Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Bedding

So, everything I read emphasizes the (justified) horrors of placing soft toys and blankets in the crib. Yet the "necessities for your registry" include bedding sets which include quilts and blankets. Are the retailers & Baby Industrial complex really just trying to get more money from me, or is there some reason (other than or "it looks good" or :"it completes the 'theme'") to get a full bedding set, or am I honestly just fine with various sets of sheets and the plethora of decorative blankets and quilts I know family/friends will make for us?
J (Ma--I'm the one posting) & E (Mommy--I'm the one carrying)

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

Re: Bedding

• Options
    I went all out with my other children. So many stuffed animals, blankets, matching mini pillow case etc etc. It all for looks. So just having my fourth baby I just bought my own fitted sheet that matched the crib. I put his stuffed animals in a little basket in his room. I just added a breathable mesh crib bumper. His legs kept getting stuck in the rails. That's all that is in/on his crib. I used all the blankets, quilts etc for winter to cover him in the car seat or when I was holding him. 
  • Options
    @Latina211508, thank you, that's exactly what I've been thinking. Although we'll be new moms, I haven't seen the need as I've watched all my nieces & nephews be conceived and born. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yup all you really need are sheets. Everything else
    is for looks and decoration. And some of those bedding sets cost a fortune!
  • Options
    Yup all you really need are sheets. Everything else
    is for looks and decoration. And some of those bedding sets cost a fortune!
    No KIDDING! I can't ask family & friends to spend that kind of money on something that is mostly useless.

• Options
    Conceived and born?!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Married May 2015---TTC September 2015---BFP January 2016
  • Options
    monana86 said:
    Conceived and born?!
    Not exactly the best wording--what I get for replying on my phone :dizzy: I mean I've not seen a need for all the bedding frills as my siblings-in-law have had babies (6 since my wife and I started dating, not including the 4 before that). 

• Options
    Sheets are all you need.  We even skipped the dust ruffle for under the crib - you can see right under the crib (gasp!).  It's all just a big money-making racket.  :)
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

DD: 6/21/10
    DS: 10/11/14