New Jersey Babies

How Important is it for a Birth Plan to be Written (Riverview Medical is delivering hospital)?

Howdy

Having our firstborn in October and as a teacher I'm trying to use my summer to get everything done so come September I'm not crushed dealing with this and work. I want to have a natural birth without interventions, some freedom to sort of determine how I'm feeling in the moment (I don't just want to be strapped to a bed and rammed with IVs if I don't need them) but be allowed to add in pain meds (etc) as I feel I need them. I've had a completely healthy pregnancy, I'm young, low-risk...there's really no need for interventions to be put in from the get-go.

I have heard bad things about Riverview Medicals intervention rate and given I was finishing my MA and working straight through the second trimester I was so busy that I didn't get to research anything until now....and I'm not into changing OBGYNs at the last second. 

How important is it for me to have a written birth plan? Does it increase my odds of a hospital like Riverview with a high intervention rate respecting my wishes?

Thanks for any input! 
 <3 Married since 10/10/15 <3
<3 Little Girl due 10/10/16 <3

Best Answer

Re: How Important is it for a Birth Plan to be Written (Riverview Medical is delivering hospital)?

• I'm following this thread. I'm also due in October at riverview! 
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm not sure about the IVs. But I think most of the decisions will be a discussion with you anyway, like the epidural, whether or not to do a c-section if it's taking longer, etc. Is that what you mean?
  • Lizbeth86 said:
    I'm not sure about the IVs. But I think most of the decisions will be a discussion with you anyway, like the epidural, whether or not to do a c-section if it's taking longer, etc. Is that what you mean?
    Yeah...I'm not super crunchy granola but I know myself and I get fidgety-- I'd like the freedom to walk around if I need it, I don't want an episiotomy or epidural or C section and Riverview gives about 1/3 of their new moms C sections (can't imagine there are actually that many emergencies). I'd like to not have someone pressuring me into medical birth unless there is an actual emergency (and there are no warning signs).

I met with a friend who has been a doula for 12 years and she said it's possible at Riverview but a huge fight, basically they use a lot of fear tactics ("the baby is big" "this seems to be taking a while" "we don't want the baby to get distressed") to get moms towards a C section birth (let's face it-- a doctor or nurse tells you any of those things you basically are like "Whatever, save the baby"-- baby's not actually in danger, but you just don't want to take that chance)

I just didn't know if anyone had tried to do that through Riverview and could tell me first hand what they went through? I don't know if it's worth switching hospitals and doctors.
  • mrszoess said:
    I'm following this thread. I'm also due in October at riverview! 
    AND you use the same OB! Surprised we haven't run into each other in the waiting room! Maybe in October ;)
  • haha I have only been going to the Atlantic highlands office. it's more convenient for my commute ;) 
  • Lizbeth86 said:
    Ok I didn't deliver at Riverview but my hospital's c-section rate is even higher than Riverview's. And your friend is right, i feel like she is quoting my doctor! (Baby is big, this should be going faster, we can give it more time but in my experience you still won't be dilated enough and baby might be in distress...) In our case I don't think a birth plan would have made a difference. We told our dr so many times that we wanted to avoid a c-section and he "agreed" that vaginal was the first preference, but then he acted like in our situation a c-section was a better idea. We pushed back and waited longer, and I delivered vaginally. I think your awareness is your best tool to stand up for what you want. If they pressure you, ask them directly what the risk is now, not what it could be if... (if you wait longer, etc) oh and my dr did an episiotomy without asking me, so you should discuss that ahead of time. I didn't bc I wasn't aware they might do it unnecessarily, and I knew my baby was big so I might need it. I didn't know he wouldn't ask me first though. Also, you basically sign your rights away beforehand and give them permission to do any intervention they think is necessary. So I feel like that overrides any birth plan anyway. Hope this helps!
    Interesting to know you weren't consulted on the epi.....I guess that's where a doula or me or my husband would have to be vocal and watching. I'm glad to hear you got your natural birth....we obviously don't know how big our baby is yet but if our genes are any indication quite big (dad was 24inches and 11lbs, I was 5.5lbs and 19inches 5 weeks early) and I don't want to be handed a series of interventions because it's more convenient for the hospital. Which is really what is it, they'd prefer all births be c-section so it's timed, planned and easy to schedule.
  • Good luck with everything. I should also mention that i was induced at 39w because the dr said the baby was going to be too big to deliver vaginally if we waited. (At my appt at 38w5d the u/s estimated the baby's weight to be 9lb 9oz.) Of course dr recommended a c-section but when we said no he said the alternative is to induce @39w before baby gets too big. (Baby was 8lb 6oz at birth, by the way.) Then as I mentioned he still wanted to do a c-section later on.

I am really curious to see, if your baby is estimated to be that big, whether they would let you wait it out and deliver naturally. I felt like that wasn't an option but I'm not sure.
  • Lizbeth86 said:
    Good luck with everything. I should also mention that i was induced at 39w because the dr said the baby was going to be too big to deliver vaginally if we waited. (At my appt at 38w5d the u/s estimated the baby's weight to be 9lb 9oz.) Of course dr recommended a c-section but when we said no he said the alternative is to induce @39w before baby gets too big. (Baby was 8lb 6oz at birth, by the way.) Then as I mentioned he still wanted to do a c-section later on.

I am really curious to see, if your baby is estimated to be that big, whether they would let you wait it out and deliver naturally. I felt like that wasn't an option but I'm not sure.

That seems to be a major line that is run-- "Baby is big you will have trouble". When I talked with doulas (and my other friend talked to her midwives about it) both advocate that big babies are more than capable of being born naturally even by small mothers. However doctor's who tell you your baby will be big are pressing on a mother (especially a first time mother's) fear of pain in childbirth (big babies must hurt more)

I'm anxious to get readings on how big the baby is as they kept moving up my due date but I'm at the ceiling of biological possibility for her so she must keep reading large for them to keep thinking she's further along. But I guess we don't get a third trimester ultrasound unless they have concerns? So I don't know how they will guestimate her weight.
  • Wasn't able to read the rest, but the important thing is to ask you dr what their specific c-section rate is. My dr actually knew his because he's pretty meticulous. I felt absolutely no pressure for a csection or the use of pitocin. It's really all about your individual dr. 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • I'm due with #3 (I live in northern NJ though). Just wanted to encourage you- my first was 8 lbs 12 oz and a hand presentation, my second was 10 lbs 2 oz and born sunny side up. Both difficult deliveries, un-medicated (my choice). 

I used midwives of NJ- they are awesome and fight for natural birth if that's what you want! They would be far for you, but lots of moms travel far to use them. They deliver out of Morristown, NJ. 

I think you are capable of delivering your baby the way you want- you will find you have to be your own advocate. 
    With my first I was having similar feelings and ended up changing from an ob practice to midwifery in the third trimester. Don't be afraid to do it if you feel strongly about your preferences. You have plenty of time to switch- esp since you have had a smooth pregnancy. 

Good luck! Trust your instincts and your delivery will be fine- it never goes as planned, but it will be a happy day regardless!! 
  • One more thing-
    in case you are wondering, I'm not a huge person! I'm 5'6" and 125 lbs pre pregnancy. So I had big babies naturally even though I don't look like someone who could birth a 10 lb er! I would be Leary of any medical provider that estimates a large baby and wants to do surgery. 
  • Hi there, following this thread so I can be informed. Delivering at Riverview next summer.