July 2017 Moms

NT Scan and gender?

Re: NT Scan and gender?

• Cait32 Eep whoops sorry, my mistake! Thanks for clearing that up! 

I used to be terrible with needles but infertility treatment cured that! I am lucky that I have great veins but I also always make sure I'm hydrated and have just done some exercise before getting blood drawn.

• dancegurl1118dancegurl1118 member
    edited January 2017
    @chiquita928 nothing ruins my day faster than screwing up an IV for a patient though. That shit hurts. 

Guys I take it back. Maybe I shouldn't generalize. I only know my experiences with my coworkers and my hospital and maybe there are some Nurse Rachett's out there who find joy in harming you guys. 

9 times out of 10 someone is nervous for the IV and I always tell them "id be more concerned if you were excited for this!"
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Loading the player...
  • kerils said:
    @virginiaunicorn11 I don't know about every experience, but I'm pretty sure there are midwives and birth centers where you don't have to have an IV. I would ask your doctor. 
    Good call. I speak with my midwife on Thursday for the first time (YAY!!), so will plan to ask. My OB won't deliver me. I tried to refuse last time and the hospital insisted, and DH told me to deal with it. 

The irony is I am fine with an epidural because I don't see it. And DH knows not keeping his mouth shut about why his eyes were so wide when he watched it happen, is punishable by death ;)
  • This will be my 4th baby and I've always been terrified of needles! It hasn't gotten better since I was a kid. I had a very traumatic experience getting my vaccinations before Kinder as a child and it has stayed with me. I tell them for the IVs I'm my very scared of needles and I need someone who can get it done the first time. I also ask to lay down when drawing blood, I always go to the kiddie room LOL

My NT scan is right before I'm 14 weeks, it's within the right span of dates. We still do the genetic testing even though it would not effect our choice to go through with a pregnancy. I think knowing *if* there is going to be a challenge it's good to know up front and prepare yourself. Since this is my 4th kid...I'm over painting nurseries LOL! I've got boy and girl stuff so I won't be going to buy anything new, I just really want to know and I know at that point if they say girl I still have a chance for other parts to appear by the anatomy scan! Haha

• @ginger1228 I'd check with your OB/midwife/hospital to see what their policy is. My midwives do highly recommend putting the IV in right away, but they don't connect it to anything so you are free to walk around labor in the tub, etc. But at least it's already in so if there is an emergency (or you want meds) they don't have to mess around with it in the moment.

I must be the only crazy here who doesn't mind needles at all. I never have, even as a little kid. I'll never forget one day I was donating blood and the phlebotomist was having trouble. I told her "it's ok, feel free to pull the needle out and start again." I thought the guy next to me was going to pass out just hearing that. Maybe I should have been a nurse...
    Me: 30 DH: 30
    Dating: 12/21/2001
    Married: 09/08/2012
    TTC: 09/2016
    BFP: 11/16/2016 EDD: 07/27/2017
    Baby Fish born: 08/01/2017

• Me too @RunRestRepeat. Between donating blood, progesterone injections, hypothyroid and 8000 vaccines, I think I've developed needle immunity.  

Though my worst was when the tech at the armed Cross had to replace the needle 6 times during a single donation because of shoddy placement.  I had a mega bruise.
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I oddly don't mind giving blood (or having blood drawb) but am terrified of shots and having an IV put in. Totally reasonable fear lol 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Reading this thread makes me lightheaded! Blacklisting this one, and wishing my fellow needle phobes all the best!!!
  • This is why I'm a vet tech. I can do an iv, blood draw for animals but never people. I'm a total baby when it comes to needles, I can't look, I get light headed, I just hate being poked. My nurses this time have been amazing at drawing blood! I have lots of respect for nurses, but I'll stick with animals.
  • So I had my NT scan today, and then the did the regular pregnancy blood draw.  She just kept pulling vials and vials and vials out of the drawer.  There were like a dozen (ok, maybe 8 idk), I swear!  I was like, OMG this is going to take forever.  She was so good, though....3 minutes, tops.
  • @chiquita928 I don't know how you did that. For my blood draw there were 4 and I was having a cow over how many there were. I couldn't watch the blood come out, and I just stared at my husband the whole time. You're a super hero. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • @RunRestRepeat , same here, I don't mind needles at all, either. When they took four vials for my NIPT, I was fascinated by how fast they were filling up, lol. 
  • supermom83supermom83 member
    edited January 2017
    I have really difficult veins I guess, and always get repeatedly poked and usually they have to try in both arms and then go back again to the first arm and try again. When I got my blood drawn for the NIPT, she stuck me 3 times (twice on the left, once on the right) before she was able to hit a vein. I felt bad for the nurse, she was so nervous and so apologetic and was sweating bullets. I felt badly for her, which I found surprising because I'm in a phase where I hate most people, but for some reason I just felt sorry for her. Thankfully I am totally fine with my blood being drawn and look each time. I kept reassuring the nurse and trying to make her feel better lol She's lucky she wasn't included in my "I hate all people" mood that day! 

Edit to add: The record I have for most attempts was 8!!! Three different nurses stuck me 8 times in both arms before finally resorting to my hand which hurt like HECK! 
  • @satsumasandlemons I was the same way last time they drew my blood! He must have gotten a good vein because those tubes filled up so fast I could actually hear the blood pouring in (too vivid?)
    TTC history in spoiler
    Me: 31 Him: 37
    Married: Oct 2015
    Baby G born June 2017
    TTC#2: July 2018
    BFP #2: 2/6/19 MC 3/14/19
    BFP#3 from IUI #2: 6/30/20 EDD 3/9/21

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• OMG if I could hear it going in, I would have passed out.  She must have gotten a good vein...first shot.  I don't know how she filled them so fast.  I almost didn't believe that each time she moved she was changing vials, but sure enough, that what it was.  She was a rockstar!
  • I had my NT scan today, and we could see the penis. It may have been that it's a girl and she was swollen, but the tech basically said it in a way that was "yeah that's probably a boy but I can't say for sure". So it seems to be possible to be able to tell. We'll know for sure at the anatomy scan! Baby measures 12, 4 but I'm at 13, 1. They aren't changing the due date though. Also just found out all the blood they took wasn't the genetic screening, so I have to get more of that done. I'll have to give them the other arm because my left one is still bruised from last weeks debacle. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • IVs and blood draws. I really do hate them but I feel like I've gotten used to them. When I was in Germany..they literally blew out all he veins in my hands and arms. To this day it's still extremely hard to get blood! My last labor they put the IV on the bottom of my wrist. It sucked so bad, worst place ever. 
  • I had mine at 13w3d and you could definitely tell it is a boy.  Also, by size he is 13w6d but was under the 84mm (he's 79mm) that he needed to be under for the test. 
  • Now I'm just thinking instead of paying for the gender blood test I could've just waited another week! @mrsdrmatney @kerils il be 12 weeks in two days and probably get my results in a week? (13th week?) are these abdomen scans or transvaginal. 
  • mrsdrmatneymrsdrmatney member
    edited January 2017
    zara4k said:
    Now I'm just thinking instead of paying for the gender blood test I could've just waited another week! @mrsdrmatney @kerils il be 12 weeks in two days and probably get my results in a week? (13th week?) are these abdomen scans or transvaginal. 
    Abdominal scan they told me transvaginal scans weren't good for this test and I am too far along. I was scheduled for a 30 minute consult and they were able to do the scan and bloodwork for the first trimester screenings... 3 hours later I was finally done.

edit: I had this done with my MFM and they have better U/S than radiology because they are high def.
  • We got to my NT appt super early because of the snow and I thought the roads would be worse. The lights were off and no one was even here....

FFFC: I get so nervous before any US that I always nervous fart. I should've waited longer in the car. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • @zara4k it was an abdomen scan, I don't think they do transvaginal this late. It's also worth noting that she couldn't tell me for sure one way or the other because of how early it is, and if it's a girl you really won't have much confirmation. We only had the probably because he's a boy and he was, well, a little too large to just be swollen girl parts. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • Thanks you two, I never got a transvaginal scan so I don't know much about them! Il just wait fingers crossed !!!
  • I was told I would get a tranvaginal scan at 24 weeks. So no its not to late to do one. With my old OB I NEVER had one, but that was also in Louisiana and I'm in Texas now. Every OB is different, just like pediatricians.
  • @zara4k Short rundown on transvaginal scans (I've actually had a fair number of them) They put a wand that is vaguely penile shaped inside of you and wiggle it around slightly to get the picture they want. They normally put a sheath of some sort on it (my CRPN always had actual Trojans) and they use a lot of gel. It doesn't hurt, it only really gets uncomfortable if they have to drag it really far to one side or the other. Also, I have super sensitive skin, but the gel they use has never bothered me. Sorry if that was too much info, just figured it might help to know what they do. The first time I got one I saw the wand and kind of freaked out, not because they're super large, just because I didn't know what I was walking in on. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • kerils said:
    @zara4k Short rundown on transvaginal scans (I've actually had a fair number of them) They put a wand that is vaguely penile shaped inside of you and wiggle it around slightly to get the picture they want. They normally put a sheath of some sort on it (my CRPN always had actual Trojans) and they use a lot of gel. It doesn't hurt, it only really gets uncomfortable if they have to drag it really far to one side or the other. Also, I have super sensitive skin, but the gel they use has never bothered me. Sorry if that was too much info, just figured it might help to know what they do. The first time I got one I saw the wand and kind of freaked out, not because they're super large, just because I didn't know what I was walking in on. 
    Ugh The wand is big dildo size.  And it is horrible the further along in your pregnancy you are because of all the swelling and the moving around of stuff. No thank you.  Some techs will let you guide it in and you can always request to do so if it makes you uncomfortable.
  • kerils said:
    @zara4k Short rundown on transvaginal scans (I've actually had a fair number of them) They put a wand that is vaguely penile shaped inside of you and wiggle it around slightly to get the picture they want. They normally put a sheath of some sort on it (my CRPN always had actual Trojans) and they use a lot of gel. It doesn't hurt, it only really gets uncomfortable if they have to drag it really far to one side or the other. Also, I have super sensitive skin, but the gel they use has never bothered me. Sorry if that was too much info, just figured it might help to know what they do. The first time I got one I saw the wand and kind of freaked out, not because they're super large, just because I didn't know what I was walking in on. 
    Ugh The wand is big dildo size.  And it is horrible the further along in your pregnancy you are because of all the swelling and the moving around of stuff. No thank you.  Some techs will let you guide it in and you can always request to do so if it makes you uncomfortable.
    I was blindsided as a FTM last pregnancy...for what I thought would be the sweet stomach untrasound! I ended up being naked from the waste down and it wasn't that 'sweet' moment you see in your mind. LOL That being said, it wasn't bad since I was so early last time. It's really skinny, doesn't hurt and was more awkward than anything. As a STM I'm now ready for anything when I walk in the doctors doors. 
  • zara4kzara4k member
    edited January 2017
    Haha thanks, I refused the transvaginal and my doctor got a little annoyed with me and she said there was a chance not to see the baby abdominally and I said that's fine and she got even more annoyed. Whoops. 
    We should always ask about our choices, and alternatives politely. It's hard enough getting the right thing up there for me I really don't want an ultrasound dildo covered in goop inside me. Nope. 

I saw the baby perfectly fine via abdomen ultrasound. 
  • XathXath member
    edited January 2017
    You may also get transvaginal ultrasounds down the line if they need to check your cervical length.  

Edited because DYAC
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
  • @Xath ugh thanks for breaking that to me :neutral:
  • We had our NT scan today at 12 weeks 5 days. I have to go to a perinatologist so their equipment is amazing!!!! I even saw little one dancing around in 3D. They asked if we wanted to know and of course I do so they took a little look and we are having a little girl!!!!! She said it is early but she went through what we would be seeing if it was a boy and what we would see if it was a girl. Clearly NOT a boy<3 
    ME 37 + DH 40
    Tried to conceive first baby over a year. 
    October 2015: Began IVF <3
    November 2015: 15 Eggs Retrieved, 10 Viable, 8 Fertilized through ICSI, 4 6 Day Blastocysts Made It To Freeze!!!!
    December 2015: FET #1 Transferred 1 6 Day Blastocyst BFN :(
    January 2016: FET #2 Transferred 2 6 Day Blastocyst BFP!!!!!
    February 19, 2016: Officially lost our little blueberry through natural miscarriage. 
    July 17, 2016: FET #3 Transferred 1 6 Day Blastocyst BFP!!!!!
    August 2016: Officially lost our little bean through natural miscarriage. 

!!!!!!SURPRISE!!!!!!
    Natural pregnancy October 2016!!!!!
    Our Miracle Rainbow Baby
    Due Date July 20, 2017

http://danica-thethingstheydonttellyou.blogspot.com/
  • hi ladies got this ultrasound done at 12 weeks 2 days and the tech said the nub looked very much like a girl. We're really hoping so :) what do you think? 
  • LmBahr said:
    hi ladies got this ultrasound done at 12 weeks 2 days and the tech said the nub looked very much like a girl. We're really hoping so :) what do you think? 
    Swing and a miss!
  • @LmBahr It looks like a spoon??
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • edited January 2017
    seriously. I just can't with these any more. go away. 
  • ashaw512 ashaw512 member
    edited January 2017
    Removed for TOU violation
  • Do people NOT read prior posts?!?

and WHY show internet strangers your kiddos bits and parts?!?
    married 7.18.12   DS1 4.29.13   EDD 11.23.14

my happy boy

• TwinkiedollTwinkiedoll member
    edited January 2017
    I had to double-check to see if @yellow1daisy was messing with us again. Haha
  • @Rae1 careful, you'll get a warning for telling someone "they can't access tb".
  • Help!! We're being invaded by a bunch of sex-questioning randos!