September 2015 Moms
Options

Hair cut

how many people have gotten their babies hair cut? Is it too soon? My daughters hair isn't super  long but I'm wanting it to grow in thicker and my mom keeps on me saying if I get her hair cut it will grow longer and thicker. 

Re: Hair cut

• Options
    My LO was born with a lot of hair, and we have already had it trimmed twice!!! Nothing extreme just trying to keep it from forming a rats tail look! Yikes!! DH doesn't like when it's in his eyes and covering his ears, but DS still has 'long hair'. We just keep it cleaned up. 
  • Options
    mpache06 said:
    how many people have gotten their babies hair cut? Is it too soon? My daughters hair isn't super  long but I'm wanting it to grow in thicker and my mom keeps on me saying if I get her hair cut it will grow longer and thicker. 
    It sounds like we're in a similar situation. I haven't cut Piper's hair yet, because she doesn't have much, but it seems to bother her when it gets in her ears. She's almost 15 months. She'll stick her fingers in her ear (not like she has an infection or anything), and whine until we smooth/tuck her hair back. So, I'm definitely thinking it's hair cut time for this little girl, and if it grows in thicker & longer, that's just icing on the cake! I may even attempt to do it myself!  :o
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have trimmed twice as well. Some lady said he was a pretty little girl, So I finally did it myself. I am not ready for the drama of a professional cut at my salon so I did it while he was in the bath. He had his back to me and was having so much fun playing that he didn't even notice I had done anything. I trimmed the mullet, around his ears and his bangs. Be ready for your sweet angel to look much more
    grown up after the trim tho. I was so sad afterwards! Lol
  • Options
    We've had five haircuts over here. His hair was in his eyes at 6 months and it seems like once we cut it, it's so much thicker and grows so much faster!
  • Options
    DH just cut LO's hair for the first time this weekend. It was all different lengths and he was staring to get a little tail in the back. He has very fine baby hair still so it was just a trim.
  • Options
    I have trimmed twice as well. Some lady said he was a pretty little girl, So I finally did it myself. I am not ready for the drama of a professional cut at my salon so I did it while he was in the bath. He had his back to me and was having so much fun playing that he didn't even notice I had done anything. I trimmed the mullet, around his ears and his bangs. Be ready for your sweet angel to look much more
    Doing it during bath time is a great idea! My LO has little blond curls in the back and I don't plan on cutting them anytime soon! I had curls until I was 3 and then had straight hair the rest of my life, so I'm in no hurry to get rid of them since they probably won't last forever! If anything, I'll just do a very light trim around his ears and on the very bottom if I need to, but those curls are there to stay!
  • Options
    jen83mn said:

Oh you have to keep those! We had a mullet. It was NOT cute. Those curls are adorbs!
  • Options
    momofsweetpsmomofsweetps member
    edited December 2016
    jen83mn said:
    Doing it during bath time is a great idea! My LO has little blond curls in the back and I don't plan on cutting them anytime soon! I had curls until I was 3 and then had straight hair the rest of my life, so I'm in no hurry to get rid of them since they probably won't last forever! If anything, I'll just do a very light trim around his ears and on the very bottom if I need to, but those curls are there to stay!
    My Little Dude has curls too and we haven't cut it. He is the only one of mine to have any curl and has had the most hair at this age. Although it getting in his eyes is bothering me, I just don't know what to do about that. And I want his first haircut to be in Disney World.

• Options
    LO's hair was much longer in the back, so eventually we took her to the little kids' salon Snippets to have it cut.  I started to try but she was wiggling too much so I got nervous.  It was $20 and only took them 30 seconds, but it's worth it for it to be even now.  The stylist said now it should grow in more evenly too so she won't need another for a long time.  Ayla did well being in the little train chair and playing with toys while it happened.
    Married 6.21.2014
    DD #1: 8.16.2015
    #2 EDD: 1.13.2019
  • Options
    We've done two haircuts, mostly because it grows thickest in a line like a Mohawk and DH can't stand it when it gets too Mohawky. I think we're coming due for a third pretty soon. The second was in the bath and for us that was a terrible idea. He was having so much fun playing and throwing his arms/toys around that I was afraid I was going to slip and poke or cut him. I think next time I'll try it while daddy is reading him a story.

MIL kept telling me that I needed to cut his hair so that it will grow (she also wants me to "train" his hair so that he has this stupid Donald Trump looking comb over because she thinks it will be more professional looking - as if a 1 year old needs to look professional, but I digress). The day after I cut it she said "see, I told you that cutting it would encourage it to grow." Actually, no. It instantaneously looked thicker because it wasn't so patchy looking with really long hair in some places and really short hair in other places. Thanks for playing though.

**TW**
    Me & DH: 32
    Married 2013
    Kiddo #1: Sept 2015
    BFP: 1/19, EDD: 9/30

"I'm having fruit salad for dinner. Well, it's mostly just grapes, actually. Ok all grapes. Fermented grapes. Fine, I'm having wine for dinner."
  • Options
    We have a friend that cuts my hair and my husbands at her salon. We have gotten our LOs haircut twice because it was growing uneven and very mullet-ish. It seems to be growing back thicker. He doesn't love getting it cut but he only fusses a bit. If it gets bad I just hold him and she cuts it.
  • Options
    We had LOs hair cut about 2 months ago and it is starting to need it again. We had it done at the salon where one of my best friends works. She did it for free because it was seriously maybe 10 cuts total. A couple on the front to get rid of his pointy hairline, a few in the back to get rid of the mullet/rats nest, and one over each ear to get it off his ears. Easy breezy and he didn't fuss one bit. 
  • Options
    jen83mn said:
    My Little Dude has curls too and we haven't cut it. He is the only one of mine to have any curl and has had the most hair at this age. Although it getting in his eyes is bothering me, I just don't know what to do about that. And I want his first haircut to be in Disney World.

Maybe just trim the bangs yourself? That's what I would do! I need to trim just a bit around his ears soon. :)
  • Options
    I haven't cut Lo's yet but his is still pretty thin around the sides, it's only really filled out and getting length on top and at the base of his neck. My family wants me to get it cut just cause he's starting to look like he's got an unstyled Mohaw(my BIL says he's bringing back the rat tail lol)
  • Options
    DS had a hair cut for his birthday in august then sept and nov and hes starting to need another one! 
  • Options
    First professional cut last month.
  • Options
    DS had lots of hair - has probably had almost 10 haircuts already. He sits great and the ladies at Great Clips love him, LOL. 
  • Options
    We haven't cut Tatum's hair yet. It's grown so much in the last few months and it really needs it. But we're going to Disney in May and I'm holding out for their "first haircut" package. They get Mickey ears, a certificate, and you get a lock of hair for the baby book for like $25!