August 2017 Moms
Options

Announcing to boss

So I have a question. How do you announce to your boss that you are pregnant?

Here's my situation: started working for this company 11 months ago. In that time I got into a car accident, got tumors removed (found on CT scan when I went to ER for accident), have taken 3 weeks off for recovery, and am constantly going to Dr appointments. To top that off, I just got promoted into a new role (didn't tell boss I was pregnant when signing contract) that comes with more responsibility. Does this make me look bad? *Side note, wasn't trying to get pregnant and ex boyfriend friend left me when he found out I was pregnant.*

Re: Announcing to boss

• Options
    Correction: ex boyfriend left me. Not his friend. Autocorrect is not my friend 
  • Options
    I'm sorry you are feeling anxiety about this. You don't need to feel badly at all about not telling that you were expecting when you accepted your new role. It would actually be illegal for your employer to not choose you for that fact alone.

I understand feeling stressed, but I would just be open with them when you feel comfortable sharing. Be sure to look into your fmla/ short term disability/ leave of absence options so you are well informed. You got this mama. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Definitely following this thread to see what other moms have to say. I just started my job in September and I'm for sure waiting to tell her until 12 weeks, maybe longer since I am so new. I am eligible for short term disability when I'm due (less than a month from my 1 year start day) as my company provides it after 30 days of employment. I'm just nervous to tell my boss...
  • Options
    My boss is a guy  he has 4 kids of his own, but I work in inside sales. I cover a huge territory and have over 700 accounts. I'm 11 weeks on Monday and I'm already showing! 
  • Options
    Sounds like all of the time off is just something you couldn't help, but I would probably worry too.  If your boss is a decent human being, they should be understanding. When you tell your boss, discuss a plan on how you are going to handle pregnancy and career (for lack of better words). Talk about how you intend to work until X date or until you go into labor. Have a plan for how you will arrange appointments so that you can also meet client's needs. Let them know if you intend to come back full time or part time. If you can, discuss ideas of how your work load can be handled during your leave. Your boss might not be so overwhelmed if you are actively participating in how your work load will be covered. Good luck!
  • Options
    Sounds like all of the time off is just something you couldn't help, but I would probably worry too.  If your boss is a decent human being, they should be understanding. When you tell your boss, discuss a plan on how you are going to handle pregnancy and career (for lack of better words). Talk about how you intend to work until X date or until you go into labor. Have a plan for how you will arrange appointments so that you can also meet client's needs. Let them know if you intend to come back full time or part time. If you can, discuss ideas of how your work load can be handled during your leave. Your boss might not be so overwhelmed if you are actively participating in how your work load will be covered. Good luck!
  • Options
    If you've already been promoted despite the other time you've had to take off, it sounds like you're really good at what you do! I bet he will be understanding.
  • Options
    Thank you all. This makes me feel a lot less stressed!
  • Options
    Getting promoted in less than a year at a new job sounds awesome!  I think it sounds like you're doing a great job, and unless you really have a pressing reason to disclose early, I would wait.  As a PP mentioned, you not receiving a promotion due to pregnancy alone is illegal, and should (although obviously this isn't always true) not have any bearing on it.  

I had to disclose to my boss at 6 weeks because I work in a laboratory, and specifically with a chemical that is known to cause embryonic/ fetal defects.  It's a big part of our experiments, and I had to tell him so that the work load could be shifted a bit, so I could still have plenty to do, just not involving that specific chemical.   

DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    How would you recommend telling your boss who says you need more communication when you already give her your weekly schedule plus necessary updates that arise? I'm worried that waiting to tell her will come across as a lack of communication to her when I want to wait until 16-20 weeks since I've only been with the company for 4 months...
  • Options
    I told my boss today  he was great about it .@mrsashworth522, when do decide letting her know,  try communicating a plan for your leave of absence. I gave my boss my EDD, the amount of time I plan on taking, when my estimated return to work date will be, and how I would like to transition back. He was impressed about how much I cared for my clients.
  • Options
    I have it easy as a rn. I sent an email with my due date and that I plan on taking full 12 weeks off. And that was it. My unit will survive without me with other nurses picking up time or a travel nurse, but that's the managers problem to take care of.  Last time, when my baby came early, I left her a voicemail saying I won't be in anymore and see you in 12 weeks lol. there's really nothing they can prevent. The baby comes when it comes and you're entitled to your 12 weeks (if FMLA). 
  • Options
    I had to tell right away because I work in a pharmacy and there are many drugs that I can't handle while pregnant.  My boss was really understanding and supportive. 
  • Options
    I have to agree with the other gals, if you're getting promoted then you must be doing something right! Those other appts were completely out of your control, but I can see the reasons for being stressed. Good luck and keep us posted when you do tell!
    i work in a large doctors office with tons of women so someone is always pregnant haha. In fact I'm 99% sure there is one maybe two other women who are due within weeks of me. So my boss won't even bat an eye at it when I tell him. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker