July 2017 Moms

All the Mamas "State" wise, how did you chose your OBGYN

zara4kzara4k member
edited December 2016 in July 2017 Moms

Hello everyone! Reading everyone's posts iv realized everyone has access to different types of care and it's really interesting to compare! If everyone could share their preferred obgyn and why they selected him/her state wise I thought it would help those who are a bit clueless like me! How did you guys settle on your current obgyn? Where do you guys live? Are some doctors more "famous" than others? 

I myself  would ideally like a more "natural" approach doctor. Someone who is pro food therapy and natural child birth, someone who respects my decision of less invasive procedures and alternative options to certain procedures( like the glucola drink!) rather than someone who discourages me for my choices.

im in VA, and I have narrowed it down to two doctors. 
I have currently been tested positive for GBS and been prescribed antibiotics which I would hate to take so earlier on and would want an alternative option if there was any. 

(I made a post earlier but changed the topic as there was a post similar already running with ample information) 

Re: All the Mamas "State" wise, how did you chose your OBGYN

• Check out the thread on this page called "Baby's sex - old wives tales check in." Lots of good responses there!
  • zara4kzara4k member
    edited December 2016
    Thanks il delete this starting a new topic 
  • Loading the player...
  • I haven't heard of someone gething tested for GBS in first trimester. And I also want to say that taking oral antibiotics won't do much good, especially this far in advance when you could contract it again. This all just seems odd. That being said, weird things happen. On another note, keep in mind that if you're GBS positive, you are likely going to need an IV throughout labor to provide antibiotics at that point. I did research on GBS for my thesis and I have seen first hand how it can pass through the blood-brain barrier, wouldn't want to risk it and go without the IV antibiotics. Good luck!
  • dancegurl1118dancegurl1118 member
    edited December 2016
    If you have a GBS uti at any point in pregnancy you are considered colonized and will be treated as such in labor. 

You may want to look for a practice with both midwives (CNM's) and MD's as in my experience I've seen midwives be much more open to a holistic care and treatment. At least where I work there are a few practices with midwives where they do all the care in labor as well as deliver the baby and the MD is just standing in the corner as the baby comes out. We also have a practice that is solely midwives with no MD which is more rare but they are very sought after for their care and approach. 

Just remember it's never too late to change practices. You are their customer and are paying them. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • What part of VA are you in?  There are some really nice birthing centers with both OBs and midwives in Warrenton and Fairfax that I know of.
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I second @Xath...where in VA are you? I'm in Northern VA and the practice I go to has MDs and two midwives as part of the practice. They only deliver at one hospital, though (but it's one of the best in the nation for women's and children's care).
    Married: 10/13/2013
    TTC #1: Mirena removed 5/26/2015; DH - normal SA, me - diagnosed with PCOS 8/4/2016 - on Metformin; BFP - 10/29/2016!!!, EDD - 7/8/2017; DD born 6/29/2017
  • I second the PPs mentioning midwives. Location wise I'm of no help (Iowa, here), but when I was looking I started with an OB/GYN practice my PCP recommended. They were ok, but I sensed a natural birth plan was not their top choice.

I ended up asking a colleague/friend where she went, since we have the same outlook on pregnancy and childbirth (it is a natural part of being a woman, not a medical catastrophe) and found a midwife practice connected to one of the main hospitals in our area.

One tip - if you are interested in switching, call the practice and ask if you can come in for some sort of meet and greet. My new midwife practice was able to set up a 15 minute chat between one of the midwives, DH and I, and it was completely free and not billed to my insurance. It felt like a nice, risk-free way to see if it was a good fit!
    Me: 30 DH: 30
    Dating: 12/21/2001
    Married: 09/08/2012
    TTC: 09/2016
    BFP: 11/16/2016 EDD: 07/27/2017
    Baby Fish born: 08/01/2017

• lfk2013 said:
    I second @Xath...where in VA are you? I'm in Northern VA and the practice I go to has MDs and two midwives as part of the practice. They only deliver at one hospital, though (but it's one of the best in the nation for women's and children's care).
    Would you happen to be delivering at Inova Fairfax?? That's the hospital I'll be delivering in this time. It's literally 2 minutes away from my house and I'm so excited it's all brand new since they opened the new labor and delivery renovated wing last January! 
  • lfk2013 said:
    I second @Xath...where in VA are you? I'm in Northern VA and the practice I go to has MDs and two midwives as part of the practice. They only deliver at one hospital, though (but it's one of the best in the nation for women's and children's care).
    Would you happen to be delivering at Inova Fairfax?? That's the hospital I'll be delivering in this time. It's literally 2 minutes away from my house and I'm so excited it's all brand new since they opened the new labor and delivery renovated wing last January! 
    I would be if I were in the US right now (and might if I decide to go home for delivery, still up in the air).  My OB practice just switched to Inova this year; they were previously associated with Virginia Hospital Center.

Of course they switch to the hospital 5 minutes from my house when I'm not living there anymore (and we plan for this to be our last baby).  Where are you in Nova?  We have a townhouse in Annandale.
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
  • @Xath I live in Annandale too, right outside the beltway near the hospital. We're right on the boarder with Fairfax. How long are you guys planning on staying in the U.K.? I'm jealous! I wish we could live in the U.K. for a few years, we absolutely loved London when we visited. We stayed in Pimlico, rented an apartment off of One Fine Stay and stayed for two weeks. It was so much fun! 
  • @Xath @lfk2013 I'm in Fairfax! 

yeah I don't feel comfortable taking antibiotics so early on I would rather try treat myself naturally and if it doesn't work I'm open to antibiotics! But I don't want to jump to medicine first thing! I prefer female obgyn and would love to know the name of the practice you two are mentioning 

Thankyou so much, I'm going to Kathy Wolfe practice right now and plan to check out Jamie Zaita aswell in feb (earliest appointment I got)! 
  • zara4k said:
    @Xath @lfk2013 I'm in Fairfax! 

yeah I don't feel comfortable taking antibiotics so early on I would rather try treat myself naturally and if it doesn't work I'm open to antibiotics! But I don't want to jump to medicine first thing! I prefer female obgyn and would love to know the name of the practice you two are mentioning 

Thankyou so much, I'm going to Kathy Wolfe practice right now and plan to check out Jamie Zaita aswell in feb (earliest appointment I got)! 
    You can try all the probiotics: lots of yogurt and kefir etc.  Wholefoods has lots of options even dairy free ones.  That's what I'm doing because I was positive for my last delivery and don't want to be this time around. There is also kombucha but my pregnancy brain thinks it sounds gross for now. I'm with a certified midwife that works with a team of OBs in the hospital.  They are much more accommodating and know how to get a natural birth or mildly assisted birth done if that's your preference.  You should check with your hospital's policy but in the third trimester, you can push to be tested again to see if you are in the clear - that is the result they will use to determine if you should get antibiotics during delivery.  At my hospital, if you decline the antibiotics, then baby has to stay an extra 48 hours (they may discharge you depending on insurance) and baby has to be tested after birth- it is a spinal tap.  Also, many persons say that penicillin burns (this is for those not allergic) so you may want to let them know that you prefer an alternative antibiotic - so as not to have that discomfort added to labor.  I don't remember the alternative antibiotic but as I had discussed it weeks before labor with my midwife, it was on my chart so the nurse on call in triage knew to get it.
  • @supermom83 Small world!  We'll be in the UK and we head home this summer (probably 8 weeks after LO is born, or once can get a passport).  This was sort of weird timing, but I think it will work out ok.   I do love it here in the UK, but I think I'll be happy to move home too (though I'm not looking forward to returning to NoVa traffic). 

@zara4k I don't think you'd like my OBs; they're pretty intervention/medicine heavy.  But I had a chance to tour NoVa Natural Birth Center in Chantilly during a cloth diaper event and it was so amazing.  If I didn't have such complicated pregnancies, I'd definitely consider them.  The facility looks like an office park from the outside, but their birthing rooms are like luxury hotels and they are very open to medical alternatives.  (https://novabirthcenter.com/) 

If you do end up wanting to go with more traditional OBs, I love Woman's Health Corporation based out of Fairfax and McLean; they recently merged with Inova Medical Group.  Dr. Armstrong was my primary OB; he loves cesareans, so probably not what you're looking for unless you need one.  Then he's definitely your guy.  I've also worked with Drs. Bannon, Solomon, and Hennessey.  Dr. Bannon delivered two of my children, and she's constantly rated among Washington's top doctors.  She has the most calming and reassuring bedside demeanor.  I'm not familiar with the Inova doctors, as they merged after we moved overseas.  
  • Thankyou so much @caribbeanmama I will definitely ask them esp if it burns!! And yes I'm taking lots of non dairy sources of probiotics now so let's see how that goes! It really helps to compare other people's experiences and what their doctors offered them, I want to know all my options! 

Thanks so much you never know if you need one and il keep that doctors name in mind for sure, nova birthing centre does seem very tempting to me aswell but I just scared because you never know what will happen and then you end up blaming yourself for life.  @Xath
  • If you want something that's a healthy mixture of traditional hospital and birthing center, I've heard really good things about Fauquier Hospital.  They redid their maternity wing recently as more of a birthing center environment, but also have a surgical suite in case of emergencies and a fully staffed NICU.  Its a bit of a drive from Fairfax but not unmanageable.

Also the Nova Birthing Center I believe has a strong working relationship with Inova Fair Oaks; they actively monitor their patients for issues and will transfer them if something comes up out of the scope of their abilities.  

This info is a bit dated, but hopefully it gives you a good starting point.
  • From what my MIL said, the penicillin burns because there is postassium. What I found was having them dilute it more in the IV and increase the infusion rate was what worked best, no more burning.
  • @supermom83 - Yes! I live 5-10 minutes (depending on traffic) from the hospital. I'm in "downtown" Annandale.

@zara4k - I go to NOVA Group for Women. All the doctors/midwives are female, which is a HUGE comfort to me since they know what I'm going through. :)
    Married: 10/13/2013
    TTC #1: Mirena removed 5/26/2015; DH - normal SA, me - diagnosed with PCOS 8/4/2016 - on Metformin; BFP - 10/29/2016!!!, EDD - 7/8/2017; DD born 6/29/2017
  • Wow!  July Annandale baby boom.  :)
  • Now I'm getting scared,I wasn't tested for gbs but it came out in my urine sample , I'm reading if it comes out in your urine sample there's some chances of "bad" things happening and it's not worth walking around with an infection. Now that i think about it my first urine culture showed excess white blood cells and around that same time is when I started breaking out like never before. And then the second urine test showed gbs positive. Now I'm just freaking out. I know my body and hormones alone could not have done this to my face! I'm worried my natural approach is wrong and I hope no damage has been done 
    I asked for more time and they have called me in tofay to do a urine sample just to see if I really do need antibiotics but I'm reading horrible things!
  • When it comes to GBS I wouldn't mess around.  It's one of those things that is no big deal if treated properly with antibiotics and can be a very big deal if it isn't.  I get wanting to avoid unnecessary antibiotics but IMO treatment for GBS is not in the unnecessary category.