July 2017 Moms

Outings with 2 under 2

Will you mamas with 2 or more small children give me some opinions on regular outings with the littles and the gear I will need? 

I know we have awhile, I'm just working on my shopping list for large ticket items. I have a decent one-seater Maxicosi stroller and an Ergo carrier.

So, for outings, errands, and those early doc appts, does it make sense to put my toddler in the stroller and keep the newborn in the Ergo? Or is a double stroller kind of a necessity? 

My 15 month old is very independent and strong willed, so I'm totally nervous to have her unrestrained while I'm dealing with an infant...

Thanks!! 

Re: Outings with 2 under 2

• Good question, @mrscate88, definitely following too because my two will be about 21 months apart.  I love my ergo but it's definitely be nice to be able to put them both down for a bit so mama gets a break!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My biggest piece of advice is make the older child walk a lot, start right now. Get them used to not being held as often. I also wore my daughter in a moby wrap every time we went out and if it was a short errand DS walked. For doctors appointments he rode in a cheapie umbrella stroller. I've never owned a double stroller and probably won't buy one this time either. For grocery shopping I used a grocery cart hammock and that was a life saver.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Married: 05/26/2012

DS Born Happy and Healthy via C-section: 10/04/2013

Natural M/C: 07/08/2014

DD Born Happy and Healthy via Emergency C-section: 06/30/2015

BFP #4: 11/15/2016

EDD: 7/27/2017

• Loading the player...
  • Having an ergo is going to be a life saver! DS1 was 2.5 when DS2 was born, and though I used the moby during the infant stage (till about 3 months), the ergo was vital after that. Especially for grocery shopping! I would put my toddler in the seat area and then carry baby in the moby or ergo and still have room in the cart to put groceries. 

I didn't buy a double stroller, but did buy a sit-and-stand. I got the Joovy Ergo Caboose. My toddler sat in the back or could stand up if he wanted, and the baby was strapped in the car seat in the front when he was little, and then when he was large enough, he sat in the seat. That was a life saver for me, especially while traveling alone or doing the zoo or any outing alone because I could strap the kids in and know they were safe and right there. 
  • Mine were only a year apart to the week so a double stroller was a must. At doctors appointments or running certain errands where it's not possible to wear a baby it's a must plus it gives you an option for keeping both babies contained. You can have a child that walks like a dream but in parking lots and stores having both babies safely in a stroller is so nice - plus once they get older baby wearing is tough (I found it nice only the first couple months - my son got heavy, squirmy and it was tough to do my tasks, he seemed to get in the way, I remember not be able to vacuum or even push a cart after 3 months). 
  • Good question, @mrscate88, definitely following too because my two will be about 21 months apart.  I love my ergo but it's definitely be nice to be able to put them both down for a bit so mama gets a break!
    Yes, they will also be 21-ish months apart, and my daughter is a very headstrong little firecracker...so I'm scared!! Haha
  • @cssme13 good point, she doesn't do much walking when we're out. We've got some work to do. 

@supermom83 I will check out that stroller, thank you! 

@Dcwtada Just a year apart, man that's a lot of work! I do feel better about the idea of them both being safe and restrained when I'm out and alone. 

• For real I tried not going anywhere. 

Ok, ok, on a serious note. Going to the grocery store I took my cart covery and my Mei Tai Babyhawk (I can roll it up and put in in my diaper bag). If we went somewhere else I took my stroller, I have a Graco double Classic Connect? I think. I can't remember the name right now but I love it. Even if DD didn't ride in the stroller it was nice to have to put extra things in. Oh for dr appts, our don't usually take that long for a well baby check up so I take nothing but a diaper bag. I carry DS and DD walks, if it's a sick baby appt I do the same but stuff my Babyhawk in my diaper bag.
  • When you do your research into the Joovy strollers, there are actually two kinds for the sit-and-stand. I shamefully had both, lol, but I bought one from a consignment store for $50 so I'm not *that* unreasonable...or so I tell myself...lol

I'll list the reasons I bought both and their pros and cons:

The Joovy Ergo Caboose  
    -It's very heavy, hard to fold and get in and out of a car easily. That's the main reason I bought the Ultralight because I just didn't like how heavy the Ergo Caboose was.
    -It's very comfortable for both kids. It gave my active toddler freedom to stand and still be strollered around, or sit when he got tired.
    -Baby car seat straps in the back of the stroller so baby is close to Mom and easy to check on while pushing the stroller. This was the main reason I got this model first. You can strap in any kind of car seat, it's very versital and the stroller did its job very well. 

The Joovy Ultralight
    -MUCH lighter and easier to get in and out of the car
    -smaller than the Ergo Caboose which can be a positive sometimes and a negative sometimes 
    -Baby car seat would strap in the front of the stroller and your toddler would be in the back.

the reason I preferred the sit and stand strollers was because they were more streamlined. I didn't like the idea of having a side by side double stroller because they just seemed so huge and wide, how would I fit through aisles in stores or while traveling? I know many people love and swear by them, but I knew they were not for me and how I would be using strollers. The Joovy one is a front and back double stroller without having one kid be under another (like some doubles I've seen) I just preferred it but everybody is different so I encourage you to go and check all different kinds of strollers out yourself and see which one you prefer. Do you have a Buy Buy Baby near you? That will have all these strollers in store and you can test them out yourself. BRU didn't  have the Joovys on display when I was looking.

also, there's a website online that has video reviews of all strollers on the market and you can watch and see how each folds and unfolds and all the features. I encourage you to watch some to figure out what would suit your lifestyle! 

Good luck with your search! :)

• I baby wore and had my toddler in an umbrella stroller often especially for short trips. I did get a double stroller when I had my second and used it for places with more walking,  the mall, theme parks, long walks to the parks or around the neighborhood, or for shopping centers if I planned to go to multiple stores. I think it's worth getting one for sure. Why make your toddler walk if they are going to complain after while? While you are shopping a toddler gets bored standing around and mine would get into things or walk around, they loved hiding in clothes racks which freaks mommy out. Having a double stroller saved me...keep snacks and they'll sit and munch while you get things done.  Make your life easy and keep everyone happy is what worked for me. 

Yes, at times I made my older one walk, but I don't think that's realistic if they are under 4 if it's not a quick errand. 
  • For real I tried not going anywhere. 

Ok, ok, on a serious note. Going to the grocery store I took my cart covery and my Mei Tai Babyhawk (I can roll it up and put in in my diaper bag). If we went somewhere else I took my stroller, I have a Graco double Classic Connect? I think. I can't remember the name right now but I love it. Even if DD didn't ride in the stroller it was nice to have to put extra things in. Oh for dr appts, our don't usually take that long for a well baby check up so I take nothing but a diaper bag. I carry DS and DD walks, if it's a sick baby appt I do the same but stuff my Babyhawk in my diaper bag.
    I agree with not going anywhere haha! Thanks for the input, I'm so intimidated by the double stroller but I might have to get over that. 
  • @supermom83 Yes we have a buy buy baby nearby so I will check it out! Thanks for the pros and cons of each. The lightweight one sounds ideal. 
  • @Pricelessmommy3 I'm thinking a double stroller might be a necessity for us too, I walk a lot for exercise, and I love baby wearing but I don't want to HAVE to always wear the baby, especially if I'm out for a long day of errands or play...thanks for your input! 
  • Another thing to think about-- we didn't get our double stroller for a few months after #2 was born. That way we were able to sit both kids in it and really see how they fit and worked for all of us. We went with the city mini double after lots of tries. 
  • @mrscate88 I have a firecracker too- we shall overcome, haha!

I'm leaning towards the double BOB since I run and go to a mom fitness class.  I have a cheapo umbrella stroller for DD so I'll likely use that and the ergo for quick errands.  I wish I had a reason to justify the Britax B-Ready, I think that double looks so amazing!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Cait32 I'm not sure how that one is configured but we tried tandem style strollers and with the larger child in front it was way more difficult to turn than a side by side. My kids were 2.5 yrs apart. We also found the seats in the front were much smaller than the back seat, but we wanted my toddler to be in front as the back seat was usually that one that reclined a good amount for a sleeping baby. They may be different now, that was five years ago. We ended up going with a side by side and have loved it.
    hindsight, I wish I got a really good quality umbrella stroller with my first and one of those stroller frames for the small time they are in the infant seat. Then with #2 a good double stroller and be set stroller wise for the rest of my babies. I have 3 and this will be my 4th. We've gotten rid of a couple strollers since baby #1.
  • @Cait32 I do not but I have several friends who bought it as a single and then had the doubles kit for when the next kid came.  Lucie's List has a great video comparison of the three big convertible strollers (Uppa baby vista, city select, and B-Ready) so you might check that out!  If you want 3-4 quickly then I'd also consider adding the roller board or a scooter attachment for the back so that you can use it for 3 kids.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I need to read this, I will have 2 under 2 feel like it will be stressful to go anywhere without DH, who is always working!!!! 
  • LoveLee85 said:
    I need to read this, I will have 2 under 2 feel like it will be stressful to go anywhere without DH, who is always working!!!! 
    My husband works and goes to school too, so I do everything alone (no family in the state)...which is fine most of the time. But with 2, I'm totally freaked! 
  • Adding that I ran to Burlington today and there happened to be a few Graco double strollers on display. I pushed them around for a bit and they weren't nearly as intimidating as I expected! Still gonna shop around, but I'm feeling more confident now. 
  • I guess I should add that I have never gone shopping with both kids to stores that don't have carts accessible without DH. I know that it would stress me out so I don't bother. It may not be an option for some moms to do that but I live in a small town so there's not many places to go. 

• We used our double stroller a lot for 2 full years. I baby wear a lot but for longer outings it certain places like the zoo I'd use the stroller. I also used it if I needed them restrained for something like a doctor's appointment for me. I also used it to work out when the baby got older. I wouldn't have wanted to wear her while jogging or anything like that. I know lots of people get away without a double but it was great for us. We even brought it to Disney this year and my older one was almost 5.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Mine were 17 months apart. I had a double stroller, but that was only used for long walks. When I had to run errands/dr appointments I wore the baby in my ergo and made my toddler walk and hold my hand. I rarely used the stroller, especially if it was a grocery store outing (stick the toddler in the shopping cart)
    married 7.18.12   DS1 4.29.13   EDD 11.23.14

my happy boy

• I have never had a peek heat summer infant before, but for other moms did you really wear your infant when it was so hot out all the time? Not that I plan on being out in the heat with an infant and toddler a lot, but it will be unavoidable at times. I actually only plan on wearing this infant indoors around the house in the AC, or to quick grocery store runs. I'm talking it's always 90's with full on humidity, aka miserable. 

We go on walks a lot around here and there is no way I'm wearing baby for that. lol I'm looking to pick up a BOB double jogging stroller. 

For summer play, I have shade trees and plan on having baby in a basket in the shade while 21/22 month old plays with water table in the shade or on a little play set. I'm already stressing about the heat! Lol 
  • This thread is giving me anxiety. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • This thread is giving me anxiety. 
    It's seriously not as bad as it sounds. Everyone told me I'd lose my mind and not be able to function with two but it's not near as bad as everyone made it out to be. Yes there are some days where we don't get anything done and pajamas stay on all day but for the most part we figured out our routine and are totally fine. 

• @dancegurl1118 it really wasn't that bad getting them out of the house. We went out every day from about 2 weeks on. Baby wearing is a life saver, but in general the newborn was pretty portable. It's much harder now that they are 3 and 5 with opinions lol.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @LoveLee85 I wore during the summer with both babies. They make some carriers that are specifically cooler. I had a linen ring sling that they didn't get too hot in. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Haha, thanks guys. I'm sweating over here thinking about leaving the house with both!
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Haha, thanks guys. I'm sweating over here thinking about leaving the house with both!
    It definitely gets harder when they are older and more opinionated like @nikkiandchris said but it's still not a huge deal. I have major anxiety issues and I'm able to take both out together without freaking out so if I can do it I think most people can haha.

• @LoveLee85 I did not get hot, but I also have a high tolerance for heat.  There are better carriers for the summer for sure - no to the Ergo.  There was a baby carriers thread that had a bunch of recommendations- I will try to find it.  The ring sling in cotton fabric is great for the infant phase.
  • So, tangential, but this seems the best place to put this...any suggestions on strollers for 3 under 2??? Feeling a little overwhelmed...
    Married 25 May, 2013
    William Alexander born 18 September, 2015
    Harper Grace born 9 June, 2017
    Colton Miles born 9 June, 2017
    Bowen James due 19 June, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • ktewart said:
    So, tangential, but this seems the best place to put this...any suggestions on strollers for 3 under 2??? Feeling a little overwhelmed...
    I'm overwhelmed for you! But I will ask my friend who has baby triplets what they use and get back to you. 
  • ktewart said:
    So, tangential, but this seems the best place to put this...any suggestions on strollers for 3 under 2??? Feeling a little overwhelmed...
    Can you get an in-line double and add a roller board or scooter to the back for your toddler?  They make little tricycles that attach to the back of most strollers, I've seen them on Amazon.  You could also get a side by side double and add a Joey seat for the older one!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • ktewart said:
    No experience with this - but babywear 1 and push 2???
  • ktewart said:
    Okay, my friend with triplets said she tries not to venture out with the 3 if she can avoid it. In fact, they are 7 months old and she has never gone anywhere except for someone's home if she was alone with the 3 babes (she's a lucky lady)! But she said she does have a double stroller and two Ergo carriers. She also said there are tons of 'moms of multiples' groups on Facebook that were super helpful to her. 
  • I'm less anxious about the getting out part, and more about the investment in the right double stroller (or not) that will best meet our needs. I tend to make due, and I have a feeling that I will cheap out and make life harder than it needs to be. We are city dwellers (no car, never in them), so for now I am planning just to use the Ergo and the stroller that we have. Maybe I will set some money aside each month so it won't feel like such a big purchase if we get to the point where we obviously need it.

Tl;dr - I'm having that anxiety that comes from too many options. And sticker shock. 
  • @virginiaunicorn11 I know a couple city mamas who love the Phil and Ted or City Select inline double strollers. The side by side are tough in tight spaces like small city stores/ restaurants. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @ktewart I have a friend who had the double bob with a jump seat out in front. I imagine they make them for other side by side doubles too. Looked a little funny but everyone was happy. I know there are times I'd just want all 3 restrained somehow lol.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • *dirty lurker*
    @ktewart
    my twins are 13 months and will be 20 months when little one arrives.    I am going to encourage them to walk *but they will ride in double stroller and I will wear the new baby for long trips.   Also I wore my twins in a k'tan at the same time for a few months.    When I went to the doctor and such.   It was just easier than pulling out the stroller when they were so small.   
  • @ktewart just saw a triple stroller (joovy, two seats and standing board) on new haven Craigslist selling from Milford for $120