January 2016 Moms

Throwing a Fit

I've been having a problem with my LO throwing fits lately. Like throwing himself backwards and screaming over the littlest things. I'm honnestly not sure how to hand it, any one else dealing with this? I need help =(

Re: Throwing a Fit

• My LO does this too.. I let him fuss and get it out of his system and then try to distract him with something else. I also try to calmly explain to him why I'm doing whatever he threw a fit about (usually taking away something he can't play with, stopping him from crawling off the bed, etc). It is tough though- not sure how much he understands at this point, but I feel he is old enough to at least start establishing limits and learn that throwing a fit doesn't get him what he wants. Good luck, sorry you are having a tough time! 
  • My LO is the queen of tantrums. She's always been extremely dramatic, but it's coming on extra strong now. Her worst is when we can't hold her. If we set her down and she wants to be held, you'd think someone was cutting her toes off one by one... She let's out blood curdling screams, throws herself on the floor, or wraps herself around our legs. It's exhausting, but a lot of the time, we have to just walk away and ignore the behavior. Depending on the severity, we will give positive attention to our other LO for being a good boy or by distracting her with toys... then after the kids go to bed, mommy copes with a glass of wine. 
  • Loading the player...
  • All the time. If we can't divert her attention, we ignore it unless her safety is being compromised.
  • Alex pitches fits too, although he's more inclined to yell when he doesn't get his way. We say no very firmly, and if he continues the behavior he gets a crib time out. He yells and cries as much as he wants in the other room. When he's ready to behave we bring him out and cuddle for a little while and make sure we play with him or hold him or whatever.

We do something similar with our 3 yr old and his whining. We tell him he can go to his room and whine to himself, but I don't understand what he's saying and don't want to hear it. Lately he's been putting himself in time out when he gets angry or frustrated, saying that "he needs to take a minute." It's kind of adorable.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Mine gets them 100 times a day, either throws herself backwards, a new one is flinging herself on the floor dramatically while screaming, I usually ignore her or try to distract , it's usually over her grabbing something she's not meant to or heading somewhere dangerous , I loudly tell her no when she does something dangerous which usually leads to more yelling but only lasts for few seconds, I think it's a phase, not looking forward to the real toddler tantrums down the lane.. 
  • Tantrums are supposed to be part of leap 8. Ours started just a little over a week ago. I'm with most people and ignore and use distraction. 
  • Ya they are definitely starting to test the rules and limits with us more and more now!! Reactions kinda depend on the reasoning for the tantrum, but no matter what it's best for us as parents to stay calm. My LO just had her worst tantrum ever the other day when I wouldn't let her drink daddy's beer lol. I acknowledge how much she wanted it ("I know you really want the beer bottle!"), took her away from the room and offered her something else to suck on and drink (her own water glass). Plus some cuddles once she calmed down a little bit (only reward for positive behavior) because I know she doesn't like feeling left out hah. She calmed down pretty quickly. 
  • @fishee333 Brynlee threw a fit over grandpa's beer on NYE... she was so mad that it wasn't her bottle and that she couldn't steal it like she does big brother's sippy cups!
  • Mine has started as well when we tell him no or take something away. Also when he's in his high chair and has decided he's done eating.  It's exhausting
  • I'm glad Keat isn't the only one. I was worried that it was something I was doing or not doing that was causing these fits. I've been working on asking him for things he should have instead of taking them, that really seems to help, but when he wants to go somewhere he can't things get serious, haha. I guess it's just something to work on!
  • We have the biggest tantrums at nap time and when LO is super tired. This morning tantrum time was 5am... mommy was not a fan. At nap time he will usually crash witching 10 minutes. We have had the perfect storm lately of being sick, teething, jet lag, and separation anxiety, so we are just trying to survive the next little bit until he gets back on his sleep schedule. I've found that if I don't feed into the behavior it ends sooner. 
  • We don't do corporal punishment of any type. So I'm baffled. This kid is out for vengeance when you take anything away from him even in trade or stop him from climbing the safety gate. He'll growl, pinch, pull hair and bite. It doesn't last long. We ignore and distract. When my oldest was this age she'd throw back and fuss and cry. That's it. We don't yell, and dd definitely doesn't model that behavior. She has to "hide out" in the couch when he's throwing a fit. He too little to be so scrappy.
  • Our LO is going through a frustrated period. If she cant get a book open or pick something uo she gets upset. If we don't understand what she wants she gets uoset. I think its normal development to be honest. They are learning that there are things hat can and cant work. Learning boundaries. 
  • Anyone's LO kick the tantrum phase up a notch? Because mine has! She is totally impossible lately! I mean she throws a shit fit over everything and her tantrums are laying face down on the floor pounding the floor. I hope this means she's getting terrible twos outta her system...
  • l4rkl4rk member
    Today I watched LO pitch a fit because her arm was stuck under her body and she couldn't figure out how to pull it out. A minute later she realized she can just lift her body a bit and pull it from underneath her and the tears stopped instantly. I think littles are just frustrated with the learning process and not being able to do everything they want right away. I just try to remember this and be patient with her. Can be very hard though!
  • Anyone's LO kick the tantrum phase up a notch? Because mine has! She is totally impossible lately! I mean she throws a shit fit over everything and her tantrums are laying face down on the floor pounding the floor. I hope this means she's getting terrible twos outta her system...
    Yes!  Every diaper change, everytime I put him down, every meal, every time I say no....
    I thought we had a little more time before the tantrums started.

• LO is definitely upping the ante on tantrums, but it's normal, I know.
    I read that synapses in a toddler's brain fire twice as frequently as an adult's. It's part of their makeup that these will happen. I'll include a link about brain development that I found interesting. It's mostly for a little older, but it still makes sense, and I found it really helpful. https://www.parentingforbrain.com/deal-toddler-temper-tantrums/

• I have to walk away from Brynlee's tantrums because 99% of the time, I'm dying of laughter. Why, you ask? 

...because she sits on her butt, and kicks her heels against the floor and screams "tickle, tickle tickle!" Why "tickle" is her angry word, I have no idea. But it is absolutely hysterical. 

Anyone else's LO decided to add biting and pinching to their tantrums? Because that's been really fun... *eye roll*
  • I have to walk away from Brynlee's tantrums because 99% of the time, I'm dying of laughter. Why, you ask? 

...because she sits on her butt, and kicks her heels against the floor and screams "tickle, tickle tickle!" Why "tickle" is her angry word, I have no idea. But it is absolutely hysterical. 

Anyone else's LO decided to add biting and pinching to their tantrums? Because that's been really fun... *eye roll*
     My daughter, sadly, pinches to show affection. She has become the victim of biters at daycare, and we have a serious issue there. (4 times in one week, 2 kids.) I don't blame kids, but knowing what kids do at this age, the teachers need to be more aware.
  • KFrobKFrob member
    Leap 9 is supposed to be the on set of major tantrums.  We're in more of a whine about everything phase and I'm bracing for the tantrums to come!
  • @BarrettJ89 That is SOO funny, cracked me up!!! I would laugh too.

My LO has become very dramatic when she's told no. I think they are pushing boundaries and testing limits a lot more at this age, thus more tantrums when they don't get their way. Something cute - certain things I won't let LO put in her mouth, and she knows that (I say "not in your mouth"), so lately she has been putting the things near her mouth and sticking her tongue out to it instead. Technically, it's not in her mouth! So silly, I can't help but laugh at her. 

Just a tip/suggestion now that I think our LOs might be getting triggered by the word "no", wording things differently but still sending the "no" message helps sometimes.  For example:
    "Shoes are not for licking. You can lick this instead" (Teaches limits and choices)
    Or
    "I know you want to go up on the bed right now, but it's time to get dressed" (validates what they want and teaches expectations)