March 2017 Moms

Cholestasis - early induction

I discovered I was having mild Cholestasis symptoms (feet and palm itching at night) a couple weeks ago, and blood tests confirmed I have it. I am scheduled to be induced in 2 weeks at 36 weeks and am nervous for my baby's health & his lungs not being developed yet. Anyone else dealing with Cholestasis or an early induction?

Re: Cholestasis - early induction

• I was induced at 37 weeks with our 1st baby (he's now almost 18 months old), due to pre-eclampsia. I was given the steroid shot at 35.6 & 35.7 to help his lungs develop quicker. He's a perfectly healthy, ornery boy. Don't worry, momma!! Your baby will be just perfect! 
  • I was induced at 34 weeks for preeclampsia. Baby boy needed a little support for his breathing the first 24 hours and spent 10 days in NICU. He is a very healthy 2 year old now!
  • Loading the player...
  • I was diagnosed with this too.  I am getting twice a week scans and will be induced sometime tbd between 36 and 37 weeks (though for other reasons they may be earlier).  Maybe it's because this is average / above average for twins, but they had the NICU team come talk to us and they reall did not think the timing was a big deal.  Did you or are you getting the steroid shots for the baby's lungs?  If so, you should be in great shape!  

On the other hand, I am terrified of the Cholestasis and am glad that someone else brought it up.  For me the symptoms were barely worth mentioning to my doctor and I'm so very very glad I did!  Bring up everything to your doctor no matter how random, y'all.  
  • I'm sorry that you have to be induced earlier than you'd like. My DD was born at 36w1d after my water broke unexpectedly. Her lungs were fine... She just had a little jaundice and needed a few days of light therapy. She was otherwise very a healthy baby. 36 weeks is a little early, but try not to stress too much - baby is pretty much fully developed by then. Talk to your doctor about any concerns - I'm sure that they will make you feel better about it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Wanted to add -- we spoke to the NICU team because I'm 33 weeks and having complications unrelated to the cholestasis.  My doctor said that by 36 weeks the baby often/usually goes home with Mom and doesn't need to stay in the hospital later than that.  There might be some visiting with the NICU just to make sure everything is ok, but you have a great scenario since you know the baby will be early and can develop the lungs in anticipation of that.  
  • Thank you all for your responses! Yes they are planning to do steroid shots prior to the induction, that should help. 

I only had symptoms for 2 days a couple weeks ago and felt silly even mentioning it to my Dr. (But read about Cholestasis on Google and it was enough to scare me). 

Thanks for the support and good luck to everyone on your deliveries!

• My son was born at 35 weeks due to preterm labor/PROM. He was completely healthy and went home with me as planned. The only thing that was a little different was that they monitored his temp and blood sugar more closely than they normally would. Also he had to pass a car seat test.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker