt a thing yet at 14+5 but I'm also not expecting anything yet. I remember it being really distinct and absolutely knowing without a doubt it was dd. So fun
    How would they confirm it with an ultrasound? 
    My doctor said it was possible, but Tbh I hope I have an anterior placenta because the whole idea freaks me out. 
    Those videos where you can see hands and feet from the outside - ackkkk!!!
    Baby moved during the ultrasound and I felt it. It's not quite as drastic as that. I never actually saw that stuff with my first. It's just a bump rolling around. It's also different when you know it's your baby instead of watching someone else's bump. At least it was for me. 
  • I had an anterior placenta with my son and am pretty thin and didn't feel anything until 23-25 weeks! 
    Thinness has nothing to do with it. I was 200lbs when I got pregnant with DD and I felt it earlier. It really just depends on the person and their situation. 
  • @oheliza44 I'm a FTM too, but I think it might have something to do with being "more stretched out". 

@PurplePoppy424 and @dancegurl1118  I had read online that the smaller you are the less padding there is for the baby's movements to be muffled by. The internet is wrong again lol. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • @kerils I am assuming that refers to feeling movements from the outside? Again an assumption because I don't know but I could see how size may inhibit feeling movement from the outside because of padding until the baby is larger and doing karate chops nonstop...but I feel like size wouldn't inhibit feeling gas so why would it inhibit feeling movement inside? This is just me thinking out loud I don't know the real answer
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • I'm 16w + 2d I've been feeling LO move for a few weeks now. I would also decribe the movement as a "fish flopping." It's always around the same time every day. About 7ish in the morning and again around 7pm and again around 9pm. The one day I felt a lot of movement we had a big dessert with friends and I had a hard time sleeping that night from the sugar too. This is my 4th pregnancy. 
  • I would say a FTM at 15 weeks with an anterior placenta it's just about impossible that you are feeling baby.  I'm 17 weeks with my second and had an anterior placenta with both and still haven't felt anything.  There are lots of internal movements going on that you are probably feeling, and the gas you feel with pregnancy is a different feeling than non-pregnant gas.  
  • The one downside to feeling them a little early is when you go a few days without feeling them it messes with your head (haven't get the LO again in 4 days). And will continue to mess with your head your entire pregnancy...
  • @Dcwtada very true! Now that I haven't had m/s or nausea for about 3-4 days I keep worrying about not feeling movement. 
  • This may be a silly question, but can baby move around my tummy? I haven't felt movement or anything I would even mistake for movement, but I was running the other day and kept feeling this urge to use the restroom. I knew I didn't need to because I peed before I started running and thought maybe the baby was hitting my bladder. I've never felt it again. Is the possible, or is this just all in my head?
  • My first pregnancy I didn't feel my twins until after 20 weeks and I had an anterior placenta and just found out yesterday I also have an anterior placenta this time as well. I feel like little bubbles but I think it's just fun gas haha. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Ok I have a not important question. Do you have a theory for me? I only feel this baby in the same spot, lower left side. Also I remember ds kicking in that spot most of the time. Is this a thing or just my mind being weird?