October 2016 Moms
Options

Weekly Randoms 12.26.16

Sorry I'm late! It's been hectic 'round these here parts!

Re: Weekly Randoms 12.26.16

• Options
    Christmas day wasn't very fun with our LO like I had hoped it would be. I feel like it was about making sure to please both sets of families than us being able to enjoy ourselves . (Kind of sounds like a wedding.. which is why we eloped... too bad there isn't a Christmas version of that!) 

My in laws live 1.5 hours drive away, and my parents are about 15 mins. Unfortunately both families are set on getting together ON Christmas, so if we didn't go to both we would have missed out on seeing most people. We started the day opening gifts here at our place just the 3 of us- me, DH and LO. That was really nice except for being tired.... We were up by 7 and I think I slept 4 collective hours all night (6 wk growth spurt). Then we went to my parents 11-3 as planned, and my mom literally had NO FOOD to offer  us or my sisters. I do think think it's weird to expect there would at least be some kind of edible anything? Even a cookie plate? I did ask if there was anything we could eat and she said "oh, we dont really have anything! I didn't think you'd be hungry!" ... umm  ok? Just weird.
    We drove out to the in laws, were there 430-830 as planned, and they had ham, roasted potatoes and a casserole which we'd brought, but there wasn't enough food for everyone, which was awkward. DH and I were STARVING when we got there and had about a half plate of food each. Of course LO was crying to be fed as soon as we sat down, even though he had just eaten... so on top of being exhausted i was starving the whole day and evening . we ended up getting McDonald's drive thru on the way home before collapsing from sheer exhaustion. I don't think I have ever felt SO tired in my entire life as I did Sunday night! 

I knkw its all kind of first world problems or whatever, butI'm just so sad about it. we worked so hard to make sure our day was split up evenly and we drove all around the effing city to make sure everyone got time with DS, that we both ended up exhausted, kinda stressed, absolutely starving and of course I was paranoid about DS being passed around to 16 different people. Rant over. 

How was everyone else's Christmas? <3

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @AllyTheKid that sounds amazing!!!! I'm glad you had a chance to sit back and enjoy :) maybe you two could alternate years??? 

This is my sweet Austin with Santa... my heart melts!!!!

• Options
    @Kittens22 It was definitely nice :) I hope you have a better time next year with food aplenty! 
    Little Austin looks so precious ♡
  • Options
    @Kittens22 That whole thing is why I have everyone come over my house. Yeah it's a lot of work making food but I started the day before and also have people bring stuff. It's too much to be carting a baby around from place to place. And if they don't want to come or can't make it, oh well, we'll see you another time. 
  • Options
    I'm so disappointed that we didn't take advantage of going out just as a couple when MIL was in town. Our plans didn't really turn out how I thought. She was only over for Christmas and the next evening when H had to work. Who knows when we'll be able to get some alone time now  :/.  It is definitely needed. 
  • Options
    @ball4768 I can't remember which thread you mentioned it on but I know your LO bottles feeds at daycare and then BFs with you. How many ounces is she taking in her bottle?  Is it comparable to what she is getting from the breast. My LO is eating 4 oz from the bottle but at my LC spot she took in 2.4 oz. I think that is a lot for 9 weeks.  But when I try to give her 2.5-3 oz she cries that she's still hungry.  
  • Options
    @Ladybug2821 She takes 2-3 ounces from a bottle (typically) and I pump at least 4 ounces at each session. I think she is getting more when she breastfeeds, but she is starting to take a little more from the bottle each day. She's just more efficient at the breast, but she's learning! 
    How frequently is your LO eating? The general rule is 24 ounces in 24 hours. 
  • Options
    Ladybug2821Ladybug2821 member
    edited January 2017
    @ball4768 She is eating every 2 hours basically but that varies with whatever kind of naps she takes. She has 1 or 2 night feedings. I will actually pay attention today and count to see how many times she's feeding. I just think she is a eater. I left this morning for 30 mins and she still had an hour before her next feeding. H doesn't know how to tell her hungry cues from her sleepy cues so he always assumes she's hungry. I walk in and she's eating a bottle Ughhh. She wasn't even hungry and still ate it. Luckily it was only an 1.5 oz that I had pumped for relief. Oh yeah and as far as creamer goes, coffee mate makes dairy free. I have a chocolate truffle flavor. The only thing is it says it contains a milk derivative so I need to do research to see if that still counts. 
  • Options
    @Ladybug2821 Unfortunately, the milk derivative ingredient in non-dairy creamer still has milk protein, so I can't drink it.  :( I have found some soy creamer that I like though! Going dairy-free has definitely been a challenge, but it's forcing me to make healthier food choices so maybe I will form some good habits out of this experience. 
  • Options
    @ball4768 Ughhh well I guess I have to cut that out too. What is the one called that you found?  Hopefully this dairy free diet will get me in shape. 
  • Options
    So I'm worried that since I've been sick that my supply has gone down. Normally I wake up in the morning pretty full and leaking a little but I haven't been for the past 2 days. And really haven't felt full at all throughout the day. I've been nursing like normal. I have noticed twice that LO was hungry before her normal 2 hour mark. Prior to getting sick I had a very good supply. I just hope it's my body regulating. 
  • Options
    @Ladybug2821 It's soy creamer from Trader Joe's (their brand.) I like the creamy texture better than almond milk or coconut milk. 
  • Options
    @Ladybug2821 Being ill, and especially running a fever, can cause a temporary decrease in your supply, I learned that when I got the flu whike BFing DD. I took fenugreek to give me a boost.
  • Options
    @ball4768 Have you ever tried RiceDream rice milk? I hate cows milk, soy milk, and didn't like the texture of almond milk. I found that rice milk and never looked back! The texture is perfect, and it tastes fantastic. By far my personal favorite, totally worth trying while you're lactose free 
  • Options
    @AllyTheKid I have not tried it, but I will! I'm not a big milk-drinker at all, but I'm addicted to coffee with cream.  :#
  • Options
    I bet it would be great in coffee... it has a very faint sweetness to it.
  • Options
    @Ladybug2821 Being ill, and especially running a fever, can cause a temporary decrease in your supply, I learned that when I got the flu whike BFing DD. I took fenugreek to give me a boost.
    Guess I'm going to have to get some fenugreek  :|.  Seems better this morning but just in case. 
  • Options
    mothernorthmothernorth member
    edited January 2017
    @Ladybug2821 I don't know that I needed the fenugreek, but I used it being a paranoid FTM. I'm sure that if you stick to your normal routine your supply will follow suit while you get well, but if you're not making enough to satisfy your LO's appetite, it couldn't hurt to give yourself a boost with fenugreek or oatmeal or lactation cookies or something like that.
  • Options
    @Ladybug2821 Like @AllyTheKid said, try some oatmeal and see if it helps. I've been making lactation granola and/or cookies and I think it gives my supply a little boost. I notice a big difference when I don't eat oatmeal though. 
  • Options
    @Ladybug2821 Increase your water intake too!

Me: 32 & DH: 37
    Married: November 2014
    TTC #1 Since: October 2015
    BFP #1: 11/18/15 - CP
    BFP #2: 2/8/16 - EDD 10/20/16
    IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• Options
    Ladybug2821Ladybug2821 member
    edited January 2017
    Being sick I did cut down on water and oatmeal, well really food in general. But I made sure I ate oatmeal and drank tons of water yesterday and I think it's helping already probably along with getting better. I need to make more cookies. I have plenty of the ingredients from when I made them in the beginning. 
  • Options
    @Ladybug2821 Glad to see things seem to be on the up and up all the way around for you!
  • Options
    @Ladybug2821 Glad to see things seem to be on the up and up all the way around for you!
    Thanks!  I finally feel like I'm getting the hang of this mommy thing. But I do have to say I've been having anxiety when LO is sleeping at night. I'm constantly worried something is going to happen so I can't sleep. I always get up to check that she's breathing. Is this going to get worse when I move her to her own room?
  • Options
    @Ladybug2821 awww!!!! I have that too. I try so hard to relax but my legs twitch with anxiety that he's not alright... Lol. I looked at buying one of those bedside attachments  but it seems like a waste of money at this point since he'll grow out of it soon.

I DO know that I'm better now at week 8 than I was the first 2 weeks we had him home. Something that's helped is that when i start to feel scared from not having heard him stir for a while, I tell myself to just be patient and wait, he will stir again in a minute.  It helps me calm down and stay in bed until I inevitably hear him move or breathe again.  I know it's easier said than done! 
  • Options
    I'm not going to lie... the anxiety is way worse when you move the babes to their own rooms. Well, for me anyway. Johnny snores, I never thought that would be something I would be grateful for one day, but I am because I can always hear him breathing while he sleeps!