July 2017 Moms

The Big Maternity Clothes Thread

Re: The Big Maternity Clothes Thread

• @Xath I was wondering what the quality was like?  If you could compare to a well-known brand?  Do they use natural fibers or is it a mix?
  • XathXath member
    edited December 2016
    @Xath I was wondering what the quality was like?  If you could compare to a well-known brand?  Do they use natural fibers or is it a mix?
    @caribbeanmama Stitch Fix carries a variety of brands, so quality will vary, but I've found that all of my pieces have held up pretty well (and I'm super abusive to clothes).  If you prefer natural or synthetic fibers you can note that in your profile, and they'll do their best to accommodate (though the stylists don't always have access to the fiber content).  

Some brands are exclusive to SF; others you can find at Nordstrom, Macy's and the like.  A few examples of brands I've received include Market & Spruce, Pixley, and Kut from the Kloth.  

Don't know if this is allowed here (and I will edit if it isn't), but if anyone is interested in trying and wants a referral code, feel free to PM me.  (I do not work for SF)
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • HELP. I've been casually looking for maternity clothes in stores, and none of the stores around me carry any. I'm not even in a small area, although I'm not in a major city. JCP, Old Navy, Ross, Marshalls, all big fat nos. Target has like 3 racks, and Burlington had 2. There's a Motherhood store, but I hear that they are expensive. Any suggestions on where I can get clothes without buying online? Nothing ever fits me the way it's supposed to, so I can't imagine online is going to work out for me. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • kerils said:
    HELP. I've been casually looking for maternity clothes in stores, and none of the stores around me carry any. I'm not even in a small area, although I'm not in a major city. JCP, Old Navy, Ross, Marshalls, all big fat nos. Target has like 3 racks, and Burlington had 2. There's a Motherhood store, but I hear that they are expensive. Any suggestions on where I can get clothes without buying online? Nothing ever fits me the way it's supposed to, so I can't imagine online is going to work out for me. 
    Do you have Kohls?  Motherhood is pretty reasonable, I found; they have frequent sales.  (It's Pea in the Pod that's super expensive).  The thing I like about Motherhood for staples is that they have 3 different lengths for all of their pants.  So even if I paid $30/pair, I wasn't also paying for alterations.  It's been a few years since I built up my staples wardrobe so things might be a bit higher now.

Also look around to see if there are any maternity consignments in your area.  My larger thrift stores had maternity sections to rival Target or JCP.  And don't be too discouraged if you do end up buying online.  Many retailers have fantastic return policies.  Some that have retail stores will also allow you to return online purchases in person.
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
  • @Xath Kohls I have, I just hope that they actually have a maternity section in store unlike every other store around here. Didn't think about them actually, thanks :)
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • LoveLee85LoveLee85 member
    edited December 2016
    kerils said:
    HELP. I've been casually looking for maternity clothes in stores, and none of the stores around me carry any. I'm not even in a small area, although I'm not in a major city. JCP, Old Navy, Ross, Marshalls, all big fat nos. Target has like 3 racks, and Burlington had 2. There's a Motherhood store, but I hear that they are expensive. Any suggestions on where I can get clothes without buying online? Nothing ever fits me the way it's supposed to, so I can't imagine online is going to work out for me. 
    Honeslty, I wore non-maternity tops probably 90% of the time with DS. With pants, I have a few joes jeans and they are amazing! I just wash frequently.  Maternity leggings are a must. I really just shopped the regular women's sections for tops and flowy dresses. This probably doesn't help much other than don't be stuck on just the maternity section. My local mall doesn't have a  maternity store. And the local Target has a tiny section, hardly ever restocked! So I just looked all over and managed to find stuff that worked. GOOD LUCK. 

ETA: words!
  • @Xath thanks for the info!  I would like to try some new options this time around as I was stuck with my maternity wardrobe for almost 2 years last time.  (I gained too much and it took a long time to get back to normal.). I want cute pieces and more than just basics in black, cream, and grey.

@kerils I found it incredibly frustrating to find maternity clothes in person.  I was driving all over the place last time.  Online was a necessity - and as I said earlier I had to return like 50 or more pieces!

Like @LoveLee85, I wore a lot of nonmaternity tops.  I'm on the petite side with small shoulders and a narrow waist so much of my weight came in just filling in my trunk.  Although I looked rounder, my belly didn't pop until I was 6 months or so last time.  So I got away with going up a size in sweaters for example from normal stores - I just bought the longer styles for longevity.  It really depends on how you will carry.  I didn't buy clothes in advance - that would have been a waste.  Now for my bottom half - I definitely needed maternity.  Going up a size only worked for leggings and bikini bottoms.
  • I'm the same way!  Maternity clothes make up like 15% of my wardrobe. i just buy Large shirts, maxi skirts/dresses and wrap dresses. I layer a lot so I wear tanks and cardigan/dolman. I also cannot stand full panels on maternity pants/shorts. I am able to wear my jeans my whole pregnancy. 
  • I'm the same way!  Maternity clothes make up like 15% of my wardrobe. i just buy Large shirts, maxi skirts/dresses and wrap dresses. I layer a lot so I wear tanks and cardigan/dolman. I also cannot stand full panels on maternity pants/shorts. I am able to wear my jeans my whole pregnancy. 
    Show off!!!!!
  • I think it probably depends on how you wear your jeans! I have a weird high butt, so I wear high-rise and, since they go at my stomach, they became quickly unbearable with the bloat. My friend wears low-rise, though, and even at 21 weeks, she was able to wear her pre-pregnancy jeans with a ponytail holder under her bump.
    TTC #1: 4/16
    BFP #1: 5/16
    MMC at 8 weeks: 6/16
    BFP #2: 10/16 
    Sweet baby boy arrived 7/7/17!
  • edited December 2016
    leilac said:
    I think it probably depends on how you wear your jeans! I have a weird high butt, so I wear high-rise and, since they go at my stomach, they became quickly unbearable with the bloat. My friend wears low-rise, though, and even at 21 weeks, she was able to wear her pre-pregnancy jeans with a ponytail holder under her bump.
    Nope nope nope.  Uhm wouldn't it be lovely if only all the weight gained went into the round firm belly and none into one's thighs and butt!  I will put this on my Christmas list - fat in belly only!
    Show off!!!!!
    Ha... very funny but it's true.  I am 33/34w in this picture.  I had gained 15lbs by this point and it's all belly and boobs.
  • I found the maternity section at Target had a decent selection of jeans (all types of panels) and tops/sweaters. I was able to get two pairs of Liz Lange Under the Belly Side Panel jeans w/ 20% off Cartwheel offer. I also found a Jillian O'Malley Seamless Wire-less Maternity/Nursing Bra for $18.99 (it's basically the same style as the Bravado brand I've been looking at online for $49.99).

Also, I wear (and sell) LuLaRoe... so leggings for days, and lots of flowing tops (Perfect Tee and Irmas) are great during pregnancy. I'm also looking forward to rocking some maxi skirts and the long maxi style dress (Ana) when spring and summer roll back around. *If anyone ever wants to shop LLR, please PM me and I can send you a link for my shop. 
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • My maternity clothes search has been a giant fail so far. I went to two different Kohls in my area and both didn't have any maternity clothes! I bought most of my maternity clothes from Kohls my last pregnancy, so I KNOW they have some, but every time I went I couldn't find the section, and when I asked for some assistance, the lady directed me to the plus size section and said "it's somewhere near there" and I still couldn't find it...

then today i drove to the closest ON to try and find some pants, and asked a lady to direct me to the maternity section and she said "oh we don't sell maternity at this location." Ugh!!! I'm hesistant to buy online because I like to try things on to make sure they look good. 
    Kohls has a pretty good selection online and they have an amazing return policy! I bought all kinds of stuff online last go around. Some stuff looked awful and I returned right away, but I just kept the tags on the rest until I wore it and returned anything I didn't wear after I had my son. 
  • Has anyone gotten maternity stuff from Poshmark? I just bought a Bella Band from there (I had a credit; it ended up costing me $1.75) but haven't pulled the trigger on anything else. They have a ton of stuff, though.
  • Just thought I'd share: A Pea in a Pod is having 50% off sale items, 40% off outerwear, and 30% off almost everything else online right now.  I think the sale ends today.  I don't know if this sale applies in store as well.  I just spent an unreasonable amount of money.  Free shipping at $125+. 
  • @Xath I just took a leap joined stitch fix!  Delivery set for January 7.  I'm nervous and excited as I'm trying to hold out on buying anything until then - plus am trying to hide the pregnancy until February at work.  I have clothes from last pregnancy but I gained weight more quickly that time so am in an awkward phase right now.  Question for you: did you receive any maternity wear from them as yet?  How did it turn out?
  • I have what is possibly a stupid question. FTM, and I don't quite understand maternity clothes I guess. I feel like I don't really know what I'm going to look like, and therefore what will fit when I have a bump. I've tried on a few maternity pants and shirts, but I feel like they all just look frumpy and don't fit well, no matter what size I try on. I am smaller (5'5, 120 pounds pre-pregnancy) and generally speaking I don't fit well in women's section clothes. I actually tend to just wear jeans and t-shirts because of that. So basically, am I going to look frumpy and not fit well in maternity no matter what I do, bump or not, or when I have the bump will they look better? I'm holding out until the bump appears in the hopes that it makes the clothes look cute and not like potato sacks, but if that's not going to happen, I would rather know now. I know some people get through in regular clothes that are a bit longer or more flowy, might that solve my sizing problem? I feel like maybe those will fit me better, but who knows. My cup size is ginormous in comparison to the rest of me (32H, although in fairness my breasts themselves do not look like H's, they look like D or DD. It's because of how small my rib cage is. It also depends on where I get measured, so go figure) and they are already bigger and making those obnoxious stretch lines across my chest. So am I just not going to be able to find anything that actually fits right? Is there such a thing as fitting right when your stomach is constantly expanding? 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
  • @kerils If you go to Motherhood Maternity, they have a little faux bump pillow that will help you get an idea of what you are looking for. I went in with my mom before I was showing last time, told them I when I was due, and asked for help. They gave me a lot of good tips. I'm sure other maternity stores have similar things. It'll be you an idea of where to start. I was glad to have the stuff on hand, because I legitimately "popped" one day, and still had to go to work. I was glad I had clothes ready to go.
  • XathXath member
    edited December 2016
    @Xath I just took a leap joined stitch fix!  Delivery set for January 7.  I'm nervous and excited as I'm trying to hold out on buying anything until then - plus am trying to hide the pregnancy until February at work.  I have clothes from last pregnancy but I gained weight more quickly that time so am in an awkward phase right now.  Question for you: did you receive any maternity wear from them as yet?  How did it turn out?
    I did.  And I love it so far.  I've been wearing it all week.  Some is good for hiding the blump; other pieces flatter and make it look more bump-like.  

EtA: There are photos of what I got on page 1 of this thread.
  • Xath said:
    @Xath I just took a leap joined stitch fix!  Delivery set for January 7.  I'm nervous and excited as I'm trying to hold out on buying anything until then - plus am trying to hide the pregnancy until February at work.  I have clothes from last pregnancy but I gained weight more quickly that time so am in an awkward phase right now.  Question for you: did you receive any maternity wear from them as yet?  How did it turn out?
    I did.  And I love it so far.  I've been wearing it all week.  Some is good for hiding the blump; other pieces flatter and make it look more bump-like.  

EtA: There are photos of what I got on page 1 of this thread.
    Whoops!  Totally didn't look at the pieces when you posted before! I see now!
  • I read here that Motherhood Maternity is having a 50% off sale. Just bought a few things and this sale is incredible! 50% off of sale prices. I seriously just got 4 shirts and 3 dresses for $80, with free shipping. Thanks for the tip! 
  • @kerils Maternity clothes are weird. (Except maternity pants--those are incredible!!!!) A good chunk of tops are flowy in the stomach and have thin belts/ties that accentuate your stomach and really only look nice on certain people in certain stages of pregnancy. Sounds like you might be better off with the other popular kind of maternity shirt, which has rouching on both sides and maybe a bit of a tighter fit. I think those tend to look less "maternity like" but still accommodate a growing bump. We're still at kind of an odd stage for maternity shirts, but I'm sure once you pop you'll have a better idea of what looks good!
  • @kerils - I agree with @ljd2010 , I am smaller too, and I did better with the tighter more fitted shirts that stretched.  They were able to stretch as I got bigger, and they weren't as frumpy as the flowy tops on my small frame.  But also, you may be able to get away with wearing some of your pre-pregnancy jeans and t-shirts for a while still.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • ljd2010 said:
    @kerils Maternity clothes are weird. (Except maternity pants--those are incredible!!!!) A good chunk of tops are flowy in the stomach and have thin belts/ties that accentuate your stomach and really only look nice on certain people in certain stages of pregnancy. Sounds like you might be better off with the other popular kind of maternity shirt, which has rouching on both sides and maybe a bit of a tighter fit. I think those tend to look less "maternity like" but still accommodate a growing bump. We're still at kind of an odd stage for maternity shirts, but I'm sure once you pop you'll have a better idea of what looks good!
    Cosigning.  @kerils I don't think I got into real maternity tops until late second trimester last time.  Since I started off with a small frame and a narrow waist - a big chunk of my core was catching up to the thickness of my ribcage/hips, so I was able to fit under straight-fitting shirts and sweaters either at my same size or just one size up.  So in some regard you can buy a couple core pieces ahead of time, but probably want to wait on that belly to pop to figure out the rest and buy actual maternity.  A little frustrating I know!  I did flowy cardigans and wore my work jackets and blazers through the third trimester - I just left them hanging open and filled in the space with scarves 
  • Ok, I have a question for all other large-chested ladies...where do you get your bras? Last pregnancy I went from VS 36C to a Motherhood Maternity 36E and was comfortable and good to go.

Now that I'm heavier, I started feeling super uncomfortable in VS 38DD before my BFP, and the underwires were killing me. So now that they're getting bigger again, I went to MM to try some larger sizes on and I'm upset bc nothing seems comfortable. I need to be properly fitted and I would really prefer to just get nursing bras right away. Tips?
  • I was really unhappy with Motherhood's stuff the last time I wast pregnant. I felt like it was really thin and the wrap dresses showed bra and underwear lines. I loved my Gap pants and sweaters and my mom actually picked me up some great tops at Sears. This time around I'm hoping I won't need as much since it's only one baby instead of two and I'll be done teaching for the last month. I did go on Zullily and get some shorts, maxi dresses, and tank tops for summer on clearance ($5-10ea). Never having ordered from there, I'm a little apprehensive about quality, but we'll see .... question for stm, last pregnancy my belly button popped really early and looked ridiculous with any fitted tops .... it's already a little sore .... any solutions for hiding it that actually work?

@chiquita928 -- do you have a Nordstrom near you? I've heard they do great fittings and they probably sell nursing bras. If you plan on nursing, I'd just save the $$ and go directly to them

• @egm2015 Unfortunately Nordstrom is 45 miles away, but if that's my last resort, I'll go if I have to, lol.
  • Ok, I have a question for all other large-chested ladies...where do you get your bras? Last pregnancy I went from VS 36C to a Motherhood Maternity 36E and was comfortable and good to go.

Now that I'm heavier, I started feeling super uncomfortable in VS 38DD before my BFP, and the underwires were killing me. So now that they're getting bigger again, I went to MM to try some larger sizes on and I'm upset bc nothing seems comfortable. I need to be properly fitted and I would really prefer to just get nursing bras right away. Tips?
    I've always been boobzilla even before pregnancy. I'm a 36g pre and with DS I didn't expand much but Zulily had Hotmilk by motherhood maternity and I LOVE them.
  • @chiquita928  I started as a 32C with DS1 and never lost significant breast tissue between pregnancies, so I was a 32J by the end of my pregnancy with DS2 (currently a 32G/H but they're starting to grow again).  At a certain point retail stores aren't going to be able to help you beyond fittings.  If you have a good specialty bra shop, a Nordstrom, or an Intimacy near you, schedule a good fitting there.  I always like to buy at least 1 bra if they have it at the retail store, but once I get my measurements I buy cheaper supplemental bras online.

Dont buy too many bras at this stage of your pregnancy; your breast size may continue to change throughout.  I had the best luck waiting until baby was born and then getting fully sized for nursing bras once my milk had come in.  During the initial nursing stage I just had soft generic size night-nursing bras to get me through.

Most specialty bra stores will still cap out at H or I cup; some will go up to M. I visited a store that had nothing for me in stock, but they offered that if I bought a bra off of Amazon and brought it in, they'd still help me fit and adjust it.  

At a certain point it's cheaper to buy internationally and have things shipped to the US. US retailers (I'm looking at you Victoria Secret) carry a very small range of sizes and then train their retail staff incorrectly to fit people into a size that they carry.  Usually they'll up your band size until you fit into an AA-DD, even if that doesn't provide the support you need.  European retailers carry a much broader range of sizes, and typically for less money:  A G+ cup size bra in the US could run upwards of $80 in a US retail store.  The U.K. store Debenhams carries a variety for £15.  Even if you add international shipping, you can still save a lot.
  • @Xath @ashaw512 Thanks!  I found a specialty bra shop half an hour away, so I'll probably check that out first, to get measured.  Then I'll have a jumping off point.  With my last pregnancy, I gained ALL of my breast tissue in the first trimester.  Even at the height of nursing, I didn't need bigger ones, but we'll see this time. I just need to be comfortable.  I never minded buying more bras as long as they fit!  I have some soft general sized nursing bras, but I work in a high school, and I need a real bra or I'd feel way to exposed to my students.

Side note...this bra shop also does Bra Fitting Parties.  That's a THING?  They make a party for everything, now!
  • Any pantyhose recommendations? I like wearing skirts and dresses for work so I need a good amount of those... and the ones I got at pea in the pod (sized based on my weight and height, was not between sizes) are the worst! Super uncomfortable :/ go up to my bra line and that "waistband" is so tight, ugh 
  • @mj8215 I just wear the thigh highs that have like a four inch elastic band at the top. They stay up no matter what and leave my belly in peace!
  • I went to Burlington today and they didn't have a maternity section, but the Junior Plus section had SO MUCH cute stuff! I got a few chunky sweaters and lots of cute tshirts and tank tops that I can grow into my whole pregnancy (until summer of course). If you have a Burlington, get over there and grab some staples. 
  • optbaby2017optbaby2017 member
    edited January 2017
    @chiquita928  I am a 36F/G when not pregnant, so good bras have always been important.  I go to a boutique that has european lingerie and have found one brand (PrimaDonna) to fit me perfectly.  The shop also has a seamstress that makes adjustments for a lot of concerns, including turning regular bras into nursing bras. 

The shop is actually near where I grew up, and I now live several states away.  I make it a point to go whenever I am in town to visit family, and can order online or over the phone, too.  When it's time for my current bras to be altered, I'll mail them in.  If you sign up for their email list, they have sales every so often.  https://www.solgirl.com/

• Is it bad that I'm so jealous of the ladies with the overabundant boobs??  Not meaning to minimize the stress of finding comfortable bras...  My boobs got smaller with this pregnancy, like WTF.  Since, I was still nursing 10 times a day when I got my BFP and now down to twice a day after 2 months of weaning, they have only continued to get smaller...  This was supposed to be one of the major perks (!) of being pregnant.

So many were posting about the pea in the pod sale that I grabbed up a couple dresses and 3 cardigans last night (to replace my work jackets).  Major fail is that I bought one of their full priced dresses: fish, meet hook.