June 2017 Moms

Baby Gear You Actually Used

Re: Baby Gear You Actually Used

• Just a word about baby carriers, they are amazing, but do a bit of research and/or try them out before buying. I bought an Ergo and never use it because it is too big for me. I have a SSC boba and love it, they are not one size fits all, but there are plenty of quality carriers that you will be able to find one that fits you!
  • So the lesson is: everyone is different and there is no magic list!! Lol! One person loves the rock n play to which the next person doesn't, etc. 

Trial and error. 

I tell everyone who is going to have a shower, register for a variety and see what works best for you. 

If you are not, get favorites from friends and family willing to hand me down and thrift shop a variety of recommendations at mom to mom sales. 
  • Loading the player...
  • We're minimalist and kept things simple:

- Boba wrap for newborn (amazingly comfortable and supremely helpful)
     - Boba Carrier 4G for the rest of the time
     - Clothe diapers
     - Carseat
     - Crib with one side removed, used as a sidecar co-sleeper
     - Electric double breast pump purchased after discovering a tongue/lip tie which had reduced her intake, and my supply suffered. We used the pump to increase supply and get her some extra milk while also supplementing with formula for a limited time.

That, truly was ALL of our gear.
  • Swaddle me
    swaddle blankets a+a
    mam paci
    baby carrier
    swing
    bouncer
  • I highly recommend the "Ollie" swaddle if you enjoy sleep at all :) 
  • The one thing I didn't buy was a changing table, and I wish I had. We ended up using a cheap Ikea table, which meant bending over all the time to change her. I'm getting one this time.
    Me: 35 | DH: 46
    MMC: 09/13 (9 weeks)
    DD: Born 8/22/14
    Babies #2 & 3: Due dates 6/9/17
    And my other love: writing
  • tosh24tosh24 member
    edited November 2016
    Used:
    - Infant car seat (+ stroller/travel system)
    - Car seat cover (that fits over top of the car seat in cold weather)
    - Moby (my SAVIOUR!)
    - Swing 
    - Pack 'n Play (used this on the main floor for changing and naps during the day for the first few months so me
       and my sore vag didn't have to keep walking upstairs)
    - sleep sacks
    - millions and millions of baby washcloths, pretty much for everything
    - Sit and stand stroller with #2
    - Exersaucer 
    - Jolly Jumper (the one that hooks onto door frames)
    - Diaper bag
    - blankets for swaddling 
    - 2nd car seat base
    - NoseFrida
    - Activity/play mat
    - Glider

Didn't Use:
    - Baby bathtub
    - Crib (for first 6 months - we co-slept)
    - Pacifiers
    - Bottles

ETA: more things

Me: 35 I DH: 38
    *TW loss and children mentioned*
    DD:2006 | Dx: Unexplained Secondary Infertility | DS: 2011

TFAS since 2012

Oct 16: Spontaneous BFP | m/c @ 9w1d (massive SCH) | D&C
    Apr 17: IUI #1 = BFN
    May 17: IUI #2 = BFN
    Jun 17: IUI #3 = Late BFP (18 DPO) | NMC 17Jul17 @ ~6w
    Aug 17: IUI #4 = Cancelled due to premature ovulation | TI = BFN
    Sep 17: IUI #5 = Cancelled due to overstimulation (10+ follies)
    Nov 17: IVF #1 = Cancelled due to non-IF related health issue | TI = BFN
    Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
    Feb 18: FET #1 (medicated) = BFN
    Mar 18: FET #2 (natural cycle) = CP (beta 1: 54; beta 2: 0)
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = cancelled due to missed ovulation
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!
    EDD: 07Jan2019 Team Green
    My Rainbow Baby Boy born 03Jan2019 <3 

• A video baby monitor! We use ours all the time. 
    A baby carrier, I used a boba up until he was able to sit and then we use an ergo now.
    Jogging stroller, I use mine all the time and it really helps you lose weight and stay motivated.
    A good car seat, make sure you find one that works with your car and how you use it.
    A functional diaper bag. I bought a cute Petunia Pickle and while I love how it looks it's useless!
    Common sense and flexibility! Find what works for you!

• Anyone have recommendations for diaper bags they love? I used a skip hop backpack with my first but I hate it! I know Ill need something bigger with a 20 month old and newborn. 
  • Allybiery said:
    Anyone have recommendations for diaper bags they love? I used a skip hop backpack with my first but I hate it! I know Ill need something bigger with a 20 month old and newborn. 
    Vera Bradley Backpack! I wrote more somewhere in this thread. It's the best!
  • @Allybiery  We got the DadGear Backpack Diaper Bag when we had 2 in diapers and it was great.  

https://www.dadgear.com/product-category/dad-diaper-backpack/
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @Allybiery, I picked up a Kate Spade diaper bag during one of their secret sales. Still love it. Actually, I just got a compliment on it today. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • For us, the swing was a total life saver. DD would be crying for hours and hours, not wanting anything to do with anything, until we'd put her in the swing. Instant smiles. Very glad we got one, it was soooo worth the money even if we did buy new. 

Another amazing thing for us was the Sit-Me-Up seat. She used it all the time! Even after she didnt really need it anymore, she just used it in the tub instead. Makes for a nice transition from infant tub to big tub, with a safe way to sit up!

And definitely, get a baby carrier. It just helps so much when theyre being extra clingy and you just need to get shit done. 

I dont recommend a video monitor myself, or at least the ones that connect through internet. Theres been a lot of safety issues with them, like people can get in and watch your little one, on some systems even talk to them.. no thanks. Yikes. Our audio only monitor has served us just fine, and was loads cheaper.

Another thing we didnt use at all was the wipe warmer we were gifted. If anything, it just made her more upset when we were out and about and the wipes were cold. Few days without it, she got used to them not being warmed up, no big deal.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Swing.
    swaddles. 
    Bouncy seat: this one saved my life and let me take showers. 
    Baby carrier. 
    I had a boppy pillow but honestly only used it to sit on while my episiotomy healed. 

If I had to choose just one? Baby carrier, hands down. 
    If you can get a used boppy, it was amazing for this.  

We used the Rock N Play, swing, bouncy seat, and moby wrap, (DS needed to be held alot, and this helped).  I second the tots bots diapers if you're planning to use cloth, those and swaddlebees simplex were my favorites.  

We had received a lot of Dr. Brown's bottles at my shower, but I hated them.  All the pieces were so annoying to clean.  I switched to the avent born free and loved them much more (we used the glass ones).

I also had a beco butterfly as a more solid sided baby carrier.  I used the moby around the house, or if I was going somewhere with a lot of sitting (ie church) but the beco for walks, shopping, etc because it was much easier to get on.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Oh, we didn't buy a dedicated changing table, but we did create a changing space on the top of the 6-drawer dresser in baby's room - about the same height, but less furniture used.  We used the top 2 drawers for backup necessary diaper supplies, and had a basket on top with diaper cream, wipes, etc within easy reach.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Swaddle Me swaddles were great. We didn't have anything at the hospital, and the blankets just didn't work. 

Swing- my DS LOVED his swing. I know this is not the case for all. We got a Fisher Price for about $100 from Wal-Mart. 

Arms Reach CoSleeper- fantastic to have him close to my for nursing all night long. He stayed in it for about 5 months before moving to his crib. 
    Married my best friend May 24, 2008
    BFP #1 9/1/11, EDD 5/15/12, Missed M/C at 9w4d, discovered at 11w3d, D&C 11/2/11
    BFP #2 6/20/12, Baby Boy born 3/2/13
    BFP #3 October 2016, EDD 6/11/17
  • slssls member
    edited December 2016
    Question for you guys about the Moby wrap. I absolutely loved it... for about 15 minutes and then I got super sweaty and overheated. How do you prevent that? I even tried to wear just my bra and DD in the Moby around the house once and I still got overheated. She was a little furnace!

Edited because autocorrect keeps doing something special with "DD." No, I did not wear my father around the house...
  • @sls when was DD born?  I had DS in December, so I didn't have too much of an issue with overheating, in the winter in New England.  There are also similar styles from different brands made with a more breathable fabric, which I am looking into for this baby.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • An audio and video monitor are great. 
    I liked and used my travel system with a car seat and stroller. 
    A baby carrier. That one is more of a personal choice on which one works for you.
    Swings and bouncers can be tricky. I do recommend either one or both. But it depends if your baby has a preference for one or the other. Some babies love the swing and hate the bouncer, or vice versa. Save your receipts on these for sure.
    Activity mats are great for tummy time, and are great for early motor skills.
  • Changing table- we used a pad on top of her dresser, we're just buying little roll up mats this time because we have a 2 story house now
    Crib- never used it
    bassinet- we used a mini pack n play next to our bed for the first 3 months, then we ended up cosleeping
    Rocker- loved our old wooden rocker, even used it during labor, wish we had room for a glider too though
    Carrier- loved our ergo #1 most used thing. Didn't use it until 6 months though. We got a ktan this time for newborn days 
    Stroller- I'm not a huge stroller fan really. We have a Chicco lite away from dd that was nice because it's an umbrella stroller that your bucket seat snaps into. We recently got a bob too because now we live in the country and there isn't much sidewalk in our neighborhood
    carseat- we had a Chicco key fit for dd (best bucket seat in my opinion) but it always stayed in the car so this time we're going straight to a convertible
    Diapers- cloth cause I'm cheap lol we used all bum genius freetimes because they were so easy for dh and I had never changed a cloth diaper and didn't have any help either. They didn't fit for 4 months though. This time we added in prefolds, fitteds, and covers for newborn days
    wipes- baby wash cloths, easier with cloth diapers
    Diaper bag- just used a big purse and was totally fine with it. I'm splurging for a nice diaper bag this time though
    Nursing pillow- boppy pillow, even if you don't plan on nursing at all get one, my dd hung out on it all the time. I have to buy another one because dd just found it and sleeps with it now. She and dh fight for it
  • @awillis13 She was born Aug 22, so the newborn stage was early fall. When I walked outside, it was fine, but anytime I used it indoors, phew.
  • After 16 months with my first I still hate my diaper bag. If you ladies have specific diaper bag suggestions (possibly back pack) please include them!
  • onaed said:
    After 16 months with my first I still hate my diaper bag. If you ladies have specific diaper bag suggestions (possibly back pack) please include them!
    We have the DadGear backpack, which was big enough for 2 in cloth diapers.  https://www.dadgear.com/product/diaper-backpack-basic-black/
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • mrtmrt member
    I recently bought the New Day Tote from Thirty One and I love it. The diaper bag I had for my first was too small for the cloth diapers we used, and I could never zip it. We're not doing cloth diapers anymore, but it would have been great. It has lots of pockets inside and out, and I just put a fold up may inside to use for diaper changes.
  • Vera Bradley backpack. Bonus b/c it's machine washable. Doesn't even have to be a designated "diaper bag" version.

I add a washable changing pad but also disposable changing pads (get them in bulk at BRU)  b/c I'm a germaphobe and don't like to put the pad down on those public restroom changing tables and then put it back in my bag.
  • Has anyone seen the Coco and kiwi diaper bags?  That's what I'm planning on getting. It's cute and I like that it has a built in wet bag. I don't carry a lot in my bag so I like that it's not huge and it can turn into a backpack too. 
  • obviously car seat, stroller, mamaroo, Moby wrap, ergo, girasol wrap, high chair, manual breast pump (barely touched the fancy electric one).
  • Vera Bradley backpack. Bonus b/c it's machine washable. Doesn't even have to be a designated "diaper bag" version.
    I have a Vera Bradley backpack that my MIL bought for me over a year ago and I haven't used it. I'm so glad I checked this thread because now it seems like I'll have a use for it! Thank you!
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20
  • onaed said:
    After 16 months with my first I still hate my diaper bag. If you ladies have specific diaper bag suggestions (possibly back pack) please include them!
    I have a Petunia picklebottom diaper bag.  I heard good things about JuJuBe backpack style diaper bags.
  • I had a skip hop one last time, that worked well. Then, some food fell in it (toddlers) and it got moldy so I tossed it. This time I think I will splurge for the Petunia pickle bottom. I really love the cold out changing pad! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • onaed said:
    I have a Petunia picklebottom diaper bag.  I heard good things about JuJuBe backpack style diaper bags.
    I also have the Petunia Picklebottom bag, which can be a backpack (I use the backpack, DH uses the shoulder strap). It was a hand-me-down. When LO was about 6 months old, we just started using regular backpacks instead of the diaper bag. 
  • I loved my Petunia Picklebottom bag that I got with DD. I hear they're expensive though. Mine was a hand-me-down

• I'm going to add something to my earlier list. I used the Boppy pillow for myself. I had a third degree tear and tons of stitches. Sitting was uncomfortable for about three weeks so I sat on the Boppy. 
  • edited March 2017
    Must haves for me:

Rock n play
    Pack n Play
    Sound machine
    Video monitor
    Nosefrida
    Baby carrier
    Swaddle blankets
    Boppy
    Baby Bathtub 
    Infant carrier, plus stroller adapter 
    Stokke Stroller (I stalked craigslist and got a great used Stokke cheaper than any other travel system it was great for me because I am tall and loved having my son up close.)
    Jumparoo
    Tummy time mat with toy and mirror attachment
    Kick n play piano
    Baby walker that is pushed, not the one they sit in.
    Leap Frog Table

Forgot to add: 
    Gerber Cloth diapers to use as burp cloths 

~Declare it..Claim it..It will be!!~

5/9/09
    Lilypie - Personal picture 

Here We Go Again!!

• I am so excited ordered our rock n play today. Amazon had some amazing deals going on.