July 2017 Moms

NT Scan and gender?

I'll be about 14 weeks when I have mine done. Anyone find out gender that early from the scan?
i don't recall having this scan done with my other babies, so this is new for me. 

Re: NT Scan and gender?

• I had my NT scan at 12 weeks and he told us it was way too early to tell and that we would find out at our 20 week scan
    TTC history in spoiler
    Me: 31 Him: 37
    Married: Oct 2015
    Baby G born June 2017
    TTC#2: July 2018
    BFP #2: 2/6/19 MC 3/14/19
    BFP#3 from IUI #2: 6/30/20 EDD 3/9/21

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• I'll be about 14 weeks when I have mine done. Anyone find out gender that early from the scan?
    i don't recall having this scan done with my other babies, so this is new for me. 
    My doctor told me the earliest to find out is at about 20 weeks so I would guess 14 is still too early
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I know that's the earliest they say it's a pretty good guarantee on the sex. I was just wondering if anyone got a good hint. Bummer! I was hoping for an earlier inking
  • I know a few folks who found out they were having boys at around 14 weeks; sometimes the techs get lucky.  But it's not common, and they won't tell you you're having a girl at that point.
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We found out right around that time we were having a boy. We might have been 15 weeks. To put it bluntly, he was basically balls up on the ultrasound, so we got lucky. We weren't doing the scan to determine the gender, but my midwife said "well do you want to know what it is?" I said "It's pretty obvious!" 
  • My untrasound tech said we could find out at 16 weeks for 40$ with an extra scan, or wait until 20 weeks for anatomy scan. I was worried about not being able to tell at that point. Might just skip the extra and do 20 weeks, not sure yet. 
  • I'll be about 14 weeks when I have mine done. Anyone find out gender that early from the scan?
    I was 13.5 weeks at my NT scan and two techs confirmed with 100% certainty it was a girl...they were right. 
  • On the flip side, some friends got an elective u/s around 17 weeks and was told girl but at their anatomy scan, they were told boy - and he is definitely a boy! i think it's easier to confirm boy (balls, duh) and more chances call a girl wrong if that makes sense 
  • I had my NT scan and an "early anatomy scan" at 12 weeks. The doctor (specializing in these scans - German system) said that at that point, the sex organ is either a clitoris or a penis and will be the same size...but that the direction that it points is often a good clue.

So based on that, she told me that she would guess that I am having a girl - but that's it's really a guess and is still basically 50/50 whether boy or girl. (Note: she had misunderstood that I actually did NOT want to hear her guess...so I am not sure if the 50/50 part was a cover up or true.)
  • Isn't there a blood test that can be done to tell gender? I don't know about it I just remember some moms talking about it on here and I thought that's what they meant. I'm assuming it's elective or for high risk maybe? 
  • morgarita said:
    Isn't there a blood test that can be done to tell gender? I don't know about it I just remember some moms talking about it on here and I thought that's what they meant. I'm assuming it's elective or for high risk maybe? 
    There's a genetic test my husband and I might do thats called cell free DNA. Is newer and is a blood test and would also give us the sex of the baby. We're still debating on whether we want the test or not. If so, we'll do it at my next appointment (16 weeks). 
  • I had my NT SCAN at 12 weeks with Ds and they could tell it was a boy.  Just did my scan on Friday at 11+5 and she couldn't see or if she could she didn't say. With my son she said it was just enough to tell. Looks like I'll find out on Valentine's Day when they do my next growth scan. 
  • You can order a gender only blood test on amazon. Its $80.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • I thought the NT scan had to be done by 13w6d in order to be accurate.  So I would be concerned if it is scheduled for after then. And while it is possible after 12w to "take a peek," at whether it is a penis or not, I wouldn't trust it that early to the point of painting the nursery.
  • ginger1228 JmU Duuuukes 07  The NT/NIPT test needs to be done before 14 weeks to be conclusive. I had a friend who found out she was pregnant at 16 weeks and couldn't get it done because they can't tell if there is thickening of the neck after 14 weeks. The cell free DNA test looks like it's just a blood test so I guess you could do it later. 
    Of course if you think you might terminate a pregnancy if there was a severe genetic problem then you would want those results as soon as possible.
  • @Carson'sMommy I just looked at them online, but it seems that you draw your own blood, put it in a tube, and mail it away. Results in 7-10 days just like the NIPT.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • Haha, I had no clue NIPT was the same as the cell free DNA. I just always stayed out of the NIPT thread bc I thought it was the same as NT and knew I wasn't doing that. I just saw letters that looked similar and assumed they were basically the same. This is why I'm not a detective. 
  • @OperaSingerMommy Haha, I hear you! I think it's like a diabetic testing kit, but I have no proof lol
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @GlitterFish Oh ok, that's way less creepy to me!  Lol, I am almost 30 and I still have to look away and have the tech tell me a story when I'm getting blood taken.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • ginger1228ginger1228 member
    edited January 2017
    @Carson'sMommy I just looked at them online, but it seems that you draw your own blood, put it in a tube, and mail it away. Results in 7-10 days just like the NIPT.
    Oh my God, I would pass out.  I'm about to pass out just imagining this.  (I'm sure in reality you probably mean have a family member draw your blood for you but OH MY GOD!!!). Apologies to all of our medical professionals in this group who now know what a sissy I am.
    NO ONE is taking blood out of me except for someone trained. And they only get one chance. I don't fool around with needles. Luckily I have great veins so no one has ever needed a second
    chance. I've had blood taken so many times and my brain knows it doesn't hurt, but it still freaks me the eff out. 

Edit for typos
  • I feel lightheaded if I look at the blood coming out of me. It doesn't matter that I know it's entirely psychological, just seeing the blood leave my body makes me feel like I'm suddenly getting weaker. It's really sad, how bad my phobia of needles is. Seriously, the worst part by far of giving birth to my son was having that stupid IV line in the back of my wrist. It messed with my head so badly.
    Married 25 May, 2013
    William Alexander born 18 September, 2015
    Harper Grace born 9 June, 2017
    Colton Miles born 9 June, 2017
    Bowen James due 19 June, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Oh god I get this! I always look away with needles of any kind (including flu shots). And I eat right beforehand with blood tests. I am terrified of any kind of medical procedure that involves needles and requires an empty stomach (so yes, I'm pretty scared of childbirth and hoping I'm in so much pain that I DGAF... but it's unlikely). I'd probably have to hold back tears if the person was condescending to me about it. Just being near the blood draw room puts me on edge... all the emotions are right at the surface.
    ~DD arrived July 4, 2017~
  • ktewart said:
    I feel lightheaded if I look at the blood coming out of me. It doesn't matter that I know it's entirely psychological, just seeing the blood leave my body makes me feel like I'm suddenly getting weaker. It's really sad, how bad my phobia of needles is. Seriously, the worst part by far of giving birth to my son was having that stupid IV line in the back of my wrist. It messed with my head so badly.
    Ditto this. They wrapped my hand so i couldn't see the IV, and it pushed it in deeper and hurt all day. I'm not sure what to do this time. It was the one reason that I was (half jokingly) considering a home birth, but an acquaintenance posted a blog about her home birth, and she had an IV. Soooo... guess I am out of luck. Woof.
  • With my son, yes at 13.5 weeks. With my daughter no, it was a different facility. With this babe, no, but only because we are team green (he offered to try if we wanted). 
    married 7.18.12   DS1 4.29.13   EDD 11.23.14

my happy boy

• I draw blood, see blood, usually have some sort of blood on me daily yet I sweat and look away when it's my own. No shame ladies. 
    Same here! I'm totally cool with sticking needles into people (including big ones for LPs and biopsies) but I can't look at my own blood being taken! 
    I can't believe that RN @virginiaunicorn11 ! Must be German directness lol 
  • @virginiaunicorn11 I don't know about every experience, but I'm pretty sure there are midwives and birth centers where you don't have to have an IV. I would ask your doctor. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • dancegurl1118dancegurl1118 member
    edited January 2017
    Unless there's a necessary reason, if you are really against it you can refuse an IV. Necessary reason being you want pain meds, history of a complication in delivery, or you are being induced. 

I work at a giant hospital with high volume and it's usually standard procedure to throw an IV in but if a patient refuses then a patient refuses. Do your research, ladies! It's your body and your labor. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • I'm on the needle phobic train too... I also have tiny veins that are terribly difficult to stick. I'm famous for warning any nurse or phlebotomist "not to be a hero" as I won't tolerate repeated sticks. I also request smaller needles.

The one time I had surgery my anesthesiologist had to insert my IV with a special (small) needle into my arm, because I was screaming bloody murder while the regular nurse tried jamming the regular IV needle (it's huge) into my hand. He practically pulled her off me, I loved it. 
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • I can't stand the thought of an IV in my hand. I've only had one in my arm (like the bend of my elbow). I felt the prick, but it was fine. But in my hand (or foot!!!) - no thanks!
    I don't want an IV for as long as I can put it off during labor bc I'd like to be able to walk around. I would love to do a med-free birth, but I think I'll cave. 
  • During labor with DS the nurse put the IV in my hand...AND right back out...like she was sewing!  Idk what look I must have given her, or if I said something, but another nurse came in and fixed it, and the first one never came back in my room...smart lady.
  • kerils said:
    @virginiaunicorn11 I don't know about every experience, but I'm pretty sure there are midwives and birth centers where you don't have to have an IV. I would ask your doctor. 
    Yup yup yup
  • @dancegurl1118 I know that, and believe me, I have the utmost respect for nurses...I would NEVER want to do their job.  But, in and out when in labor was just completely intolerable at the time.  I knew she didn't intend to, but I had no patience for it, lol.  I'm sure the contractions I was having on the friggin pitocin were not helping at all - not helping her ability to do the IV, nor mine to react calmly.
  • @dancegurl1118, oh, I don't hate nurses at all or think they hate me! Haha. My nurse (specifically the second shift nurse who actually did the grunt work for my labor) looked at me 14 hours in when shift change happened and said "I've been doing this 37 years. Inductions can take ages. If you trust me, though, we'll have this baby on my shift." She was my guardian angel. And I thank my phlebotomist every time they do a good job or are just compassionate in general.

But I do give some serious stink eye to the needles themselves! Haha.
    Married 25 May, 2013
    William Alexander born 18 September, 2015
    Harper Grace born 9 June, 2017
    Colton Miles born 9 June, 2017
    Bowen James due 19 June, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have tiny and wiggy veins so it usually takes a tech several tries. Once, I had three different techs try before they finally were able to draw blood. I went back to work with bruises and track marks on both my arms. It was so awkward!  

I've had an IV in the back of my hand only once. It must have been against a nerve or something because the pain was excruciating. Every time the IV moved even a little, I hurt like crazy. 
  • I totally respect and love nurses for what they do, but I think it's a specific nurses fault that I hate needles so much, because before this incident I never really had an issue. I was 14 and went in for adenoid surgery, and while one nurse was asking me whether I was pregnant or not (I absolutely wasn't, but she wasn't having it) the other nurse just jammed the needle into my arm with zero warning. I didn't even know she was over there. I almost hit the lady, and I flipped out on her, and now I hate IV's and needles and blood draws even though I don't have an issue with blood. I just couldn't believe she would stick something in me like that with no warning. I jerked too, which messed up the IV anyways. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)