Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Confirmed Chemical Pregnancy Today

Greetings All,

I have been part of the Bump for a few months and usually post on the TTGP board. I just learned about this board today. I got my first BFP on 12/4/16 and the following day started bleeding. My HCG level yesterday was 6. So they confirmed it was a chemical pregnancy. I had my follow up appointment today to do a pelvic exam and I have one more beta draw tomorrow morning.

Emotionally, I am a bit all over the place. It was our first month TTC and I felt so overjoyed that we were lucky the first time. I didn't realize that 48 hours could be such a roller coaster once I started bleeding. It lasted for two days and now it's over.

My doctor said to wait 3 cycles to build up stronger uterine lining, but I am not wanting to really wait. I was on Mirena for 10 years and got off in October. So not sure if that has anything to do with it, but I did have one period between mirena removal and TTC. I am tempted to start trying again next week when I will likely ovulate (if my cycle stays normal).

I know this is widely discussed, but what have others done after a miscarriage or chemical pregnancy?

Thank you in advance for any insights you have.

Re: Confirmed Chemical Pregnancy Today

• Siggy Warning and child mentioned

I got pregnant with my son the month after my CP and this time 3 weeks after a MC.  Your doc is recommending as precaution.  I was told 1 month.  Never 3 months. It really is whatever you feel most comfortable doing mentally.  There is no greater risk of CP/MC right after.  So sorry for you loose and take care....

****Siggy Warning***
    Me-35 Hubby-36

CP-11/2013
    CP-4/2014
    BFP-06/2014-EDD 02/16/2015
    Valentine boy born 02/14/2015
    BFP-08/2016 MC 6wks
    Surprise BFP-09/13/16 EDD 5/26/17

PitaPata Dog tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • @schnitz9: Thanks for your response. That is encouraging to hear. I know I shouldn't expect anything, but I feel like I don't want to wait to try. So I will talk more with my DH about it.
  • Loading the player...
  • schnitz9schnitz9 member
    edited December 2016
    @dragonfly87 no problem.  As you can see I got pregnant with my son 6 weeks after a CP as well.  Again it really is up to how you feel.  I will say this. The saying things happen when you least expect them is totally true.  I was devastated after my MC and knew that it would prob take some time to get pregnant again.  We were actually on vacation and decided to have fun for once and not worry.  That's apparently when I became pregnant.  My best advice is to take care of yourself and don't think about the future.  Just try and relax.  I know it is so hard to do .  Giving yourself time to heal is not necessarily a bad thing. All the luck to you and I hope you are able to join a new BMB very soon.... 
    ****Siggy Warning***
    Me-35 Hubby-36

CP-11/2013
    CP-4/2014
    BFP-06/2014-EDD 02/16/2015
    Valentine boy born 02/14/2015
    BFP-08/2016 MC 6wks
    Surprise BFP-09/13/16 EDD 5/26/17

PitaPata Dog tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I am sorry for you loss. My doctor told me to wait one month after my d&c
  • I had a chemical pregnancy at the beginning of last month after our first month of TTC. I feel the same way that you do so we started trying again this month but it's all up to you. I'm sorry for your loss, it will get better.
    Me:26    DH:34
    married: 7-16-2016
    TTC: 10/16
    BFP: 10-31-2016
    M/C:11/16

• sorry for your loss. I am in the same sad boat only this is my 2nd loss in a few months. This was our first pregnancy after trying for 2.5 years.. got pregnant in august and was 6 weeks 3 days when I lost the baby in October 1st. They said it was a chromosomal pregnancy. Grieved the loss, held onto the support from my family and friends to help me get through the pain.

Was given the ok by my doc to try again if we were ready.  Wasn't really trying and figured it wouldn't happen that fast. I need help with ovulation medication so I was shocked to find out I was pregnant again in the midle of December. I was about 5 weeks and lost another baby which was a chemical pregnancy  .
    TTC is all up to you and when you feel ready. My ob told me to wait until the bleeding had stopped and that we didn't need to take precautions. All you can do is grieve how you need to, take care of yourself and remain hopeful that your little angel will come soon. There's no set time when to try again but you do need to give yourself and your body time to heal. Hope this helps a little and I'm here if you need someone to listen :)
  • I got KU right after my M/c and I m/c again so... I'd wait at least 1 month. 
    Siggy Warning--------

CP #1- due April 2017 lost 5.5 weeks
    cp #2- due May 2017 lost at 4.5 weeks
    iUI #1- BFN
    IUI #2-BFN
    IVF#1- transfer 2- BFP! Due October 2017 c/p#3 lost at 3.5 weeks
  • @rainbowwishes5 Thanks for the response. We tried last cycle, but no BFP. I also had a 2 day, very light spotty period (similar to my CP cycle). So I am wondering if I might still have a very thin uterine lining due coming off Mirena about 3 months ago. 
  • I got KU up right away after my MC but that unfortunately ended a few weeks ago with a MMC. Some people had lucked with staying KU immediately after. I wasn't so fortunate. 
  • @MimoCa: sorry for both of your losses :(
  • @dragonfly87 we will get our rainbows :)
  • So sorry for your loss. I am going through what I believe is a chemical pregnancy now. I got my first BFP on 12/29 and started spotting on 1/4, 6 days later. I spotted for three days, and today began heavier bleeding similar to a period. I had my HCG tested last Wednesday and it was 57, in the "normal" range for 4 weeks 3 days, but very low. Since then, my pregnancy test lines have gotten lighter, and I never did have any pregnancy symptoms like I had with my son's pregnancy. I had a follow-up HCG and progesterone test on Friday, but won't get the results back until Monday morning (but at this point am pretty confident of what is happening).

This was also our first month TTC, so we were shocked and thrilled that we conceived so quickly. Emotionally it has been really difficult as we had such an easy pregnancy with our son and this came as a huge shock to us.

Only you can decide when you're ready to start trying again. I've read that with a chemical pregnancy and a miscarriage so early on, there is no harm in trying right away after you're done bleeding. I think it more depends on if you're emotionally ready (and if you're emotionally ready to handle another loss so soon if it were to happen again as it did for a few previous posters). For me, we've decided to wait a bit before trying again. At this point, I don't think I could handle another loss if we were to try again next month and have the same thing happen ... I know I need some time to recover emotionally.

Originally, we had planned on waiting until early June to start TTC, but decided instead to start trying a bit earlier this December, then if we didn't get pregnant in a few months, we would take a few months off during the winter baby months (long story) and start trying again in June. So while this loss has been really tough, we're comfortable with going back to our original plan to start TTC again in June, which will give me some time to recover emotionally and time to more fully prepare for another baby (we have a 16-month-old now).

Wishing you all the best and I'm rooting for you!!
  • dragonfly87-2dragonfly87-2 member
    edited January 2017
    @jen83mn: So sorry for your what you are going through. It is emotionally devastating and even though its so early, it doesn't make it hurt any less. Sending positive thoughts.

We are continuing with TTC but I am not optimistic for the next few cycles given my light and short periods that I have mentioned above.

Emotionally, I think I can handle TTC and whatever the outcome is, but I don't think my body has adjusted itself after BC.