February 2017 Moms

The official breastfeeding thread

13»

Re: The official breastfeeding thread

• ShawllsShawlls member
    edited January 2017
    @Gretchypoo, I tried re-usable ones with my first (a couple different brands) but I honestly didn't like them as much as disposable. Mostly because I found they slid around more (including sliding up and being visible for all to see!). What I like about the disposables is that they had a peel and stick backing and actually stayed in place. Also, I had heavy let-down (supply), so would need to change and/or wash them frequently, which just wasn't practical for me.
  • That was my experience with them too @Shawlls. I'm not even going to attempt reusable this time.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @ColeBug89 I'm glad the support group was so helpful for you! BF isn't some natural thing that comes easily. It takes time and patience to figure out for both you and baby. I've been so thankful for legation conultants at the NICU! They have been amazing! 
    Me (26) DH (28)
    Married 6.22.13
    Hoping for a Herd Linky
    4/15--TTC #1
    12/15--IF testing
    3/16--Dx Unexplained IF
    Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI + Progesterone cycle
    Cancelled due to cysts. Started 3 weeks of BCP.
    4/16--Cute Ute! Clomid+Ovidrel+IUI+Progesterone TI.
    Cancelled-no response
    5/16--Hemmorhagic cyst and other cyst discovered.
    No medicated cycle. MRI scheduled to rule out
    septate uterus.
    6/16--Septum discovered. Consultation for surgery.
    Surprise BFP 6/8/16--EDD 2/13/17
    Kole David--1.7.17--Tiny but Mighty, born at 34+5 after HELLP syndrome
    Chart Stalk Me

• @ColeBug89 how is breastfeeding going? Riley was 36 weeks but we are having SUCH a hard time keeping her awake to feed. I plan on going to a lactation support group when we get home, I'm glad to know it was helpful for you!! 
  • @ColeBug89 how is breastfeeding going? Riley was 36 weeks but we are having SUCH a hard time keeping her awake to feed. I plan on going to a lactation support group when we get home, I'm glad to know it was helpful for you!! 
    My little Kole will be 36 weeks this next Monday and he struggles to feed yet too. Are you still at the hospital? Definitely seek help from a LC, they are amazing in teaching how to pump, bottle feed, breast feed, etc. It is super frustrating when feeding is a struggle but seek help, it will get better. 
    Me (26) DH (28)
    Married 6.22.13
    Hoping for a Herd Linky
    4/15--TTC #1
    12/15--IF testing
    3/16--Dx Unexplained IF
    Cancelled-no response
    septate uterus.
    Chart Stalk Me

• ColeBug89ColeBug89 member
    edited January 2017
    @FerForShort breastfeeding is going ok for us from what I can tell (FTM here lol). She ate more frequently today than usual, but she's used to eating more during bottle feeds. We are also supplementing with her fortified breast milk (via bottle) when she doesn't seem satisfied and also for her night feedings per her pedi's recommendation. She seems to be taking the transition between bottle and breast pretty well.

I will say when we first brought her home, she slept ALL the time. We had to wake her up every three hours for her feedings, but after about a week she started waking herself up when she was hungry. She's definitely more awake and alert now than she was at first.

Some things that we did to keep her awake for eating were strip her down to her diaper and tickle her feet. We would also change her before eating to help wake her as well. All those seemed to do the trick for her, but every baby is different! The LC also suggested skin to skin to help with breast feeding and we have been doing that as well.

ETA: Pretty much everything @scottipino said is what we have been doing too!
  • @paigeed @scottipino @ColeBug89 thank y'all for all the good advice. FTM so everything is brand new. 

we are still at the hospital and lactation came by and they were awesome. They are supposed to come by tomorrow too so I'm hoping they can help me with her latch. . Between her latch not being the greatest and pumping after every feed my nipples are killing me! 
  • @FerForShort I'm the same way! When I was just pumping, my nipples were fine, but since I started both breastfeeding and pumping, they have been so sore! Nipple cream has been my best friend!
  • @FerForShort I'm a FTM too so this is all new. I also exclusively pump right now since my LO isn't ready for the breast. I'm glad the LC were helpful. For me, hand expressing before pumping helped. Although it still hurt a bit, when I began to pump then it didn't hurt as bad. 
    Me (26) DH (28)
    Married 6.22.13
    Hoping for a Herd Linky
    4/15--TTC #1
    12/15--IF testing
    3/16--Dx Unexplained IF
    Cancelled-no response
    septate uterus.
    Chart Stalk Me