Toddler Foods — The Bump
June 2015 Moms

Toddler Foods

Ladies, what is your toddler eating? I've had issues with solids with my LO since the beginning. He is 18 months now and he is extremely picky. Right now he is into home made soup, yogurt, and veggies must be blended. He hates eggs with a passion.

Any ideas, links to any websites you know of is greatly appreciated.

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 12/23/13 MMC 01/24/14 @ 9w5days

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Toddler Foods

• I was having issues woth my son eating too. Lately he's been eating better. He likes spaghetti with tomato sauce. He also loves pasta Alfredo with spinach.
  • My kid used to eat anything and everything. Now, he eats much better if it's bites from my plate vs just feeding him alone in his high chair (he eats so much earlier than us, but we are trying to switch to family meals). Also tough is he changes his mind day to day on what he will eat. He refuses any and all pasta (which I've never heard of in a little kid?!). The following foods, he eats pretty consistently:

He eats at least 2 bananas a day, and would eat more but we cut him off.

Spoonful of peanut butter.

Breakfast is a bowl of oatmeal with either yogurt (and fruit like blueberries or peaches or mandarins mixed in), or with peanut butter and a little honey and cinnamon mixed in.

Blueberries - he goes crazy for them.

Small pieces of nuts (I break cashews into like 6 pieces). 

Ham. 

Cheddar cheese.

Grapes.

Canned mandarins.

Mashed potatoes.

Cooked carrots are hit or miss.

He likes foods that are more sour than I would think he would like. Daycare said he goes crazy for chopped cucumber and tomatoes mixed with balsamic. He also likes pickles, plain yogurt, and vinegar-based potato salad.

Bread - usually we can get some hummus or cream cheese onto it. We get whole grain bread and other healthy breads, since he wants it plain, often.

alcrimmins
  • @virginiaunicorn11 thank you for your response. Your LO has variety. I haven't given mine any peanut anything, I thought I had to wait until he is two? 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 12/23/13 MMC 01/24/14 @ 9w5days

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• beemaya83 said:
    @virginiaunicorn11 thank you for your response. Your LO has variety. I haven't given mine any peanut anything, I thought I had to wait until he is two? 
    I think it depends on your family's sensitivities. New recommendations for the general public are to expose them early - so he's been getting nuts since ~8 months. I'd ask your pedi, but for us, 2 sounds late.  
    beemaya83
  • Also, avocados! He likes them plain or you can mash them onto bread. 
    beemaya83
  • We are hit or miss every day depending on growth or teeth pain. 

Breakfast is usually yogurt, blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries, Eggs (sorry yours won't eat them), pancakes (I buy frozen in bulk and microwave with a tiny coat of pb or jelly), or oatmeal. 

Snack: cheese stick and applesauce fruit pouch

Lunch: Lunchmeat, cottage cheese, leftover veggies, cucumbers

Dinner: whatever we're eating. Loves pasta, and mixed veggies

Favorites: green olives (thanks to my dh), pickles, cheeto puffs, fruit cups, pudding, popcorn, tiny pieces of nuts, anything cheese or fruit
    beemaya83
  • DS loves fruit pouches, especially the spinach pears and peas, and banana blueberry ones. He also like blueberries, sliced strawberries, bananas, pineapple, Maria's gamesas, pasta with sauce and cheese (like baked ziti or lasagna), beef stroganoff, Tyson frozen chicken nuggets with ketchup, Nosa yogurt in blood orange and raspberry flavors, buttered white toast, Gerber puffs, and Gerber beef and vegetables and chicken and vegetables and mac n cheese, and cheese pizza.

A good trick is if you're eating it and he seems interested, offer it to him, mashing up things as needed to see what he may learn to like.

Picky eating is just something some kids do and you have to be patient, creative and persistant!

Me: 30
         DH: 34
    Married 11/09/2013
    LO#1: LMP 09/19/2014  BFP 10/15/2014  EDD 06/24/2015  DS Born 06/14/2015
    LO#2: LMP 09/18/2016  BFP 10/19/2016  EDD 06/27/2017 DD Born 06/27/2017
    LO#3: LMP 05/16/2018  BFP 06/18/2018  EDD 02/20/2019

beemaya83alcrimmins