January 2017 Moms
Options

New Traditions

Anyone starting (or reviving) family traditions with this LO? I'm thinking about writing a journal to my kids this year for them to have when they get older. Also, I gave up needlework years ago, but lately I've been thinking about what a waste it is to know how to do it and never make anything for them. 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: New Traditions

• Options
    canavaracanavara member
    edited December 2016
    I've been writing to my son throughout this pregnancy and hope to continue once he's born: https://tinyhumanletters.tumblr.com/

This is our first so I imagine everything is about to be a new tradition, especially around holidays :)
  • Options
    @canavara those letters are so sweet. I didn't read the entire thing but chose a few paragraphs here and there, but it is sincerely the most precious thing ever and I hope your little one will appreciate it so much when he's older.

As for us first time parents, we can't wait to start our own traditions! Still really not sure what though, but things like ALWAYS having a camping trip in the summer (maybe we can have our own family spot we always go to), or re-gifting the same ugly fruit cake every year for Christmas to someone in the family lol. Each year it's just passed on and on. Did you know they last like 25 years?!? 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've been trying to come with a special tradition for this LO like I have with DD1 but I haven't figured it out yet. Every Christmas, Easter, and birthday, DD1 gets a new Disney blu-ray. Well she's five so you can do the math as to how many she has. I want to come up with something for DD2 but haven't yet.
    She also gets a new Disney Hallmark Christmas ornament every year in her stocking. DD2 will get one each year as well.
    DD1: EDD 12/21/11 - Born 11/24/11 at 36w1d
    DD2: EDD 1/16/17 - Born 1/12/17 at 39w3d
  • Options
    I'm going to start an email address for the baby so hubby & I can send notes/pics/memories to the baby until he's old enough to get the password! 
  • Options
    My family always bought a new ornament every year for me and my sister. We'd add it the week of Christmas. We got one for the whole family and one for DS. Well get her 1st one next year :) another tradition is to open a present in Christmas Eve. Usually it's a book or movie when we were little and then we got to choose as we got older. I'm not sure we'll do that this year with DS though.

• Options
    jmuteachjmuteach member
    edited December 2016
    **Removed for TOU violation**
  • Options
    Just an FYI, some email hosts "have the right" to deactivate email accounts that haven't been logged in to for a certain amount of time. So if you are creating an email for LO, make sure to log in to it every so often!
    DD1: EDD 12/21/11 - Born 11/24/11 at 36w1d
    DD2: EDD 1/16/17 - Born 1/12/17 at 39w3d
  • Options
    @canavara I love your letters to your baby! I just read the one about visiting Chicago, and wanted to say that my husband and I also saw Sigur Ros with baby ("Monk") in utero, earlier this fall. It was such a special experience, both because Monk was moving like crazy - probably due to the loud noise - and because Sigur Ros was one of the first bands my husband and I listened to when we were first dating. 

As for our traditions, DH loves to bake, so we'll probably try to make a yule log for each Christmas. And the other family tradition we'll be carrying on: having each family member recite a poem on Christmas Eve in order to receive his/her presents. (It's something my mom always had us do, and I've grown to love it.)