1st Trimester

Brown discharge since Sunday, and a bit of dark red today...

I am 8 weeks & 4 days along with my first pregnancy. On Sunday night I noticed brown discharge when I peed, and I had trouble falling asleep that night because I felt uneasy about it. The next day it happened all day & made me so anxious and upset. It lessened, but continued every day since. Today I noticed that the discharge was a little heavier, but still brown...until I went pee at about 6:30pm, wiped and saw some dark brown discharge with a mix of dark red blood and it was slightly clumped. I immediately said "no!" out loud and became hot and anxious. I called my mother crying, she told me not to worry and to just relax...which is extremely hard to do. I obviously do NOT want to lose this baby. I am very attached. It took my husband and I ten months to conceive, and I'm already 32. Since then, I'm back to brown discharge and it has lessened. I haven't seen any more dark red whatsoever. This is very confusing, but do I even have anything to worry about? I have read so much saying that stuff like this is completely normal. I haven't had any pain or cramping, and no bright red blood. My first appointment is on Monday. I definitely want to mention this to the midwife. Any ideas or thoughts?
me: 32
dh: 26
married: 09.06.15
BFP: 12.22.16 
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Brown discharge since Sunday, and a bit of dark red today...

• When I went in to confirm my pregnancy at 5 weeks, my doctor said any bleeding or severe cramping to go to the ER. Better to check it and be safe and not worry. You could always call your doctors office to see what they suggest as well.
  • I wouldn't go to the ER unless you have SEVERE bleeding, like you need to wear a pad and are filling and changing it a few times a day.  I would call your doctor and ask what they suggest.

The ER is notoriously bad with pregnancy issues and most doctors wouldn't send you there unless you were hemorrhaging or they suspected an ectopic pregnancy.  If you are miscarrying there is nothing anyone can do to stop it once it starts.  If I was in that position I'd want to see my midwife or obgyn, who could give me a true diagnosis, and not an ER doc who is going to call any bleeding a "suspected miscarriage" and send me to my midwife/obgyn in the morning anyway.  Call the office today, they may be able to squeeze you in today rather than monday.
  • Loading the player...
  • Brown is typically old blood and *usually* not concerning according to my OB, but if you are anxious I would definitely put a call in to your midwife's office. As PP said, skip the ER-they are not so great with pregnancy issues and most likely would make you even more anxious. Try to relax, and bring up any concerns on Monday at your appointment.

I would also strongly recommend finding your birth month board here on TB as well. The trimester boards aren't frequented very much and you may find it hard to find support or advice here. Your BMB will have women due the same month as you and going through a lot of the same things, and are much more active! Definitely read all the pinned posts at the top and introduce yourself. Hope all is well when you do go in for your appointment!
  • When I had brown discharge at 8 weeks, I went to my OB and had an ultrasound. I was diagnosed with a subchorionic hematoma, and was told that I could see more blood and only to call if I soaked a pad. With that said, I would never assume anything about bleeding in pregnancy.. it could be fine, or it could not be fine. Only your doctor can tell you.
    BabyFruit Ticker