3rd Trimester

Chiropractor - Webster technique-Screwed up my back/pelvis - Lakewood ranch, FL

LouddogLouddog member
edited November 2015 in 3rd Trimester
Hi all,
I'm so upset.  At 37weeks I went to this chiropractor to get my pelvis well aligned in hopes that it would help when I go into labor. Prior to going I had some very minor sciatic pain occasionally but other than that I felt fine.  I could walk pain free.  She is Webster technique certified.  Her thermal assessment only showed a misalignment in my C6.  She used some torque tool to adjust that and adjust the left side of my sacrum and then she loosened my left round ligament.  By the Tuesday I had severe pain in my right iliac/sacrum area.   By Wednesday, I could hardly walk.  Five days later, and It's still incredibly painful to walk. My most comfortable mode of transport now is crawling on my hands and knees!  

To make matters worse, my baby had been low in my belly with the head in my pelvis and now she is floating up by my ribs.  I want very badly to have a vaginal birth and this is an important time for me to be walking to help the baby engage and progress.  Plus, I have a 17 month old to care for and if I'm not better by Monday, my husband will have to take off from work!

I can't believe this has happened and don't know what to do.  Find another chiropractor and get another adjustment?  Or could that just further injure the area.  I'm wondering if this chiropractor actually misaligned my pelvis and uterus and this is going to prevent the baby from engaging if its not fixed.  Anyone else have this happen to them?

Re: Chiropractor - Webster technique-Screwed up my back/pelvis - Lakewood ranch, FL

• I would call your chiro and your OB to discuss this. They are probably the only ones who can give you a good answer.
    Also, do you know for a fact she not still head in pelvis?
    I know my baby has her head against my cervix because I have weekly ultrasounds but I often feel some kicks in my ribs when I'm sitting down.
  • Loading the player...
  • You don't understand. There's no way is the pain I'm experiencing post-"adjustment" from the baby being aligned. Every time I put any weight on my right foot i feel pain near my right SI joint. The pain is located where she used her torque tool adjust me. And every time I try to walk on the right there is a popping sensation/sound occurring near that joint. I've never had that before in my life. I had very little and occasional sciatic pain prior to the adjustment. i walked pain free. Now I'm in incredible pain. Between feeling the position and location of baby and listening to the location of her heart tones, and no longer having to pee frequently, I can tell her head is no longer in my pelvis.

From 35 weeks till the day I was adjusted my baby was very low in my belly, even the chiropractor commented on how low she was. I had to pee very frequently and felt like ball was in my vagina.

It feels now like her head is just sitting on the brim of my pelvis and not going in....And this is not due to cephalo-pelvic disproportion; her head was previously in and I've already vaginally birthed before and have a "proven" pelvis.

At this point I'm going to try and get a copy of my medical record from this chiropractor and bring it to another chiropractor, orthopedic, or PT to see if they can in-screw up what this woman did to me.

At this point I'm a believer in "if it ain't broke don't fix it"....or try to perfect it.
  • To top it off, I think this chiropractor lied about her experience.  She told me she had 4 YEARS experience.  The just opened a new practice in Lakewood ranch a few WEEKS ago.  When I googled her and her husband, I saw in Linkedln that her husband has been a Chiropractor since "2015-Present" !!!  It sounds like the met in school, so I'm guessing the same is true for her.   

Unbelievable!   I can't believe I went to them.  I am so sorry.  Its been 6 days since her "adjustment" and I'm still in incredible pain. Every time I try to walk or squat, I hear a popping noise coming from my right hip.
  • Has anyone every had a bad experience like this?  Did more adjustments from another chiropractor make is worse or better?   I'm wondering if PT alone would be best or if it won't help at all if something is out of place.
  • I bet chiropractor warned you about possible risks and complications of the adjustments, you should have signed a consent form. If not- it is a problem and you can file a complaint. She may or may not have an experience - it is not criminal at all. She should have a license to practice, that is it
    What you feel right now is pain from the nerve which is pinched or swollen and you should have called a chiropractor first, because it is a complication of the adjustment. At this point I would go to the hospital, because the usual drugs used to help in those situations are contraindicated in pregnancy and further adjustments on the inflamed nerves usually are not recommended. You may want to call a osteopath to ask if they can help you - they have more training and do not use any strong movements/adjustments. My osteopath told me to use a pose on my side trying to pull my knees to my chest slowly for a few minutes to relieve back pain. Not sure you can do it now, considering the size of the belly. 

• Thanks for your replies. 

No, this chiropractor did NOT explain any risks associated with the adjustments.  My baby was head down and she performed the Webster technique with her torque tool.  The only thing I knew about the Webster technique was that its performed on pregnant women to promote balance in the uterus.  

I already saw my OB last week - the day after I was adjusted.  She assessed the baby's heart tones and believes my baby is ok - just high in my belly again possibly due to a misaligned pelvis. She was concerned by the amount of pain I was in from the adjustment and said to call her if it doesn't get better.  Her suggestion was a different chiropractor or acupuncture.  Honestly, I don't think my OB really knows how to best treat a pelvic injury.  

Thanks for the osteopath suggestion.  I look into that route.  

I'm frustrated by her lack of experience because she lead me to believe she'd been practicing for 4 years when she told me she had "4 years experience."  Schooling does not count as experience.  I would have never gong to her if I had known.  In fact the supposed 4 years experience was why I chose to go to her over another chiropractor in the area who was honest and said she graduated school 2 years ago.
  • Perhaps chalk it up to a lesson learned to do more research next time? If your OB thinks everything is fine, what do you want our community to do? I think we all agree that that situation is not something any of us would like to deal with, but what good does dwelling on the past do? You can't change the decision you made to go there, so perhaps you should use that energy to fix the problem or move on. Unless you are going to try to file a malpractice suit, which I can't imagine you'd want to do while pregnant. There is an inherent risk every time you visit a provider like that. You knew there was some sort of risk, just like there is for every medical procedure, but you probably decided (like most of us do) that the benefits outweighed the risks. I know you are mad, but now that you have gotten it all out of your system, isn't it time to move on to fix the problem?
  • Fwiw, proper chiropractic adjustments can leave you sore and cause pain after as well. If you had anything out of place for a significant time your muscles adjust to the new (and improper) position. Moving them back into place means the muscles have to readjust to the new (and proper) positioning. I have no way of knowing whether your chiropractor helped or go hurt but I suggest contacting her and telling her the issues you are having.
    DS1: 8/3/10, DD1: 8/17/13, DD2: 8/13/15
    Twins lost to due to partial molar pregnancy: September 2011 
    ~~PAL, PgAL Always Welcome~~
  • There is no cause for a malpractice suit, even if there is no signed consent form. You would never be able to prove, that you have not been explained risks of the procedure. Like I said before, you may file a complaint with regulating body. Suing takes years and a lot of money, like a good car "lot" 
    Just an example. I was treating my migraines with acupuncture. They got a bit better and later a lot worse. I expected to get better, a lot of people did, but my body reacted differently. Acupuncturist did nothing wrong, just what helps majority of people
    Ask your doctor if it is OK for you to use heating pads, the ones sold in many places. They look like paper and stick to your skin and then slowly heat up and stay worm for a few hour. I forgot the name, they are usually in a red box and called something terma...
    Anyway, I should not give anymore advise like that. Consult your doctor
  • Honestly, and of course this is just my opinion, I don't think you seem to understand that all of that is part of the end of pregnancy. You can't assume you will feel the same after an adjustment. Also your baby can move when it decides to. You can't hold that against someone who was only doing what you asked them to do. Babies move when they want to. That's just a fact of being pregnant.
    If you are that uncomfortable, maybe your OB needs to be doing more for you. Your body is going through a lot of changes at the moment and just because it's not the same as everyone else's doesn't mean it's wrong. You already stated you had siatic nerve issues so to me, there's too much you aren't taking into consideration. If you are in that much pain, you need to see your OB over it period.
  • Please see a medical doctor, not another chiropractor who may or may not be able to help you.
  • Louddog said:

You don't understand. There's no way is the pain I'm experiencing post-"adjustment" from the baby being aligned. Every time I put any weight on my right foot i feel pain near my right SI joint. The pain is located where she used her torque tool adjust me. And every time I try to walk on the right there is a popping sensation/sound occurring near that joint. I've never had that before in my life. I had very little and occasional sciatic pain prior to the adjustment. i walked pain free. Now I'm in incredible pain. Between feeling the position and location of baby and listening to the location of her heart tones, and no longer having to pee frequently, I can tell her head is no longer in my pelvis.

From 35 weeks till the day I was adjusted my baby was very low in my belly, even the chiropractor commented on how low she was. I had to pee very frequently and felt like ball was in my vagina.

It feels now like her head is just sitting on the brim of my pelvis and not going in....And this is not due to cephalo-pelvic disproportion; her head was previously in and I've already vaginally birthed before and have a "proven" pelvis.

At this point I'm going to try and get a copy of my medical record from this chiropractor and bring it to another chiropractor, orthopedic, or PT to see if they can in-screw up what this woman did to me.

At this point I'm a believer in "if it ain't broke don't fix it"....or try to perfect it.

It isn't very polite to start out by saying "you don't understand." I heard ya loud and clear. Sounds like you're 9 months pregnant to me. Nothing I haven't experienced with each of my 3 pregnancies, earlier in the pregnancy each time, and before and after undergoing Webster at the Chiropractor.

Sorry she misled you about her experience, though. That's quite unprofessional.
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I have had the Webster technique performed 4 times now. Sometimes it leaves me sore a little (not as you are describing)
    I would tend to agree with pp- you can't prove she caused your pain- even if it is located in the same area she treated- she could simply say she treated that area because she recognized a problem there, and then sure enough there was one.
    I'm sorry you are in pain but there is nothing you can do except go to the doctor- I have personally had very severe pelvic instability and I also strongly recomend staying off your feet as much as humanly possible.
    Good luck.
  • I have had serious issues with chiropractic adjustments and I am now completely against them especially during pregnancy. Last time I was adjusted, two days later I was in so much pain I couldn't walk for three weeks. I am just now feeling better, only because I ditched the chiro and went to PT instead.  This wasn't the first time I had a bad reaction to an adjustment but I didn't learn my lesson, just figured it could have been a coincidence but now I am convinced it was the chiro adjustments. Honestly, I will never recommend anyone I know to go to a chiro, PT all the way. After my last incident, within one week of a PT visit I was already feeling better. Three weeks and I could walk again with no issues.  When I saw my OBGYN when I couldn't walk, she immediately consulted with PT and got me a referral and an appointment with PT the very next day. I am so sorry you are having these issues, especially so close to your due date. I really hope you get it figured out. I was panicking because I was so scared I would have to deliver in that extreme pain, not even being able to walk. Good luck to you!  Hoping for a speedy recovery!

Pregnancy Ticker

Happy Birthday Month to Me!

• alanna3622alanna3622 member
    edited December 2015
    Lawyer here. You absolutely can sue a chiropractor on these facts, if the treatment caused permanent neurological damage. Chiropractors have the highest rate of medical malpractice claims of all of the paramedical professions. In some places (eg British Columbia) there is even legislation to prohibit chiros from adopting the "Dr." honorific, because it is so incredibly misleading to people. The laws on waivers vary greatly between jurisdictions and there are certainly limits to what a waiver can waive (that is awkward phrasing but hopefully you get my meaing). Also any explanation of risks must be *informed* consent, which can be evaluated by a medmal lawyer. The chiropractor making misleading statements about their level of experience is absolutely appalling if correct and should be reported to their regulatory body. If consulting a lawyer, keep in mind that a lawyer who claims to practice medmal in addition to other areas is usually a sign that they are not specialized enough.

Not that OP is looking to sue. I just saw some comments that made me raise my eyebrows and figured I would jump in.

I would tell your OB what has happened and she can direct you to either physiotherapy (I totally echo the PP who said "physio all the way") or an orthopedic evaluation.

I loathe the chiropractic profession because of its quack science and what I have seen chiropractors do. I know that the vast majority provides relief to people who are uncomfortable, but there is simply no comparison between the risks of chiropractic treatment and the risks of more conservative (and scientifically sound) treatments like physiotherapy and massage. Sorry to rant. /threadjack

Good luck to you OP. Hope your OBGYN can help send you in the right direction.
  • Why don't you tell us what the price of this kind of lawsuit would be and how long it would take. I bet no less then 50K and the kid would be in school by the end of it. It is also very difficult to prove a permanent injury, especially if there were preexisting conditions. Even if the lawyer says, that he/she would not charge you till the end of the process, there is still the risk of loosing the suit and having to pay thousands of dollars in fees and expenses out of pocket. The chiropractor might not produce a written signed consent, but there could be a note about consent given in a chart, which is a legal document as well. Please disclose all the risks of the lawsuit, otherwise you are doing the same thing as this chiropractor
  • alanna3622alanna3622 member
    edited December 2015
    @LIly436 it seems like you have a little knowledge. You should know then that it depends. I know of cases that have settled on the basis of a demand letter, or on the eve of trial. The fee arrangement for medmal is usually contingency (where the lawyer collects a fee only based on a percentage of what you recover, and gets nothing if you get nothing) but only if damages are permanent and serious enough. And yes, all lawsuits ask the unsuccessful party to bear "court costs" and disbursements, if the matter proceeds to trial -- in medmal as well as other litigation matters such as family law.

I am not trying to convince OP to sue or that suing would be fast/easy/simple. I was surprised someone would say that "there is no cause for a medmal suit" and she would "never" be able to prove causation, as you did. I am letting OP know that based on her facts that a lawsuit is certainly an option to explore with a lawyer if her damage is permanent. This woman is crawling on her hands and knees for goodness sakes.

• Op it sounds like your SI joint is inflamed. This can happen during pregnancy or from an abrupt moment or change (the adjustment). Stay off your feet, take an antiinflamitory medicine and ice the area.

Chiro sounds inexperienced and like they were too rough. Have your OB give you a prescription for PT if you can and that will slowly and gently get things right again.
  • My understanding was that the Webster technique did not have any negative side effects and was very safe for baby and mom. I never said anything about a lawsuit...but I would say this woman has met the definition of malpractice when she causes a serious injury that did not pre-exist! I think this girl completely misaligned me. This is not normal pregnancy pain! This is not my first pregnancy or first experience with a chiropractor. And it is dishonest and misleading advertisement for a medical professional to tell a patient they have 4 years experience when they don't!

Part of the reason i started this post was to warn others that the webster technique can seriously harm a pregnant woman. Hopefully it won't happen to others. I'd love to just "move on" but it's a bit hard when you can't walk. I have a 17month old for whom I can't care for by myself now. My husband is having to take off from work as a result, we are now incurring the extra cost and time of more doctors/PT care to try to fix this, and Im just praying it doesn't ultimately result in a c-section.

lm disappointed that others would lack compassion and have attitude to "just move on." I'm sure if this was happening to you and your family, you wouldn't feel that way.

I appreciate the productive suggestions from others.
  • Hi all,
    Just wanted to give an update on my condition and warn other women of the dangers of a chiropractor.  

The injury I sustained from the webster technique turned out to be very serious.  I've been told by doctors the over adjustment she made on my sacrum overstretched the ligaments and caused severe pelvic instability.  It appears also to have fractured my L5 vertebrae and led to spinal instability.  Its also affecting my right hip joint.  I now have chronic SI Joint dysfunction and Spondylolisthesis.  My L5 vertebrae is slipping forward on my sacrum.  According to my MRI, it has severely narrowed the canal through which the nerves run through which explains the tingling I've had in my legs.  Once a vertebrae slips far enough you can become paralyzed.  The only fix for this problem is major lumbar spine surgery that has a very high failure rate. Having a pelvic torsion, as I do now thanks to the injury, further unstablizes the spondy that I also have thanks to the injury, and causes further deteriation....and could also cause problems post-surgery.  Some people can live years with a minimal slip but if the slip is unstable or causes major pain or neurological symptoms, it requires major surgery.  

My delivery and postpartum period was very painful.  My acute pain wasn't taken seriously by my doctor I guess because I was pregnant and post-partum. (Kinda like how I wasn't taken seriously by some many women here when I first posted.)  It has decreased to mild pain, but it never stops. It keeps me up at night.  I have a 2yr old and baby that I've had to care for during the day. It is very sad that I can't hold my baby for any extended period unless I'm sitting.  I can't play with them very well because of the pain. I am very scared about my condition at this point.

Today I was told that I should not get pregnant again.  My husband and I wanted very badly to have more children so this news is very depressing.  But the reality is that I am struggling to take care of the two I have and I don't know how I could possible do that while carrying another. 

Just wanted to post this to warn other women.  I had the impression that the Webster Technique was safe and very gentle. When I went to the chiropractor, I wasn't in pain.  My baby was head down but posterior, so I really didn't need to have the technique done. I just figured it might help.  I never would have had that procedure done if I know the risks.  AND NO, she did not tell me the risks.  In fact, the document I signed described chiropractic care as gentle and safe.  There was no mention on risks on that document.

I'm really in shock at this point.
  • Oh....and just to point out what a scumbag this chiropractor is.....she FALSIFIED MY MEDICAL RECORD. 

When I asked for my record I did so because I thought it would help the doctor know exactly what adjustment she made and help them figure out the injury.   She refused to give me my medical record until I told her what was wrong.  I made the mistake of telling her that my sacrum, hip, and lower back were so painful I couldn't walk.  She then documented in my record that I said I had that pain prior to her adjustment.  She also documented that I had swelling in those areas prior to her treatment.  Her documentation was so sloppy that the states cervical and thoracic adjustments on me that she didn't make.   The only proof I have that I was in good alignment prior to her adjustment is the thermal scan done in her office.  Her assistant had given me a copy.  Conveniently when I asked for my medical record that was not included in the documents the chiropractor sent.

• I'm also wondering if the torque release tool she used on me for the webster technique is even approved for that use.  The certification board told me they teach chiropractors to use the drop down tables.  With my first child, that is what the chiropractor used and I had not problems or pain afterwards.
  • Thank you for this post, and subsequent updates. A doula recommended I see a chiropractor certified in the Webster technique for round ligament pain that I've been having everyday for the past few weeks. I thought it strange that my OB hadn't heard about it (she said that chiropractors can typically only help with back pain during pregnancy) and thought to Google for the risks. Your post came up and after reading it, there's no way I am going to see a chiropractor now. I can live with round ligament spasms for a few more weeks but I cannot imagine going through what you have gone through. Hope you are feeling better now, just wanted to reach out and say your post is much appreciated! Thank you!