September 2017 Moms

Prenatal testing

hoping this isn't a hot button topic...

I have my first appt tonight after work. We're going to go over all of the prenatal testing available and I'll choose what I want. 

I know im at least getting the cell-free DNA blood test around 10 weeks but I'm not sure of the others.

I didn't have any testing done with my first PG. TW- my 2nd PG, I found out my baby possibly had holoprocensaphaly from my ultrasound (had a lot of spotting so my OB sent me to Maternal fetal medicine), I had a follow up ultrasound where they were certain that's what it was (brain didn't separate into 2 sections in the front) so they said a lot of times it is associated with T13 or T18 so they suggested the cell free DNA test. It confirmed my son had T13. We ended up losing him. 

So Im obviously going to talk with the nurse, get all of the info and see what they suggest. I just wanted to see what others got or intend to get since this is kinda new to me. TIA! 

Re: Prenatal testing

• Last time I did the DNA testing.  Since this go around is a little different, I'm not sure what my OB and MFM will recommend.  I don't want to do any invasive testing unless absolutely necessary!
    Sable
    Married to David 3/22/14
    <3o:) Mommy to my angel Ella Lynne born into heaven 8/24/15 o:)<3
    Started TTC again October 2016
    BFP on 1/6/17!
  • So i'm a few years out of the game in terms of what people do nowadays.  Do most just do DNA testing now?  Back in 2013 I did the ultrasound and some blood work.  (Sorry don't mean to hijack your post). :) 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm so sorry for your loss ashley2824. Personally I'm all for the blood tests. It gives you lots of info with zero risk. Just a blood draw. I did this with my daughter last year and will with this one. I also love finding out the gender early as I have no patience lol. I'm personally against invasive tests, just my opinion. After our Anatomy scan they wanted me to do an amniocentesis with my daughter. I declined. 
  • @SugarRush no worries! I just did the anatomy scan for my 1st in 2012, no other tests and declined for my 2nd PG in 2015 but then after they found things I just did the cell free DNA blood test. My OB offers
    chorionic villi sampling 
    amniocentesis 
    sequential screening 
    quad screening 
    cell free dna 
  • @childcaremama thank you! I'm also against the invasive testing. They offered that with my last PG and I declined. 
  • I'm undecided as of now... I'll meet with my Dr. for the first time on Tuesday, so I guess I'll need to have a better idea by then. Interested to see what everyone else is planning to do! 

*TW* with my last pregnancy, she talked to me about it, and her recommendation with my age/health/general risk factor was not to do it unless 1. I would terminate based on the findings or 2. would be kept up at night worried about things being wrong.    At the time, I felt 100% confident saying I didn't feel the need to do it. After that pregnancy ending in a loss, I'm not sure how I feel this time. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • This might be a dumb question but doesn't the anatomy scan find most issues as well (and then you can get the testing after the AS)? "Extras" aren't covered my insurance since I'm not AMA or have a history that leans towards needing testing. With DS I didn't have any testing beyond a repeat AS becuase of an incooperative baby. 
  • I'm going to wait to see what my doctor recommends. I had a boatload of class-C drugs in my system around the time I ovulated and conceived. I didn't take anything after 4DPO, but I'm still a little worried, The calculated risk of continuing to take my medications was something we discussed before I got pregnant, and he had mentioned then that if I continued to take them extra tests might be necessary. I'm not comfortable with anything invasive, though, so we'll see.

• With my first pregnancy, we chose to do the NT scan because it was covered by insurance.  It was, by far, my favorite u/s and I'll be doing it again.  A good hour of watching a 12 week old fetus move and wiggle and play with his hands and feet on an enormous screen.  Absolutely amazing.  Tears streaming down my face the whole time.  I don't even remember getting the results because it wouldn't have mattered to me anyway.  No other DNA tests or prenatal tests were offered (this was 2012, things might be different).  With this pregancy, we won't do any invasive testing or extra blood work, unless my midwife thinks it's completely necessary.  I won't elect to do anything.  I'm just holding tight for that 12 week NT scan ;-) 
  • My last pregnancy my office only did the NT scan and sequential blood work which gives ratios of probabilities of possible disorders. I had a complication that sent me to an MFM for a CVS which I declined at the last second (literally laying on the table with the equipment set out) and did Harmony free cell DNA testing instead. 

They said back then they were trying to make free cell their standard but it was an insurance issue. I hope they have it now because getting a solid "yes" or "no" about specific defects when we thought our pregnancy was doomed was a huge relief over a possibility ratio. If they don't offer it again I will likely pay OOP at a lab for it. 
  • I've never had any prenatal testing before other than my general ultrasounds and bloodwork. However, I did take one single dose of a class c medication a couple days before BFP. This may be TMI, but a girl at work ended up getting pinworm and I got paranoid because although we have all of our hygiene needs like toilet seat covers, etc, the idea of it kinda grossed me out. Then after I got BFP I was even more paranoid that I may have somehow harmed the baby. Not to mention I had some drinks before BFP too. I'll ask about it on my first appointment and see what the obgyn suggests. 
  • Thanks for all of your input! I had my appt last night with the nurse and we discussed all of the testing. Since Im getting the cell free DNA done (blood work and scan that will be done at MFM due to my history- 2nd PG, baby had chromosomal abnormalities and holoprocensaphaly, PG ended in loss) it has the most accuracy so to do some of others probably won't be necessary. She said we can get the results from the cell free DNA and go from there. 
  • With my first w did the NT scan at 12w.  Since I'm AMA and Downs Syndrome runs in our family, I would love the cell free DNA testing.  I think the more time I have to prepare for a special needs baby, the better life I can provide.  So with any luck it's offered and covered by my insurance! Otherwise I'll be doing the NT scan at 12 weeks bc I know that is covered.