1st Trimester

Unusual pregnancy

ZLPMommyZLPMommy member
edited January 2017 in 1st Trimester
Has anyone had a period or a negative pregnancy test and still wound up being pregnant ? 
Or may know someone who can relate ?

Re: Unusual pregnancy

• ZLPMommy said:
    Has anyone had a period or a negative pregnancy test and still wound up being pregnant ? 
    Sure, but not that cycle. Both of those things are a very clear indication that you are NOT pregnant at this time and no amount of wishful thinking will change it.

Also, it's against the rules here to ask if you could be pregnant.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • ZLPMommy said:

It is scientifically impossible to be pregnant and get your period and stay pregnant.  While some spotting during pregnancy is common, or isolated bleeding incidents, like a diagnosed SCH for example, if you are getting your actual menstrual period, it is impossible to be pregnant.

It is possible to get a negative pregnancy test because you tested too early, and then test later in the same cycle and get a positive test.  But not if you have gotten your period in between these two things.  Those would be separate cycles with a period in between them.

In short, if you have recently had a negative pregnancy test and are currently bleeding (more than spotting - like requiring a pad or tampon), you are not pregnant at this time.  Good luck in the next cycle.

• Loading the player...
  • ZLPMommy said:
    @ZLPMommy

Yes actually I have had all 3. I had a period, negative pregnancy test AND still wound up pregnant.
    It went something like this:
     - Each month negative pregnancy tests followed by my period until November when I finally got a positive test after a long time TTC.

Basically if you're getting you period, you're probably not pregnant.
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• I might be interpreting OP's post a different way. I DO know a woman who didn't know she was pregnant until a doctor confirmed she was six months. Why? Well, she had some other health issues anyway that she chalked up her symptoms to. She thought she had her period- sometimes we do spot while pregnant, after all. And she took three pregnancy tests that all came out negative. (It's worth noting that she didn't see a doctor up until that point because at the time she was on medicaid. Maybe if she had better healthcare it would have been realized sooner.)

Crazy. 

So she had just three months to even get used to the idea that she was pregnant, as it was totally unplanned and the father was a new relationship for her. Fast forward a couple years and they're married and the kid is totally healthy and happy. 

This is not to say, "Oh honey don't worry about your period coming and that negative test, you might still be pregnant!" No. I think my friend's case is pretty rare and somewhat worthy of that TV show "I didn't know I was pregnant."

If you're worried/confused whatever, see a doctor. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I can relate a little. On the day i was due i started bleeding and bled for 9 days. I had two scans duing this time and they could not find the reason why. If we had not been ttc i would habe totally assumed that this was my period, and would have been totally shocked next cycle when i found myself with and 8w embryo! In saying that, PPs  are right, there are instances of bleeding in early preg but technically none of those reasons are actually a period. It would be physically improssible to maintain a pregnancy while your uterine lining is shedding
  • Nope, sorry. Better luck next month!