April 2016 Moms

New Year's Resolutions: Mommy Edition

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I am so excited for this new year and all it has to bring. As a FTM, I feel like I have accomplished so much since my LO was born. Now that we are in a new year, I have set a few parenting goals for myself to make sure I'm addressing things that I believe are important for my child's development.

The first is to decrease the occurrences of the "trade off" routine in our household. Time spent together with DH, baby, and I is more important than getting things crossed off on a to do list. (For example,  instead of "Hey, go bathe the baby while I do xyz," we will all enjoy bath time together.) My second goal is to read more to my son. He has lots of books but I have never incorporated story time with any nighttime/morning routine. Reading to him has been kind of hit and miss.

Have you all set any resolutions for the new year? Please feel free to share.

Re: New Year's Resolutions: Mommy Edition

• My big one is trying to get LO on a better schedule and night time routine. My job allows my schedule to be very flexible so I've been taking advantage of letting her go to bed when she's tired But we need to get her in a better routine and cut out these going to bed at 9:30-10 nights. 
  • I suppose my most honest one would have to be that I need to stay off my phone when I'm with my son. When he's looking at me, I should be looking at him, not at a screen. I work in digital marketing so my work follows me to my phone pretty easily, and it feels like another limb very often. I don't want him to feel like he has to compete for attention. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm also trying to reduce phone time when my baby is awake.  I feel like it's ok if she is nursing and can't see my screen, but as she is getting older and more aware I don't want to be distracted or set the wrong example. When we are about to do feeding or floor play I put it out of my reach so I'm not tempted to check things on it.  

Also trying to do a lot more household improvements, more thorough child proofing and overalll keep things neater on a daily basis.  we moved right before she was born and postponed a lot of projects but now as she get she older I want our home to be nicer for her!
  • mb0112 said: 

Also trying to do a lot more household improvements, more thorough child proofing and overalll keep things neater on a daily basis.  we moved right before she was born and postponed a lot of projects but now as she get she older I want our home to be nicer for her!
    Yes this too. Nothing like a baby to let you know how unstable your dresser is, or how many loose cables there are hanging around the house, or how many random objects can easily be toppled over. Apparently my house is a death trap and I never knew!
  • I agree on the phone stuff. I also need to be more present with my husband after the baby goes to bed. I've been using that time to catch up on everything on my phone, but I need to be more present then, too. 
  • I agree with the cellphone. I feel guilty but it's so hard. I think I'm going to start turning it off/disabling WiFi for a few hours a day. 
    Also need to spend more time with hubby and stop getting cranky with him at times. Does that happen often but still happens more than before babes was born. 

• I haven't set any resolutions but now I think I will after reading these posts.  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My resolution was to spend less time at work and more time home with my kids. It isn't working out and I am buried deep beneath a pile of ungraded papers
    kids with flags
  • brenlo42 said:
    My resolution was to spend less time at work and more time home with my kids. It isn't working out and I am buried deep beneath a pile of ungraded papers

Do you have a teacher's assistant? Are they able to grade papers or are their job duties limited to classroom only?
  • linzoirv said:
    brenlo42 said:
    My resolution was to spend less time at work and more time home with my kids. It isn't working out and I am buried deep beneath a pile of ungraded papers

Do you have a teacher's assistant? Are they able to grade papers or are their job duties limited to classroom only?

Sadly I don't have a teacher's assistant of any kind, but that would be helpful.
    kids with flags
  • t's not really a resolution,  but dh and I hAve decided for me to become a SAHM after LO's 1st bday. (well, I'm dropping to part time on the weekends, on an as needed basis, so a few shifts a month). I am beyond excited to be able to stay home with LO. My plans are to do more activities with him, play outside more, go for stroller walks and spend more time at the park. Right now,  because I work midnight shift 5 nights a week, and I stay up during the day with LO until mid afternoon,  I am always so tired and while I want to do these things with LO, I just don't have the energy. I'm also looking forward to spending more alone time with dh, because right now I sleep in the afternoon until I have to get ready for work, so we don't really see each other during the week. It's been really hard. So those are my new year goals, my resolution is to get back into an exercise routine and lose these last 7 pounds that won't budge. (When I say I'm too tired right now, I mean it. I've literally had to lay down on the floor to block the doorway while LO played in the nursery or put him in the playpen , because I couldn't keep my eyes open. That all happened during a 2 month period where my work bounced me from afternoon shift to midnights on a weekly basis. It was a nightmare).