July 2017 Moms

Babymoon

Re: Babymoon

• Our "babymoon" is more of a family vacation to Disney. My H surprised our son and I with the trip as a Christmas gift. My son will be 2 when we go, I think he will really enjoy it. I will be 30 weeks. My husband said I can take a day or whatever I want while we are there to have a relaxing spa day/massage/etc so that will be nice too. 
  • mj8215mj8215 member
    edited January 2017
    @virginiaunicorn11 you may already be familiar with trastevere but on your way to go out for drinks there (close to the bridge, near main synagogue) you must have dinner at Gigetto's! Pretty great carciofi to be had. 

Our trip is booked! 3 days SF and 3 days half moon bay! Super pumped. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Twinkiedoll I love Japan! We've been a couple of times and the food

PurplePumpernickel  My partner is the same. We take turns going to cold and warm holiday locations!

virginiaunicorn11 Wow! I went to Rome when I was 13 and always wanted to go back!
  • @cait32 Paris for your honeymoon - drool!  I may have missed it but when is your wedding?  How long will you be there?  Are you going in the spring?
  • Thank you, @mj8215! Just took a screenshot of your post, so I will remember. 
  • How close of a drive to nearest hospital with maternity services would you guys recommend or has your doctor mentioned anything? I want to go to Maui so bad but there's only the 1 hospital with a maternity ward, ugggh; nearest decent city with Beach side hotels with good ratings is 25-30 minute drive
  • My midwife had no issue with us going to Maui or Kona.  Did you ask your doctor @ericandmaria?
  • We have a 4 day weekend for Preident's Day Feb 17-20, and I wanted to do a quick getaway.  We tend to get suuuuper sick and tired of winter around here.  Last year we did a weekend in Philly, and went to the aquarium in Camden, NJ, and loved it.  For this year, I looked into some of those indoor water parks in the Poconos, but they are crazy expensive (especially that weekend), plus DS is only 3, and wouldn't get the full use of the water slides...and I can't go on them pregnant :(.  Any ideas in the Northeast for a fun winter weekend...obviously we can't go skiing, ice skating or snow tubing with the pregnancy, so I'm out of ideas.  We're in Orange County, NY...I don't want to drive too far away.
  • @chiquita928 I didn't know you are in OC! I'm in Dutchess! 
    Have you checked the indoor water park at Rocking Horse Ranch in Highland or Coco Key in CT?
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • Wow, you're right across the river!  I can't remember if you were part fof the bras for ginormous tatas conversation, but I saw there's a store called "Measured to Fit" in Wappingers...ever tried it?

Anyway...I was looking at those parks.  They're still pretty pricey (that weekend), but not as bad as the Poconos. Is there anything else near the Coco Key one that would be fun, that you know of?  Rocking Horse Ranch is so close that it would almost be silly to "go away" there.

• I think Coco Key is sort of close to my sister in Hartford, which is probably 1.5 hrs from Mystic Aquarium! I've been wanting to go back there for years!

I'm president of the itty bitty committee, so I've never had need of a specialty bra store lol
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • Idk why I thought this, but isn't Mystic very outside?  Maybe I'm just losing it.
  • I think the aquarium is mostly inside, but the seaport is definitely outdoors!  I haven't been since I was a kid, but I remember the new Orleans aquarium being inside...
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I am looking now, and it looks like they closed Coco Key.  I had been looking at the one in NJ. Bummer
  • Oh no!! I always meant to go!!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Okay, I know there are few Hawaii living ladies out here, and maybe anyone familiar with traveling there?! I'm not sure it will happen before baby, but I would love to take time and plan an amazing trip for DH and myself. No kids! There are just so many islands and different things to do. Do they have all inclusive places here, like in Mexico? I'm also surfing AirBNB. It's so fun to look!!! I'm thinking like dream vacation, but not go crazy! Is there a 'best time' to visit Hawaii??! Seems like it's always great. 
  • @LoveLee85, unfortunately there is not (or maybe one or two) all inclusive places.  Do you know which island you want visit?  Some of the best deals are Oahu and the big island.  
  • @GlitterFish and @chiquita928 I can't remember if we talked about this before but I'm also from dutchess county (grew up in hopewell jct) but live in mass now. We have a great wolf lodge (formerly coco keys) not too far from us in Fitchburg. It's a great indoor water park. We were just there last weekend with our 5 and 3 year old. 

Funny to hear about rocking horse ranch. I remember school trips there back in the day.
    Baby Q born on 7/20/2017
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @Creedon778 Small world!  I didn't know there was a GWL in MA...I just looked, and it's a LOT less expensive than the one in the Poconos...a little further away, but we'll live.  The only thing holding me back now if the weather!  What if we get a giant snowstorm...February is unpredictable.  I may just keep an eye on it and hope for the best booking sort of last minute.  We'll see.
  • @LoveLee85, unfortunately there is not (or maybe one or two) all inclusive places.  Do you know which island you want visit?  Some of the best deals are Oahu and the big island.  
    Thanks for replying! I haven't put much thought into which island. Wouldn't mind doing an island hop type thing?! I obviously have no idea what I'm taking about. HAHA. I think I just need to do some research to figure out what island offers what? I mean, it's Hawaii! I'm sure it's all amazing! 
  • edited January 2017
    @LoveLee85, Hawaii is amazing it's true.  I lived on Oahu for 3 years but I have been to almost all the islands, quite frequently for work.

Oahu, definitely the most popular and commercial.  Make your way to Kailua, it's amazing.  Again, lots of great deals, shopping, and restaurants on Oahu.

Maui, is the number one honeymoon destination.  It's also popular with families and a little pricier.  Lots to do but not as commercial as Oahu.  Maui is for lovers for sure.

Kauai, is the one I know the least about but when I was there they were filming Jurassic World.  Chris Pratt and Anna Ferris were at my hotel and I actually saw them.  I was star struck, I love them both.  Anyways, it was secluded and lovely and chickens roam the island freely, which I found hilarious.

Hawaii (the big island) is very, very relaxed, and the Aloha spirit is probably the most alive here in my experience.  We stayed on the Kohala Coast which is the drier side of the island.  We loved it.  It's my favorite by far.  It's quiet, secluded and very romantic.  They take light pollution very seriously so at night there are so many stars it's feels like they are going to fall on top of you.  We went during the perseids meteor shower last summer and my husband got me a travel telescope so I could really stargaze.  Also, the lava was flowing to the sea while we there so we got to see that.  Magnificent.  Seriously the best vacation of my life next to my honeymoon.  But there are not a bunch of fancy restaurants and what not so if that's important stick with Oahu and Maui.  They do have plenty of Safeway/Costco/Target yep shopping though.  Just not over ran with Prada and Gucci stores like Oahu.
  • @LoveLee85, Hawaii is amazing it's true.  I lived on Oahu for 3 years but I have been to almost all the islands, quite frequently for work.

Oahu, definitely the most popular and commercial.  Make your way to Kailua, it's amazing.  Again, lots of great deals, shopping, and restaurants on Oahu.

Maui, is the number one honeymoon destination.  It's also popular with families and a little pricier.  Lots to do but not as commercial as Oahu.  Maui is for lovers for sure.

Kauai, is the one I know the least about but when I was there they were filming Jurassic World.  Chris Pratt and Anna Ferris were at my hotel and I actually saw them.  I was star struck, I love them both.  Anyways, it was secluded and lovely and chickens roam the island freely, which I found hilarious.

Hawaii (the big island) is very, very relaxed, and the Aloha spirit is probably the most alive here in my experience.  We stayed on the Kohala Coast which is the drier side of the island.  We loved it.  It's my favorite by far.  It's quiet, secluded and very romantic.  They take light pollution very seriously so at night there are so many stars it's feels like they are going to fall on top of you.  We went during the perseids meteor shower last summer and my husband got me a travel telescope so I could really stargaze.  Also, the lava was flowing to the sea while we there so we got to see that.  Magnificent.  Seriously the best vacation of my life next to my honeymoon.  But there are not a bunch of fancy restaurants and what not so if that's important stick with Oahu and Maui.  They do have plenty of Safeway/Costco/Target yep shopping though.  Just not over ran with Prada and Gucci stores like Oahu.
    Wow, thank you!!! I want to go NOW. Lol That sounds lovely. I'm such a sucker for the sky/stars....that sounds so wonderful! I'm actually saving this information. You are awesome!! 
  • @Creedon778 Small world!  I didn't know there was a GWL in MA...I just looked, and it's a LOT less expensive than the one in the Poconos...a little further away, but we'll live.  The only thing holding me back now if the weather!  What if we get a giant snowstorm...February is unpredictable.  I may just keep an eye on it and hope for the best booking sort of last minute.  We'll see.
    Did you check groupon? I'm also in the NE and I got a weekend at the Poconos GWL for fairly cheap through groupon. We are going beginning of February though, not Presidents weekend FWIW.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Just convinced my DH and we are planning on Palm Springs, CA in late March. I may regret the 6hr flight from NY when the time comes, but I've wanted to go for a while now!
  • @mjacks16 same here! We leave mid-February and I'm leaving from Boston. Looks like it's been colder than usual on the west coast though...hope things warm up a bit in the next month! Where are you staying? We're at the JW Marriott.
    Baby Q born on 7/20/2017
  • @mjacks16 and @Creedon778 - we are heading to Palm Springs too! Probably in April. We live about 1.5 hours away, so it's just a mini-babymoon!
    married 7.18.12   DS1 4.29.13   EDD 11.23.14

my happy boy

• @mjacks16 and @Creedon778 - we are heading to Palm Springs too! Probably in April. We live about 1.5 hours away, so it's just a mini-babymoon!
    Add me to the mini-moon in Palm Springs! We are planning to go in April as well  B)
  • ;)@LoveLee85 I am no Hawaii expert, but we have been to Kauai quite a few times! My in laws love it there so we tag along as often as we can. It is GORGEOUS there and very relaxing. We always stay on Poipu and I would recommend it. It is definitely a quiet place and things close early (I'm not a 'night life' girl so it works for me!) We have hiked, sky dove, kayaked, rented stand up paddle boards, got massages, snorkeled, found secluded beaches, etc. Lots to do but it's great for relaxing too! Just wanted to share my experience  ;)
  • @notachanski I did look, but there wasn't anything yet.  I'll keep looking. :)
  • @Creedon778 We are staying at the Korakia Pensione. Looks super romantic and peaceful! 
  • @mjacks16 looks awesome. Saw it was voted one of the sexiest hotels in America. That's a good selling point!
    Baby Q born on 7/20/2017
  • This thread makes me jealous.  I haven't been able to convince DH to plan a getaway.  Carry on sharing your awesome plans while I turn green over here.
  • @caribbeanmama I may not be able to convince my hubs to even do a small weekend get away. He is always very worried about money. If I can't we can at least commiserate together. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • Thanks @Itsnotyourturn !  I'll have to ask my doctor when I see her on Friday about recommendations for far too stay from hospital, now I'm thinking Kuai may be better! Cool!
  • There are some great ideas here! My husband and I are kicking around a few ideas. We love Chicago so we have talked about going there but the thought of a beach in March or April sounds nice too. My sister is moving to Hawaii in February as a traveling nurse and will be there until August. We talked about going to see her over Easter but as someone else mentioned, I'm concerned about that long of a flight at 25-26 weeks pregnant. 
  • @Itsnotyourturn everything you said about Hawaii sounds perfect!  That's my top choice if I can find a decent flight. 
    Otherwise I was thinking California or maybe New Orleans and we could drive down to the beach
  • slach6515 said:
    There are some great ideas here! My husband and I are kicking around a few ideas. We love Chicago so we have talked about going there but the thought of a beach in March or April sounds nice too. My sister is moving to Hawaii in February as a traveling nurse and will be there until August. We talked about going to see her over Easter but as someone else mentioned, I'm concerned about that long of a flight at 25-26 weeks pregnant. 
    I lived in Hawaii during my first pregnancy and traveled to MD for my shower at 28-29 weeks.  If your Doctor approves, I wouldn't count it out!  I just made sure to stay hydrated and ask for help lifting things (people were generally super nice to me with my bump).  Obviously up to you but I'd go back in a second, it's truly amazing there.

DH's sister is currently a nurse there too!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I love hearing what everyone is doing to get some R&R before the baby is here. DH and I just booked a getaway to a spa in Sedona over Easter. (Thanks for the idea- @Cait32!) Can't wait! 
  • Hey guys! Almost booked! Going to Seattle for a few days to visit friends then a few days in Honolulu to visit some cousins then 3 nights in Maui, so excited!
  • We are going to the Breakers in Palm Beach in 2 weeks.