Babies on the Brain

Weaning off Anti-Depressants

I was diagnosed with depression back in June of this year and have been taking Celexa once a day. I have also been going to some counseling and it's been determined that it's basically 12 years of grief from losing my mom to breast cancer in 2004 that's been compacted and covered up over the years, topped off with getting married and moving 400 miles away, losing both my grandparents, having a MC, and unrealized post-partum depression, that my body finally couldn't handle properly on its own anymore and started to shut down mentally. I feel so much better and have a much better outlook on everything since taking the medicine. I feel like I've finally dealt with my grief, and my counselor agrees as well. However, I'm leery about weaning off the medicines that I'll slip back to where i was before.
We are contemplating trying for baby #2 in the Spring and I also plan on breastfeeding again. I have Paraguard, so there's less than 1% chance I'll get pregnant until I have it removed, so I'm not concerned about an unplanned pregnancy while still on the medicine. I am debating whether to start trying to wean myself off the medicine or not. One of the happiest times I can remember in the past 5 years was when I was pregnant with DD who will be 2 in a couple weeks, so I'm hopeful going off the medicines and hopefully conceiving shortly after will help keep me in a good place mentally. There haven't been any reports of problems while taking anti-depressants, but there hasn't been much research done, either.
Has anyone here gone off anti-depressants before trying to get pregnant? Or is there anyone who stayed on medicine while you were pregnant and/or nursing? If so, please let me know how it went for you! I understand this is a decision I need to talk with my doctors about, but I wanted to hear your opinions and experiences, too!
BFP 9/11/13   EDD 5/21/14   MC 9/20/13  <3
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP 2/25/14   EDD 11/5/14   BD 11/4/14
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

BFP 8/26/17  EDD  5/5/18
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Weaning off Anti-Depressants

• I was diagnosed with depression back in June of this year and have been taking Celexa once a day. I have also been going to some counseling and it's been determined that it's basically 12 years of grief from losing my mom to breast cancer in 2004 that's been compacted and covered up over the years, topped off with getting married and moving 400 miles away, losing both my grandparents, having a MC, and unrealized post-partum depression, that my body finally couldn't handle properly on its own anymore and started to shut down mentally. I feel so much better and have a much better outlook on everything since taking the medicine. I feel like I've finally dealt with my grief, and my counselor agrees as well. However, I'm leery about weaning off the medicines that I'll slip back to where i was before.
    We are contemplating trying for baby #2 in the Spring and I also plan on breastfeeding again. I have Paraguard, so there's less than 1% chance I'll get pregnant until I have it removed, so I'm not concerned about an unplanned pregnancy while still on the medicine. I am debating whether to start trying to wean myself off the medicine or not. One of the happiest times I can remember in the past 5 years was when I was pregnant with DD who will be 2 in a couple weeks, so I'm hopeful going off the medicines and hopefully conceiving shortly after will help keep me in a good place mentally. There haven't been any reports of problems while taking anti-depressants, but there hasn't been much research done, either.
    Has anyone here gone off anti-depressants before trying to get pregnant? Or is there anyone who stayed on medicine while you were pregnant and/or nursing? If so, please let me know how it went for you! I understand this is a decision I need to talk with my doctors about, but I wanted to hear your opinions and experiences, too!
    I suggest talking to your doctors (which is seems like you already know) because they know you better than any internet stranger. That being said, I don't have any experience with TTC while on the meds but IF it were me, I personally would want to be off the meds before getting pregnant.
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• This entirely depends on what you and your doctor believe will be best for you. If the meds are what keep your head above the water, your doctor will likely want to keep you on an antidepressant. It's  more than a personal choice, it's a medical one. Don't go by what others do or would do in your situation. Go by what you and your doctor feel will be the best for you and your future child.

I have been on antidepressants off and on for the past number of years. When we were TTC before, my doctor and I decided  to wean me off, since I am very stable off of my antidepressants. Now that we're TTA for the time being, I'm back on the medication. Once we get closer to TTC again, I'll be weaned back off. This has everything to do with how I can cope off of the medication, and very little to do with personal wishes. You're better off taking your antidepressants and staying sane while TTC and pregnancy than stopping them and falling in to that hole again.

Me: 30 | DH: 34 | DSS: 14 | DS: 4
    PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for your responses! It's definitely a hard choice to make. I know I'll mentally be better staying on them, but will beat myself up if something goes wrong because I kept taking it.
    BFP 9/11/13   EDD 5/21/14   MC 9/20/13  <3
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP 2/25/14   EDD 11/5/14   BD 11/4/14
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

BFP 8/26/17  EDD  5/5/18
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I don't have any experience with Celexa specifically but just wanted to say I've done it both ways--gone off the antidepressants immediately prior to pregnancy with baby #4 (turned out to be a terrible idea for me) and stayed on with baby #5 (much better experience and baby is absolutely fine).  No matter what you and your doctor decide, it's a really good idea IMHO to continue with the counseling throughout.

Good luck and don't obsess or stress about it AT ALL if you do decide to stay on.  Mom's wellbeing is a huge, huge deal in terms of baby's outcome.

Take care of yourself!
    Laura, mom of:
    James (14)
    William (13)
    Elise (11)
    Zachary (5)
    George (3)

www.letterstoauntkay.com [making the blog private.  PM me if you want to subscribe]
  • I can definitely sympathize- I just went off of my antidepressant in order to TTC, and plan on going back on a more pregnancy-friendly one ASAP (just waiting on getting in to see my psychologist/psychiatrist). I personally feel that the minimal risk of being on an antidepressant while pregnant is worth me being as mentally stable as possible, but it is a very personal decision.
    Me: 28 DH: 29
    Married: 6/2016
    TTC #1: 12/2016
    Benched due to deployment- Off the bench 8/8/17!