Trouble TTC
Options

IVF Baby #1 - TTC Baby #2

After more than a year of TTC (trying to conceive) baby #1, and one miscarriage we went through IVF (in vitro fertilization) to conceive by now 19 month old son. I had been diagnosed with unexplained infertility. My husband and I have been now TTC (trying to conceive) baby #2 per recommendation from my OB/GYN. I had the idea that around 6 months of TTC (trying to conceive) we would go to back to our fertility doctor but I am hoping we can get pregnant naturally or with some mild intervention. We are going to see my OB/GYN tomorrow for some further recommendations or testing since we are in our 6 month of TTC.

While I realize its been only 6 months, I am now 35 as of November, and I have a 1 1/2 year old. Strangely the concern this time around hasn't been will and when will I get pregnant, its more so just when. I am so focused on the timing between two children, that I have let that stress me out more so that just trying to get pregnant in the first place.

Curious to hear stories of TTC (trying to conceive) baby #2 after fertility treatment for first, especially those with unexplained infertility. What makes sense as a good timing to see our fertility doctor again? Should we go at 6 months TTC, or wait it out a little longer? Having kids 2-3-4 years apart.. doesn't it really matter as long as there is another kid?

Re: IVF Baby #1 - TTC Baby #2

• Options
    tag117 said:

After more than a year of TTC (trying to conceive) baby #1, and one miscarriage we went through IVF (in vitro fertilization) to conceive by now 19 month old son. I had been diagnosed with unexplained infertility. My husband and I have been now TTC (trying to conceive) baby #2 per recommendation from my OB/GYN. I had the idea that around 6 months of TTC (trying to conceive) we would go to back to our fertility doctor but I am hoping we can get pregnant naturally or with some mild intervention. We are going to see my OB/GYN tomorrow for some further recommendations or testing since we are in our 6 month of TTC.

While I realize its been only 6 months, I am now 35 as of November, and I have a 1 1/2 year old. Strangely the concern this time around hasn't been will and when will I get pregnant, its more so just when. I am so focused on the timing between two children, that I have let that stress me out more so that just trying to get pregnant in the first place.

Curious to hear stories of TTC (trying to conceive) baby #2 after fertility treatment for first, especially those with unexplained infertility. What makes sense as a good timing to see our fertility doctor again? Should we go at 6 months TTC, or wait it out a little longer? Having kids 2-3-4 years apart.. doesn't it really matter as long as there is another kid?

**lurker**

@tag117  

I would ask your OB what they think after you get the results from the tests you're taking. It may be a good idea since you were diagnosed with unexplained infertility. 

It doesn't matter (in my opinion) how far apart your kids are. I know some people who did 3 in 4 years and I have a close friend who has 2 kids 5 years apart. Each family / person is different. 

I don't know if you have but since you did do IVF and now are TTC naturally, I would also post this on the IVF board but I would take out the parentheses because people on TTTC / TTGP / IVF boards, etc all know what the abbreviations stand for. 

Best of luck for you!
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @tag117 Welcome! I'm glad to hear about your first success with IVF. I think I've seen a few people post about TTC their second child after IVF on the Infertility board, so you might get info there. As for your timing, since you're 35, I believe a lot of people go to an RE at that age after 6 months, so it would be fine. Plus you already have the IF history.

I'm actually really interested to hear what others have to say on this because I have pondered what the process would be after conceiving #1 with help (not that I've conceived #1 yet...probably counting my chickens as they say).
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @tag117 welcome! I hope you find these boards as helpful as I have! I don't think there really is a best sense of timing - I think it depends on your family and your son.

Some couples I know want at least 3 years between babies, others want their kids more close together. Sometimes it really depends on the child - like you might want a little more time if your son was a light sleeper, etc. Your career might also have an impact: my sister is a teacher and wants to have a whole year with her students, so she won't start trying until after a certain point.

We are still trying for baby #1, so I'm not sure what we will do... I don't want to count my chickens - I have no idea how much longer it is going to take us to conceive/to have a successful pregnancy/if I'm going to just stop trying/what - but I like to think that once we have one, we will go back to the RE shortly thereafter, so they're not more than 2 years apart. (That said, this could just be my impatience about #1 coming through - I might go through sleep training and sing a whole 'nother tune.)

If you want your son to have a close relationship with his younger sibling, to have all the goofing around childhood memories, I think 2-4 years is a good time. I have one younger sister who is 8 years younger than me, and that was fun, but my relationship with her is not the same as it is with my sibling who is 3 years younger. We're still sisters though, and we still have shared childhood memories, even if she is 8 years younger.
  • Options
    @tag117 go for it... assuming you can afford it, it won't do any harm to start talking to the professionals now. I know it's helped me to feel like I'm taking some action!
    Me: 34 DH: 32
    TTC #1: Oct 2015
    DX: Unexplained - all tests normal
    TXX:
    Jan '17 - 1st round of Letrozole 25mg CD1-9... BFN
    Feb '17 - 2nd round of Letrozole 25mg CD1-9... BFN
    Mar '17 - 3rd round of Letrozole 25mg CD1-9 + IUI... BFP!!!!!! 

Lilypie Maternity tickers