March 2017 Moms

Caffeine?

hey ladies! Just curious as to who has drank caffeine throughout their pregnancies.. I'm a sucker for coffee and soda. Not something I like to admit but I generally have a cup of coffee and 2 small sodas each day. I found myself unable to give it up with this pregnancy as well as my first. Anyone else in the same boat? Any problems due to caffeine intake for you? 

Re: Caffeine?

• I gave up caffeine for the first trimester and the majority of the second. 
    To be honest, I added a little back during the second tri because my constipation was so bad, and caffeine helps me go. I have stuck to a black tea latte every other day.

I am still drinking WAYYYY less than before: One black or green tea every other day vs. 2 coffees + one tea a day before I was pregnant.

I haven't had any complications because of it.
  • serenity13serenity13 member
    edited January 2017
    @LindseyLooMagoo please use the designated discussion threads already established rather than continuing to add new discussions, as it helps keep things organized/less cluttered. For example, this is an example of something that should probably be under the "Random" thread. If you search previous discussion threads also you will often find the answers you'd like to get. :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @LindseyLooMagoo I have had a cup of coffee (200 mg of caffeine limit) per day for every day of my pregnancy! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've had caffeine every day in pregnancy except when I've been sick.  In fact, my doctors recommended it during the first trimester because I get migraines (which caffeine prevents) and they said a migraine was definitely more stressful for the babies than caffeine.  I keep it far below the 200mg they told me to max out at, though.  
  • I haven't given up coffee just more or so the amount. I used to drink coffee 4-5 days out of the week, I probably drink it about 2-3 days a week and I try to make sure I dont go past the 300mg reccomendation.  It was hard for me in the beginning of the pregnancy to drink coffee due to my morning sickness. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I just started adding caffeine back in the third trimester.  First and second it made me quite queasy so it was easy to omit it.
  • I have about 1.5 cups a day and occasionally and iced tea in the afternoon. Did the same with my first and she never sleeps!
  • I only drink it occasionally and have a cup of coffee a couple days a week. I have abstained from espresso drinks though. It's funny because for Christmas I got some coffee related gifts from coworkers but they said something about how I could save them for after baby was born. I was like uh obviously you haven't paid attention to when I bring my mug of coffee in with me when I work mornings haha. 
    married 10.10.14 @ Turks & Caicos
    yorkie mama to Oscar
    FTM EDD 3.12.17
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I cut caffeine out in the first trimester but I added it back in the second and just limit myself. Pre-pregnancy I would have a 16oz americano with an extra shot nearly every morning! Now I will occasionally have a cup of black coffee or a latte with a single shot.

Me: 26 Hubs: 28

Married: 6/6/15 <3

Baby Girl: 3/22/2017

• I have limited slightly, but I have a chia latte (homemade) just about every day. I'm not a big soda drinker, and typically when I have it I prefer non-caffeine soda anyways (sprite, etc.)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @betsy538 mind sharing your recipe? That sounds good!

I haven't fully cut out caffeine but have it more as an occasional treat at this point. My doctors are in the "under 200 per day is fine" camp, and earlier in pregnancy if I hit between 150 and 200 I could DEFINITELY feel it- so I use that as my guide and when I do indulge I stay well below that level. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • During the first trimester, I was too nauseated to have any desire for caffeine (or much else). Plus, as a teacher, I was on summer break and could sleep extra. Second trimester started right as the school year started so I picked caffeine up again, as I can't seem to manage my 5:00 a.m. wake-up without it. That's one cup of tea, coffee, or (my Friday "treat yo self" splurge) a Starbucks latte per day, which all fit below the 200 mg recommendation. I've felt guilty about it throughout the third trimester so I started to "half-caf" everything. I tried to cut out soda a few years ago, when I started to get serious about losing weight, so I have only had it a handful of times this pregnancy--mostly Sprite anyway, which I'm pretty sure is caffeine free. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

*TW* - BFP & MC in March 2016.
    BFP in June 2016; EDD March 2017.
    Samuel born February 2017! 

• I normally drink coffee maybe once every few weeks snd since being pregnant I've have a cup of hot chocolate with a small Amt of French vanilla cappuccino. I have been craving Pepsi which before being pregnant I probably had less than 5 times in the last 5 years. I drink a cup of soda now once a week. The cravings come  and go so most weeks I can get buy without it. But there are some weeks where I go through a 2 liter in 3 days.

• I limit myself to a cup of coffee or two glasses of iced tea a day. Generally though I haven't wanted coffee because its been making my heartburn worse. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have a coffee every day. But only one. not because I think more is bad, but because I he always only ever had one...coffee really effects me though. like makes me shake if in have more then one.  
  • Im the same way! My dr said "easy" on the caffeine. Not give it up altogether.

I cant function some days without a little extra and the migraines I get are HORRIBLE- the caffeine helps

• I am not a big soda drinker and more than one cup of tea or coffee gives me heart palpitations so its easy for me to minimalize intake- but some days I just NEED a cup of coffee! Iced especially <3 I feel that it shouldn't be an issue with baby if you keep under the 200mg limit 
  • I've had no problem drinking caffeine throughout this pregnancy and I know I did with my last.  Recently though, my bp has gotten higher than it usually is for me so I've cut down to almost nothing for the last week or so.
  • i had no caffeine last pregnancy... this time I have had a few cups of coffee sporadically when i need to survive lol but nothing steadily. it's just a personal choice for me. i'm probably making life more difficult for myself because I love coffee
  • Thankfully I never was someone who couldn't get through the day with out caffeine, but I do like the taste of coffee, and I love coca cola. That said I skipped caffeine entirely for first trimester just in case, then second and third I just drank it as I felt like it, but limited it to one small cup a day if I did have one, and now and then ordered decaff.  From my own research on the matter the only reason they tell you to lay off is because they don't want the poor baby going through caffeine withdrawal after birth, so basically the harm is being done if you need multiple cups a day every day. Other than that no studies have shown caffeine to do any harm by itself, though like I said, I stayed away from it first trimester just in case.

• I didn't have any in the first trimester.  I have had a few cups of half cafe here and there if I had a headache.  It helped.  I have gotten a total of 2 regular coffees so far & each time I had them I felt jittery gross after so I haven't had any more.  I think going by 200mg a day is probably the best bet,  but to each their own.
    ****TW****

Me: 39 DH: 40
    Married: 12/6/2014

BFP#1: 1/20/15      MC: 2/14/15
    BFP#2: 10/28/15    MC: 11/24/15
    BFP#3:  3/20/16     MC: 4/26/16
    BFP#4:  7/15/16     DD: 3/18/17
    BFP#5:  5/1/18     EDD: 1/12/19
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• This is the one vice I haven't given up. This whole pregnancy I've woken up every morning with a huge headache and the only way it goes away is having a cup of coffee. It's like my pregnancy craves caffeine. I also love my afternoon diet cokes. My sister drank 3-4 cups a day when she was pregnant with her third and that one was the best sleeper of the bunch. Praying I get the same luck.
  • I type this while I drink my morning coffee lol. I cut back from 2 to 1 cup per day, and that's not even every day.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I didn't drink any during 1sthe trimester because the thought of coffee made me feel nauseous.   Even most soda didn't sound appealing.  Now I drink probably 2 cups of coffee a day or a cup of coffee and a soda.  I sray under the 200mg or pretty close.
    BFP #1 7/1/2009 ~ EDD 3/9/2010 ~ Ella Adeline (7lbs 4 oz, 19.5 inches) 3/5/2010 csection (39w3d)
    BFP #2 7/13/2011 ~ EDD 3/16/2012 ~Aubree Olivia (9lbs 1oz, 21 inches) 3/15/2012 VBAC (39w6d)
    BFP #3 5/15/2014 ~ EDD 1/16/2015~Addison Isabelle (9lbs, 0oz, 21 inches) 1/25/2015 2VBAC (41w2d)
    BFP #4 7/20/2016 ~ EDD 3/25/2017 ~ Malachi Mathew (10lbs 0oz, 22 inches) 4/4/2017 emergency csection (41w3d)