Infertility
Options

Mandatory acupuncture before transfer?

So today I had a doppler ultrasound and I "failed" it (as in I had poor blood flow to uterus). I don't know what these numbers mean exactly, but I had a "6" and it needs to be under 3. Due to these results, my RE says I have to have 2 acupuncture sessions in each of the 4 weeks prior to transfer (8 total). As in, it is mandatory.

I understand recommending it, and I know some people are fans of acupuncture and do it anyways when undergoing fertility treatments, but I am annoyed. I thought I had a handle on what was going to be required as far as appointments and cost, and then this is thrown at me. The acupuncture has to be done at one of a handful of acupuncture clinics that they recommend that are all 70-90 minutes from my house on traffic-y roads. So this is not going to be a zen/relaxing experience. I am already stressed out thinking about all of this winter-time driving to acupuncture I don't want. Yes, I know some studies have shown it helps success rates.

I guess I have 2 questions:

1. Is this requirement normal? (bad uterine blood flow in doppler = required acupuncture)  Any stories welcome.

2. Also, has anyone had different results on a subsequent doppler US?  (I did not drink any caffeine for the last 72 hours, as instructed by the clinic, but then today a nurse mentioned that decaf has a bit of caffeine and that my drinking a cup of decaf a day might be to blame for my results, but I find that hard to believe! But I might try another doppler with no caffeine OR decaf and see if I have better blood flow.)

Thank you :)

Me: 34 ("unexplained IF"), DH: 40 (he is fine!), Married since 2013, 2 cats :)

TTC since Aug 2014

May 2016: laproscopy, found & removed moderate (stage III) endo (largest growth was on R ovary)

Summer/Fall 2016: 3x IUI w/ clomid & trigger shot, 3x BFN

Jan 2017: 2 months of lupron depot to quiet endo (ugh). Done!

March 2017: IVF #1 (antagonist) Cancelled/converted to IUI #4 on 3/31/17, CP :/

May 2017: IVF #1, try 2 (Lupron added). ER 5/23 (14 retrieved, 11 mature, 10 fertilized, 3 blasts frozen, 2 PGS normal). FET in late July!

Re: Mandatory acupuncture before transfer?

• Options
    Hi -- lurking here but I think it's crazy that they would tell you acupuncture is required, especially considering the geographical distance. Have you talked to your nurse about the additional stress and hassle of this? I have had positive experiences with acupuncture but adding a new stressor to you seems worth the conversation. Good luck. 

• Options
    exercise helps with blood flow too, I would ask the nurse if you could do that instead, maybe just a brisk walk for 30 mins every day? Once I'm recovered from the retrieval, I'm planning to start brisk walking before transfer. And yes, decaf has a small amount of caffeine in it. It's also known that raspberry tea helps, so I would try switching to that. Couldn't hurt to try right?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Fertility docs seem to love research, and there have been some that support using acupuncture.  But then, there are some that indicate acupuncture does nothing.

I got it regularly throughout my 7 IUIs.  When I had to open my wallet for IVF, I could no longer afford the acupuncture.
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• Options
    Thanks for your responses everybody.

adirat I am glad you have had positive acupuncture experiences.  I have heard good things from others IRL, so if they insist then maybe I could just ask if I can go to an acupuncturist in my town, if they can pass along specific instructions. 

mamma1614 I will ask a nurse about trying more exercise first (which I should do more of anyways)! Gosh I would so much rather exercise half an hour a day then drive for 3 hours twice a week! Is the raspberry tea that you mentioned the same as "raspberry leaf tea"? (I drink this for cramps sometimes already.)

KLake42 Yes, I get the impression from briefly reading journal articles that some studies show a fertility benefit from acupuncture, others show no benefit. Others find that there is a benefit, but a benefit equal to the placebo (and if I am already suspicious and annoyed in general, will I get this placebo benefit?)

Also we are paying OOP so I am trying to avoid the mentality of "I am already paying 18k, what's another $1000-1500 for acupuncture!" Trying to be as budget-conscious as I can given the money pit of a situation...  :(

TTC since Aug 2014

May 2016: laproscopy, found & removed moderate (stage III) endo (largest growth was on R ovary)

May 2017: IVF #1, try 2 (Lupron added). ER 5/23 (14 retrieved, 11 mature, 10 fertilized, 3 blasts frozen, 2 PGS normal). FET in late July!

• Options
    Yes, I think that's the same thing.
  • Options
    Hi,
       I have been thinking about doing acupuncture for my next ivf cycle.  Does anyone know the approximate cost per session?  @daisy222 I'm on the cusp too--wondering if it will actually be helpful or not, but I figured that I am also anxious by nature, so if anything, maybe it will help calm me down??  We'll see!
    Me: 33, DH: 40
    July 2016: IVF #1 (froze embryos)
    Aug. 2016: Hysteroscopy to remove a few polyps & Laparoscopy
    Oct. 2016: FET #1 BFN
    Nov. 2016: FET #2 BFP (ended in CP)
    March 2017: IVF #2 Fresh Transfer of 2 Blasts = BFP!!! (EDD: 11/27/17)
    Froze 5 Blasts
    DS born on 11/2/17!!!  
    Back to try for Baby #2 :)

• Options
    @AlexCost It totally varies by your location. I am in New York and pay $70 per session. In Arizona where my parents live, it is $50 per session. 

• Options
    @AlexCost at my clinic it is $200 per session but then again I live in a big city 
    Siggy Warning--------

CP #1- due April 2017 lost 5.5 weeks
    cp #2- due May 2017 lost at 4.5 weeks
    iUI #1- BFN
    IUI #2-BFN
    IVF#1- transfer 2- BFP! Due October 2017 c/p#3 lost at 3.5 weeks
  • Options
    @AlexCost it's $45 per session here (WI). I plan on going but it's close and convenient, I went before starting any meds and it really helped regulate my cycle. It's very relaxing too. 
  • Options
    @daisy222 I'm sorry this has created more stress for you! I've also heard benefits of acupuncture but know of many whom have tried it and still unfortunately are not pregnant. I'm considering it too but ( @AlexCost ) the practice my clinic recommends charges $125 for the initial visit and then $80 for each session after. Not sure I can swing that but I'm checking Groupon for deals too.
  • Options
    I get it done at my chiro office and its $70 per session

Together Let Us Seek the Heights

• Options
    For every research study, there is another with a different opinion.  I tend to be on the flip side of this.  One study in particular investigated the efficacy of acupuncture in asians versus caucasians.  Asian population have something in their DNA that makes them require significantly less anesthesia for surgery than caucasians.  The study was done in China.  They had chinese women have C-Sections with acupuncture as their only means of anesthesia and they were fine.  They did the same to caucasians and it did not go over well at all!  

I did not have acupuncture after IVF or FET.  I do exercise and my u/s have shown almost too much blood flow to the uterus.  Although, I don't know if exercise has anything to do with it.
    Me:34 DH:39
    Me: A-Okay!
    DH: 0-1% morphology
    Married: 5/2008  <3
    TTC: 5/2009 
    **TW--BFP**
    2013: IUI x1 Failed
    10/2016: First IVF Cycle! YAY!
    10/31 - Fresh Transfer.
    11/10- BFN.  Starting cycle for FETx2
    12/16 - U/S - Twins! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    So many people seem to do acupuncture and report it helps in some way or another, so perhaps I should  give it a try. I think I would pay about $100 per session, after a more expensive first session. I know that acupuncture immediately after transfer (they come to the clinic) is $250.

DDRGirlie Interesting! Note to self to never sign up for an acupuncture-only c-section. Yikes.   As my sister just pointed out, I might has well try to exercise more than my ~1x per week (bad I know) in order to try to get better blood flow. The worst case scenario is that is I get more exercise ;)  Also, congrats on twins! So exciting!  I hope this is ok to ask: how did you decide to transfer 2? Was it due to the failed fresh transfer? Age? Did it take some convincing of your doctor? My doctor says they will only do 2 if the woman is over 35 or if there have been failed transfers, but I'll be 35 in the fall so I could probably push for it so DH and I are currently discussing...

TTC since Aug 2014

• Options
    I'm in Texas. Mine is covered under my insurance just for the $30 copay. I also went to another facility, and they were having a sale 4 sessions for $200.
    ME (35) DH (34) DSD (10)
    Met Dec 2011, Married Oct 2014, TTC Jan 2016 (but NTNP 4 years)
    DX: Diminished Ovarian Reserved, High NK Cells (me), Low Sperm Count (DH)

Feb 2016: TI BFN
    March 2016: IUI BFN
    April 2016: IUI BFP, MC at 5 weeks 
    May 2016: recovering
    June 2016: IUI BFP, 2 sacs (twins), MC at 8 weeks  
    July 2016: Methotrexate
    August 2016: IUI BFN
    September 2016: Benched Cyst
    October 2016: Benched Cyst, DX High Natural Killer Cells
    November 2016: Failed IUI, Benched
    December 2016: IUI BFN, Intralipid Infusion (Treatment for High NK Cells)
    January 2017: mini-IVF, Mexico (225g Menopur)
  • Options
    @daisy222  Thanks.  I had a failed fresh transfer, so my RE asked if we wanted to transfer 2 for the second round.  I was a little nervous about it, but it's a great option for us because my insurance only covers 3 rounds.
    Me:34 DH:39
    Me: A-Okay!
    DH: 0-1% morphology
    Married: 5/2008  <3
    TTC: 5/2009 
    **TW--BFP**
    2013: IUI x1 Failed
    10/2016: First IVF Cycle! YAY!
    10/31 - Fresh Transfer.
    11/10- BFN.  Starting cycle for FETx2
    12/16 - U/S - Twins! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I am not surprised your doctor would direct you toward this treatment. It sounds like they are wanting you do do the Swedish protocol prior to transfer. This is electro acupuncture twice a week in your low back and legs. I believe is is meant to target uterine arteries to improve blood flow. You do it for the four weeks leading up to transfer. 

I am am doing it right now. It's a little pricey at 140 a week for me. But I find it pretty relaxing. Most of the time I just fall asleep!!!