June 2017 Moms

Summer Friendly Baby Carriers

There was some discussion of baby carriers in the gear thread, but I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for baby carriers that won't make both baby and me sweaty and uncomfortable. I have an ergo and a Moby, but both of those (ergo with newborn insert) will be pretty hot in June, July and August. My other babies were not newborns in the summer.

Re: Summer Friendly Baby Carriers

• I have a mesh ring sling that can be used in water. It is very light but I dont think it will be very comfy for a newborn. I used it when my son was 3 months plus. I was planning on using the ktan for the newborn stage and just keeping baby very lightly dressed.
  • Loading the player...
  • Lillebaby makes an all seasons carrier that has a zip down mesh panel and a all mesh all seasons carrier.  Ive heard they are slightly cooler than the ergo, but I haven't really used them since my toddler was not willing to sit in the carrier. 
    DD 1- born January 22, 2014
    Due June 25 2017

• We used the ice pack trick and light dressing to make wearing DD more comfy during Vegas summers. We have a Bjorn One mesh

• I live in So Cal and my son was born in May, I used the Moby first and just had to make sure our skin didn't touch or we'd get sticky sweaty...

Then I switched to a Tula but he didn't need the insert because he was a big boy. They have the mesh panel now but with an insert, I think it would be hot.

I think I'm going for a ring sling this time but I'm not sure which one yet!
  • I'll be buying a solly for this baby, I loved the wrap with my first baby but it's a boba and way too thick for the summer 
  • I had a linen ring sling for my summer baby.  It was nice and cool for both of us.  

https://www.sleepingbaby.net/proddetail.php?prod=linen
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'm planning to buy a Lillebaby Airflow for this baby. We live in NE, so it isn't hot year-round, but I can't imagine using anything else during the summer months! We will just bundle up during the late fall/early spring.
    Plus, the Lillebaby can also be used for a toddler. I tried the K'tan with DS as a newborn this past summer and it was just way. too. hot. Hoping the Lillebaby works better for him as well! 
  • I loved using the Maya wrap ring sling.  We didn't over heat with it on and it comes in beautiful colors.  
    https://www.mayawrap.com/

• For those that mentioned the solly wrap... is it thinner material than moby or boba? How challenging is it to wrap? I had a ktan last time, ring sling, ergo and tula. Im worried.about being able to wrap by myself. Ill have a toddler too so I want something that is secure enough but not too hot.
  • mrtmrt member
    Thanks for the advice ladies. I'll have to see if I can get any of these options used, or just deal with what I have. This is my last baby, I don't think I can justify the spending on a third brand new baby carrier. I'm also kind of hoping my baby won't need the infant insert in the ergo for very long (or at all).
  • @mombod yes the solly wrap is a thinner, lighter material than the moby and boba, I remember the boba being so hot for my son and I. It is more pricey though. And wrapping isn't hard once you get the hang of it, you'll just need to practice a few times before having baby, definitely took me a couple of tries to get it 
  • I have a lillebaby all seasons that I like but don't know how I'll feel using it with a newborn. I'm leaning towards a Solly after reading everyone's comments and looking online at them and a few other wraps. Is anyone part of any baby wearing groups on Facebook that sells used wraps? If so, can you mention names of them? I would like to find a used Solly if possible. 
  • I have a Boba3G which I LOVED for DD but it's better for bigger babies.  I'm getting one of these for when this baby is little this summer:
    https://www.diapers.com/p/baby-ktan-active-baby-carrier-ocean-blue-1115503

MC Sept 2010
    BFP Oct 2011 - DD born July 2012
    TTC again since July 2014
    First IUI 9/26/16:  BFP!
    EDD 6/19/2017
    It's a girl!
    Born 6/26/17, 9lb 5oz
  • @kassyfry look up solly baby b/s/t and chat on Facebook
  • I had a Wrapsody I used with DD2, who was an August baby.
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • kassyfry said:
    I have a lillebaby all seasons that I like but don't know how I'll feel using it with a newborn. I'm leaning towards a Solly after reading everyone's comments and looking online at them and a few other wraps. Is anyone part of any baby wearing groups on Facebook that sells used wraps? If so, can you mention names of them? I would like to find a used Solly if possible. 
    I used this with DD starting around 5 weeks...she hated the sling carrier with a passion, she has reflux issues and preferred to be sitting straight up.  To be fair she weighed about 11 lbs by then, but there are enough ways to set it up to make it safe for newborns (seat widths, neck support, etc).

I live in NC though so I mostly used it in the house that summer...it was too hot during the day to be outside after 10am regardless of what she was wearing or being carried in until September.  Can't wait to do that again ::sarcasm:: hopefully this summer is more mild.  The week DD was born we had a string of 8 days over 100 degrees. And it was only June.  She wore only a diaper and muslin swaddle in the house until like 4 weeks.
  • semicolonsemicolon member
    edited January 2017
    I'm in a lot of FB groups for babywearing. Most local groups have a lending library that you can try on and get a tutorial for. Meaning, if I want to try a certain style and brand, I can learn how, borrow it, and see how I like it before I invest in my own.

I have an Ergo, a two Tulas, and a handful of Girasol wraps...but my daughter was a December baby, so I liked being warm and cozy.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • mombod said:
    For those that mentioned the solly wrap... is it thinner material than moby or boba? How challenging is it to wrap? I had a ktan last time, ring sling, ergo and tula. Im worried.about being able to wrap by myself. Ill have a toddler too so I want something that is secure enough but not too hot.
    I think it's a thinner, more breathable fabric. I didn't find it difficult to wrap at all. It's challenging to find the right level of tightness at first, but that's easy enough to figure out.
  • I have a May and a April baby and I loved the Ktan.  Granted, I didn't spending a crap ton of time outside in the humid sumer months in NOVA but I do love those two wraps.  The Ergo always worked well hiking in the Spring/Summer/Fall too. 

\

DS #1 born 05/25/2012   
                                                         BFP#2:  06/12/2013 ---- loss

DS #2 born 4/08/2014
          BPF#4: 2/1/2016 --- 2/23/2016 suspected molar pregnancy--- 3/15/2016 D&E - diagnosis MM
                                                                   BFP#5 - 9/22/2016

* formally bornmommy

• Check out Babywearing on a Budget on Facebook. All sorts of carriers and wraps are sold on there, and everything is under $100.
    Married 8/29/09
    MC: 9/14
    Goober #1 born: 8/17/15
    MC: 9/16
    Goober # 2 EDD: 6/27/17
  • I just saw on Amazon that the Ktan makes a Ktan BREEZE that is supposed to be breathable and help keep you cool. I've not tried a Ktan before. I used a woven wrap with my first that was born at the end of October and the wrap was very warm so I'm in the market for something different.
  • flyingncmamaflyingncmama member
    edited January 2017
  • hp_mommahp_momma member
    edited January 2017
    I just saw on Amazon that the Ktan makes a Ktan BREEZE that is supposed to be breathable and help keep you cool. I've not tried a Ktan before. I used a woven wrap with my first that was born at the end of October and the wrap was very warm so I'm in the market for something different.
    Lurking from May '17... 
    I used the K'tan Breeze with my DD2 in both Arizona and Texas summers! As long as she was just in a onesie the Breeze was great and I plan on using it again for this summer baby! The best part about the Breeze is that half of it is mesh and the other half is the original product, so when you don't need the cool air mesh side (winter), you can just flip it! 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • h&pmomma - I've been wondering about the K'tan Breeze, so that's super helpful. I see some complaints that it puts all of the weight on your shoulders - have you found that to be the case?
    Me 37, DH 40
    BFP #1 6/13 DD 3/14
    Mirena 10/14-5/16
    BFP #2 9/2/16, CP confirmed 9/8/16
    BFP #3 10/10/16 EDD 6/22/17
  • c1tym0m22 said:
    h&pmomma - I've been wondering about the K'tan Breeze, so that's super helpful. I see some complaints that it puts all of the weight on your shoulders - have you found that to be the case?
    I would think it's typical to any wrap carrier as it doesn't have a ton of support, but I've never had any back/shoulder issues while using it. I do have lower back/sciatic pain generally but I never noticed that the K'tan increased or aggravated it any. I definitely think the K'tan is most useful newborn-9months, you need something more structured once baby is bigger! 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • h&pmomma said:
    I would think it's typical to any wrap carrier as it doesn't have a ton of support, but I've never had any back/shoulder issues while using it. I do have lower back/sciatic pain generally but I never noticed that the K'tan increased or aggravated it any. I definitely think the K'tan is most useful newborn-9months, you need something more structured once baby is bigger! 
    Thanks for the quick reply - I have a Moby wrap (which I like, but takes a while for me to get on / adjust, and is warm) and an Ergo. Trying to solve for summer heat for an infant, and it sounds like the K'tan Breeze may be the solution. (And I also have some lower back issues, so would probably switch to the more supportive Ergo as soon as this little guy is big enough to skip the infant insert. While DD was on the bigger side at 8lbs 4oz, she wasn't a quick weight gainer so it was a while before the Ergo seemed like a safe option and the infant insert never really "worked" for us.)
    Me 37, DH 40
    BFP #1 6/13 DD 3/14
    Mirena 10/14-5/16
    BFP #2 9/2/16, CP confirmed 9/8/16
    BFP #3 10/10/16 EDD 6/22/17
  • Hopefully this is ok to post:  I have a like-new Organic Moby Wrap in oatmeal color with booklet and carry sack if anyone wants it.  I'll sell it for $20 shipped.  I bought it for DD, washed it but never used it and it's been sitting in my closet.  PM me if you want it.  Here is a link to what it looks like:
    https://www.amazon.com/Moby-Wrap-Carrier-Organic-Oatmeal/dp/B00GDKEKIE

MC Sept 2010
    BFP Oct 2011 - DD born July 2012
    TTC again since July 2014
    First IUI 9/26/16:  BFP!
    EDD 6/19/2017
    It's a girl!
    Born 6/26/17, 9lb 5oz
  • Bringing this back because I just got my K'tan in the mail today and I'm SO excited! I want a baby to come over so I can try it out! FTM and I really hope that baby carrying is my thing. I'd love to have like 5 different carriers (but they're so expensive). I read through this whole thread like three times just loving all the info! 
  • @kyreno11 , I hear you. I got a Moby a few months ago, and want to try it out as well.
    Married 8/29/09
  • lmudralmudra member
    Anyone do a ring sling?  Which kind?  Did it feel secure enough?
  • kyreno11 said:
    Bringing this back because I just got my K'tan in the mail today and I'm SO excited! I want a baby to come over so I can try it out! FTM and I really hope that baby carrying is my thing. I'd love to have like 5 different carriers (but they're so expensive). I read through this whole thread like three times just loving all the info! 
    I've been practicing with a buildabear. Lol! 
  • So I recently sold my ergo and bought a Tula- I know the Tula and ergo both have infant inserts and I used the infant insert with the Ergo but was able to just roll a receiving blanket under her bum to do the same thing basically as the insert. Am I able to do the same thing with the Tula (maybe an A&A muslin blanket under her bum) so it's not as hot this summer? I've tried the moby, ktan, and a few other wraps and wasn't a fan. 
  • So I recently sold my ergo and bought a Tula- I know the Tula and ergo both have infant inserts and I used the infant insert with the Ergo but was able to just roll a receiving blanket under her bum to do the same thing basically as the insert. Am I able to do the same thing with the Tula (maybe an A&A muslin blanket under her bum) so it's not as hot this summer? I've tried the moby, ktan, and a few other wraps and wasn't a fan. 
    I've seen people argue either way on that. Some say it's just fine, others say the baby isn't properly supported. A lot might depend on the specific baby's length, weight, and head control.

I have a ergo insert and plan to try and use it with my Tula. 
    Married 8/29/09
  • lmudra said:
    I have 3 Sakura Bloom silk ring slings. I looooove them! They were nice and cool in the summer and are still super secure when I'm wearing my 30 lb toddler (it's rare, but it does still happen sometimes). I didn't get one until DS was 7 or 8 months last time and I'm excited to use them from the get go this time around. 
  • lmc929lmc929 member
    lmudra said:
    I have 3 Sakura Bloom silk ring slings. I looooove them! They were nice and cool in the summer and are still super secure when I'm wearing my 30 lb toddler (it's rare, but it does still happen sometimes). I didn't get one until DS was 7 or 8 months last time and I'm excited to use them from the get go this time around. 
    Do you have a particular fabric that you think would work best in the summer? I have a moby and ergo from DS who was a march baby but I could use something lighter weight.

Me: 29 DH: 35

Married: 9/29/12

DS #1: 3/8/15

• lmudralmudra member
    Whoa!  Those are $180!!!!  I wonder if a $40 one from Etsy is ok or is that brand safer in some way?
  • onaedonaed member
    Last time I used the Boba at home and Ergo when I went out just to feel a little more secure.
  • lmc929 said:
    lmudra said:
    Do you have a particular fabric that you think would work best in the summer? I have a moby and ergo from DS who was a march baby but I could use something lighter weight.
    I'm part of their b/s/t group on FB and usually when people ask about good summer fabrics they get steered in the direction of silks or chambrays. I only have experience with the silks, but I find them to be very lightweight and breathable. 

@lmudra they're on the pricey side for sure, but they hold their value so I'll be able to sell them for what I paid for them. I bought all mine off the b/s/t group so they were already nice and broken in and I didn't have to mess with that. I don't think SBs are any safer than another brand of ring sling. It's just the brand that was recommended to me and I fell in love after I got my first one. 
  • It's helpful to hear everyone's recommendations!

With DD1 we mostly used tulas. I'm thinking about their new Tula free to grow (no infant insert will make it cooler) or a ring sling made with silk or linen.