February 2017 Moms

UO (1/19)

2»

Re: UO (1/19)

• I fucking hate the term "natural birth"
    Popular opinion, or it should be. It kills me that my MWs use it. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Very popular opinion. It's such a bullshit idea, and it's very subjective. You could easily argue that any birth with attendants, any birth with running water, with heat, isn't 'natural' if you wanted to. If you're not giving birth alone, into a trench you dug yourself to bury the afterbirth from predators, it's not how our foremothers did it. That's 'natural' too.
  • I fucking hate the term "natural birth"
    I go both ways. So, I think its overused a lot and people wear it as a point of pride when it shouldn't be. To me, a natural birth is one that happens vaginally, without any intervention whatsoever, including cervical checks and things of that nature. In the US I think the ones that are truly "natural births" are either accidental or risk takers. Have you seen Wanderlust? Okay, yeah that was a "natural birth". I guess what I am saying I view natural births as the ones where the only tool a mother uses is her instinct and so so many people use the term for something else. 

<3 DD1- Aug11 <3o:) Angel Baby- June13, said goodbye Oct12 o:)<3 DD2- Aug13 <3<3 DD3- due Feb17 <3

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I completely agree with hating the term natural birth. 
  • srscott3 said:
    I think "natural birth" is any time a woman has a baby. My reasoning for this is because of all the people who keep asking me if I'm going to try "natural" birth or if my doc will think I need a C-Section. For example, MIL keeps asking "Do you think you'll have a natural birth or C-Section?"..making it sound like those are the only two options. Also, making it sound a section is "unnatural" in some way.
    Call me a SS, but I prefer the terms vaginal and c-section. Both of which I think are natural. 
    I completely agree with both the bolded. I've heard people argue for the terms "vaginal birth" and "cesarean birth" to highlight the fact they are, indeed, both births.
  • srscott3 said:
    I think "natural birth" is any time a woman has a baby. My reasoning for this is because of all the people who keep asking me if I'm going to try "natural" birth or if my doc will think I need a C-Section. For example, MIL keeps asking "Do you think you'll have a natural birth or C-Section?"..making it sound like those are the only two options. Also, making it sound a section is "unnatural" in some way.
    Call me a SS, but I prefer the terms vaginal and c-section. Both of which I think are natural. 
    I completely agree with both the bolded. I've heard people argue for the terms "vaginal birth" and "cesarean birth" to highlight the fact they are, indeed, both births.
    As a doula this is what my vernacular consists of. I don't use the term "natural birth" evah for the reasons I talked about above. I also use med-free birth with my clients because that is something they may want to aim for.

<3 DD1- Aug11 <3o:) Angel Baby- June13, said goodbye Oct12 o:)<3 DD2- Aug13 <3<3 DD3- due Feb17 <3

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I also don't like the term natural birth,  especially when people use it for drug free birth.   But, I think it makes sense that not everyone is comfortable using the word vagina when they are talking to a pregnant woman. So natural gets substituted instead. 
    Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Partyof6? said:
    I also don't like the term natural birth,  especially when people use it for drug free birth.   But, I think it makes sense that not everyone is comfortable using the word vagina when they are talking to a pregnant woman. So natural gets substituted instead. 
    I think my response to these people would be that if we're not close enough for you to be talking about my vagina, we're not close enough for you to be asking me about my birth plan. Recent but very intense pet peeve of mine, especially since my answer became "no effing clue" earlier this week. 
    Soooooooo much this. Why yes, elderly gentleman I have a passing acquaintance with at my yoga studio, I do feel like discussing the future state of my vag with you. We certainly do know each other well enough to be having this conversation. Remind me of your last name again?
  • I don't like the term natural birth either, I prefer to say unmedicated because really what is unnatural birth?  My coworker spouts how she had a natural birth and recently she told me that she had pitocin, nitrous, and some other kind of narcotic so she was basically referring to a natural birth as one without an epidural.  Have whatever birth you want, medicated or unmedicated but don't make out like you're superior for having an unmedicated birth when you really did have a bunch of interventions.   
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • To @yogadevil's point, when I was being monitored on Wednesday they randomly asked me if I was planning to breast or bottle feed baby. I was really perplexed because I can still give my baby breast milk in a bottle...so I didn't really know how to answer. 
    I learned that when they ask that, to just say breast feed... (if you plan on giving your breast milk by boob or bottle) they are asking so they know weather or not to give your baby formula while in for testing or just in the nursery in general. And drs are curious so they also know if you plan on boob milk or formula. With my son I tried to explain I was pumping, then giving a bottle and they said "ok then the answer is breast."
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Patience7150 yeah that would seem so weird and I wouldn't know how to respond either. My DD got breast milk in a bottle until we got the go-ahead to try feeding off the breast from her doctor. Also, many moms who return to work give their babies breast milk from a bottle...I guess it was poor wording on their part? 
  • I say my kid was EBF, she got straight from the tap and pumped breast milk 
    Ditto