May 2017 Moms
Options

GTKY: Books

nda_roxybabenda_roxybabe member
edited December 2016 in May 2017 Moms
@Sls post got me thinking I could use some new book suggestions and this would be a fun way to find out more about all of you.

Favorite book(s):
Favorite genre:
Least favorite genre or things you stray away from:
Favorite book quote:
Pregnancy/Parenting/Baby book recommendations:
What kind of reader are you? (e.g. "I hate reading", "I read all the time")

Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry

Re: GTKY: Books

• Options
    Going to follow this for some inspiration. With the light at the end of the grad school tunnel I'm hoping to do more reading this summer - you know in all my spare time ;).  I'll think of some decent answers and come back in a bit - sounds too hard right now on mobile!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    MoshiMoshi7MoshiMoshi7 member
    edited December 2016
    Favorite book(s): To Kill a Mockingbird, The Art of Racing in the Rain, Harry Potter, A Court of Thorns and Roses Series, The Carcher in the Rye
    Favorite genre: I read things from all genres depending on what type of read I'm in the mood for.
    Least favorite genre or things you stray away from: I've never really gotten into deep genre Sci fi.
    Favorite book quote: I have a weird obsession with collecting literary quotes and there are a ton that I love. One that helped me put this year into perspective I'd from Neil Gaiman. "It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history were caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by being fundamentally people."
    Pregnancy/Parenting/Baby book recommendations: As much as I read, I only read one pregnancy book and hated it. So no recommendations here.
    What kind of reader are you? (e.g. "I hate reading", "I read all the time") Voracious. I read all the time and usually prefer it to watching TV.

Eta because the bump keeps eating my answers.
  • Options
    @MoshiMoshi7 The Art of Racing in the Rain has been on my to read list forever. I should probably just do it.
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Options
    Favorite book(s): Harry Potter, To Kill a Mockingbird, Time Traveler's Wife, GoT books (but holy long!)
    Genre: Mostly anything except non-fiction

I can't recall which pregnancy books I read when I was pregnant with DD.  In general, I haven't had time to read much since DD was born.  I'm hoping to pick up the pace a bit before this kid comes along.

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Options
    @nda_roxybabe beware...if you're an animal lover (or probably even if you're not) it's a tear jerker. But I loved it!
  • Options
    @MoshiMoshi7 The Art of Racing in the Rain has been on my to read list forever. I should probably just do it.
    Oh @nda_roxybabe it's SO good! But be prepared for tears. If you're a dog lover (or even if not probably), I would also recommend The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. Heart wrenching in a good way
  • Options
    Oh @nda_roxybabe it's SO good! But be prepared for tears. If you're a dog lover (or even if not probably), I would also recommend The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. Heart wrenching in a good way
    Oh boy. This will have me put it off longer, I'll have to be in the mood for a cry. Speaking of crying, I love Nicholas Sparks books.
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Options
    MoshiMoshi7MoshiMoshi7 member
    edited December 2016
    @ShadeofGreen816 I loved Edgar Sawtelle too! So good.

Eta: wrong tag
  • Options
    @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot I loved Edgar Sawtelle too! So good.
    That was @ShadeofGreen816.  But I loved it too! I forgot about that one.

Also, @nda_roxybabe, FFFC is that I enjoy a good NS romance here and there too.

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Options
    @nda_roxybabe I definitely still have a place in my heart for a Nicholas Sparks book here and there. I really liked a Bend in the Road way back in the day.
  • Options
    Favorite book(s): here we go! Harry Potter and GoT series. Anything by Jane Austen, Jon Krakauer, or Bill Bryson. Also on my list of books I love to re-read: The Martian by Andy Weir, The Chrysalids by John Wyndham (awesome dystopian/science fiction book), The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver, World War Z by Max Brooks, Gorillas in the Mist by Farley Mowat, and The Giver by Lois Lowry.

Favorite genre: I have a few. I love the classics, dystopian, and books that can teach me something and make me laugh at the same time (A Short History of Nearly Everything and A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson, What If? by Randall Munroe).

Least favorite genre or things you stray away from: horror (gives me nightmares), and most biographies - with the exception of Scrappy Little Nobody by Anna Kendrick. She's hilarious.

Favorite book quote: I'll have to think on this one...

Pregnancy/Parenting/Baby book recommendations: I have nothing to share, but would love to hear what you guys recommend. 

What kind of reader are you? (e.g. "I hate reading", "I read all the time") I always have a few books on the go. I read quickly so I re-read a lot of my favourites and am always looking for new recommendations. 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Favorite book(s): How do you narrow it down?? Love the new Cormoran Strike series by J.K. Rowling. I've read a couple from Gillian Flynn that I really enjoyed - Gone Girl and Dark Places. From my high school/college days, I loved Harry Potter and the Sookie Stackhouse series. For any Sookie fans, Nicole Peeler has a fun little series starting with Tempest Rising. I'm currently in the middle of the Dragonriders of Pern, which is a massive 20-something collection. Siddhartha also had a major impact on me back in the day. There's too many!
    Favorite genre: Sci-fi/fantasy, mystery/thriller, and a good romance now and again
    Least favorite genre or things you stray away from: Like @nda_roxybabe, I generally stay away from things that are too real. Reading is a magical place, and I like to go somewhere I haven't been before.
    Favorite book quote: This is the only thing I could think of, and it's kind of a cheat. "To live would be an awfully big adventure" is from the movie Hook, but I really enjoy it. Every time I remember it, it makes me think about my life and how I'm spending my time. The real quote is actually from Peter Pan - "to die would be an awfully big adventure". Side note, but I've always felt like Peter Pan is such a sad concept...this "boy" who can't face reality, so he's perpetually in a state of adolescent purgatory.
    What kind of reader are you? I usually have a couple books going at once. Sometimes I'll get a book that I literally can't put down and I finish it in 2 days. Otherwise, I have some in different genres that I'll pop back and forth between depending on my mood.
  • Options
    OmegaRose3OmegaRose3 member
    edited December 2016
    Favorite Book(s): Dean Koontz Frankestein series, Heart Shaped Box, Light on Snow, Drowning Ruth, To Kill A Moking Bird, Midwives
    Favorite Genre: Sci-Fi, horror, fiction
    Least favorite genre or things you stray away from: Harlequin Romancy shit cough*cough* 50 shades...anything with Fabio or scantily clad women on the front
    Favorite Book Quote: "People who were perfectly sane on Tuesday sometimes go nuts on Wednesday" Prodigal Son
    Pregnancy/Parenting/Baby book recommendations: Never read any...
    What kind of reader are you? Reading is one of my greatest loves in life, I wish I hadn't fallen put of the habit so much since DD was born

ETA: I forgot that I love Lucky by Alice Seabold
  • Options
    @OmegaRose3. I love The Lovely Bones too. So eerie. 

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Options
    Favorite book(s): Kite Runner, Bel Canto, anything by Jhumpa Lahiri, A Long Walk to Water

Favorite genre: Realistic Fiction 

Least favorite genre or things you stray away from: Sci Fi

Favorite book quote: None come to mind in particular. 

Pregnancy/Parenting/Baby book recommendations: The Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy- This was a funny, but seriously helpful book. I highly recommend it. 

What kind of reader are you? I read a lot because I teach English. I find that I don't read as much in my free time because I'm always reading in school. (I have a lot of great YA recommendations if you need them!)
    May Siggy Challenge: Labor Memes

Me:31 DH:32 Married 11/06/10
    DD: Born 8/23/13 (clomid+ovidrel+IUI)
    BFP 9/9/16 EDD 5/19/17

• Options
    @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot if you haven't read Lucky, you need too! It's crushing, but it's worth the read. I love her writing style so much, The Lovely Bones is wonderful.

Another good author is Joshilyn Jackson, my favorites are Gods In Alabama and The Girl Who Stopped Swimming
  • Options
    Since my app/phone is being stupid and. It letting me copy/paste the questions, let's see how this goes...

Favorite book: there are waaaaaay to many to list! Love The Hunger Games, Nicholas Sparks (pretty sure I've read all and we have all of them), Dean Koontz, Marissa Myers - The Luna Chronicles (different take on Disney orincessss, its prettt cool what she did. Going to start her new series that's set within wonderland I believe.), John Green - love love love Looking for Alaska, but the other way are good too, Mortal Instruments series, Harry Potter...I know there are others haha but that's what I can thinking now!

Favorite genre: pretty open, but I like dystopian types, YA even though I'm probably too old for it haha but I just love getting lost in books and I think they do a good job. 

Least favorite: self help...as much as they do/can help people I just can't get into them. I have a few, but there are job related leadership type ones. I like to go to a new place when I read books and those don't quite do it for me. 

Quote: I love quotes! "I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once." Hazel from The Fault in Our Stars by john Green. "Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn the light on." Dumbledore in Harry Potter Prisoner of Azkaban. 

Prefnancy books: a friend gave me one, but I've only skimmed some of it. H has listened to one that he really liked and then told me everything each night after work. 

What kind if reader are you: I read for fun and to escape this crazy thing we all life! I haven't read as much as I used to because, well, I fall asleep so early and if I read I know I'll be out! Haha trying to read more though and listen to audiobooks on my hour drive to and from work. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     "A day without laughter is a day wasted." ~Charlie Chaplin
  • Options
    slssls member
    edited December 2016
    Favorite book(s): 

Me, whenever anyone asks this question: "HERE IS A LINK TO MY FAVORITES SHELF ON GOODREADS THERE ARE ONLY 82 BOOKS ON THERE TO BROWSE WHAT DO YOU MEAN THAT'S TOO MANY"

K, fine:
    Choke by Chuck Palahniuk (Runner-up: Fight Club) - Bizarre contemporary
    The Siren by Tiffany Reisz - Erotic romance
    The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov - Sci-fi
    Titus Andronicus by William Shakespeare - Historical, I guess?
    Everything ever written by Ania Ahlborn - Horror

Favorite genre:

If I had to pick one, I can never get enough of far future / space science fiction, but that's probably my own fault. More often than not, I go looking for it and end up reading something else.

Least favorite genre or things you stray away from:

Non-fiction, unless it's a self-help book, and classics. I tried to read Les Miserables this year and made it halfway through. But at least I made it that far! I'll probably try to finish it in 2017. I also don't like YA--I like gritty adult themes, rather than coming-of-age.

Favorite book quote:

From Titus Andronicus, I present Shakespeare's your mom joke. Chiron and Demetrius have just discovered that Aaron the Moor has been sleeping with their mother, the queen, and she has given birth to his baby.

DEMETRIUS Villain, what hast thou done?
    AARON That which thou canst not undo.
    CHIRON Thou hast undone our mother.
    AARON Villain, I have done thy mother.

Pregnancy/Parenting/Baby book recommendations

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin - I was one of those women afraid of childbirth. This calmed me down and got me looking forward (if somewhat nervously) to labor and delivery. This is the only book I'd say is mandatory reading if you're not, like, a midwife/doula already.

The Wonder Weeks by Hetty Vanderijt - Repetitive but super helpful in specific new skills to watch for. You could probably get away with getting just the app of the same name--I got both. And the timing was pretty accurate as to when to expect the brain "leap" (which results in fussy/grumpy/clinginess).

(Not a book, but...) https://purplecrying.info/ - Will keep you sane when purple crying peaks around 3-4 months old.

The Sleep Sense Program by Dana Obleman - This is NO CRY sleep training. I followed it to the letter starting at 10 weeks old, enforced it consistently, and my 2yo has never had any problems with sleep that last longer than a few weeks--to which we continuously applied the method (except when sick/teething). I'm planning on co-sleeping until 3-4 months this time, but then we're doing this again, assuming we don't go insane with twins.

Oh Crap! Potty Training by Jamie Glowacki - Um, we're still working on this, but the method makes sense to me.

What kind of reader are you? (e.g. "I hate reading", "I read all the time")

I read all the time. I actually had to cut down my Goodreads challenge for 2016 because I needed to focus more on non-GR reading. I haven't read "a book" in a few months because I've mostly been reading short stories for the Nebulas (the Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America [SFWA] yearly awards) since I qualified for member (and to nominate, yay!) this year.

Therefore, I have only read a book a week or so this year.

My Goodreads profile, if anyone is interested, which includes the books I've written: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7740723.S_L_Saboviec
    Me: 35 | DH: 46
    MMC: 09/13 (9 weeks)
    DD: Born 8/22/14
    Babies #2 & 3: Due dates 6/9/17
    And my other love: writing
  • Options
    @KMD1106 I loved the Kite Runner and a Thousand Splendid Suns. When people think of Afghanistan, I feel like they mostly think of the most recent war. It was so interesting to learn more about their recent history and culture as a people.

@BabyMC517 Have you read anything by Sarah Maas? She wrote the Throne of Glass series and A Court of Thorns and Roses series and I'm obsessed. They're YA, but "older" YA if that makes sense. If you like the Mortal Instruments and Lunar Chronicles, you'll probably love them.

@sls I've never met anyone else who liked Choke! It is probably my favorite Palahniuk.
  • Options
    @MoshiMoshi7 I have not red those or heard of them! Just added them to my audible wishlist! I've saved the Red Queen series by Victoria Aveyard, but haven't started them yet. I have to be in the mood to listen in my car haha and just haven't been. Plus with being off for winter break the last 2 weeks, I haven't taken really long drives! Need to get them on my kindle app so I can actually read them at home! 

I love getting book suggestions! Always up for something new  :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     "A day without laughter is a day wasted." ~Charlie Chaplin
  • Options
    @sls I've never met anyone else who liked Choke! It is probably my favorite Palahniuk.
    I have a thing for unreliable narrators, plus there's just something about how accessible the voice is!
  • Options
    By the way, this just wandered across my Twitter feed. Here's my PSA for book lovers, especially anyone who likes small press or independent/self-published books. :-D

• Options
    Favorite book(s): A Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood; Harry Potter series (re-reading now); Fifteen Lives of Harry August
    Favorite genre: Fiction, but I also like true adventure stories about hiking and things (The Last Season, Grandma Gatewood's Walk)
    Least favorite genre or things you stray away from: Horror. I can do suspense, but I can't do really scary stuff.
    Favorite book quote: I'll have to think about this one.
    Pregnancy/Parenting/Baby book recommendations: No book recommendations, but I like reading Pregnant Chicken sometimes.
    What kind of reader are you? (e.g. "I hate reading", "I read all the time") All the time! Ever since I was a little kid. 
    Me: 29, DH: 31
    Married: October 2014
    Began TTC: April 2015
    BFP #1: 9/18/15. EDD 5/18/16. MC 10/26/15. (9w)
    BFP #2: 2/27/16. EDD 11/7/16. MC/D&E 4/20/16 (11w)
    BFP #3: 9/22/16. EDD 5/29/17. DS born 4/24/17 <3
    BFP #4: 5/20/18. EDD 1/23/19. 

• Options
    @Sls I too tried to read Les Mis and only got halfway through. I love the musical, but the book was just...too much. LOL on the one book a week. I'd set a goal of 200 books this year and while thats entirely obtainable for me I completely slacked off early in the year and only completed 57. I think I'll try again with the new year. 
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Options
    RainyDays86RainyDays86 member
    edited December 2016
    sls said:
    I have a thing for unreliable narrators, plus there's just something about how accessible the voice is!
    I'm in the same boat @MoshiMoshi7! Choke is one of my favorite books and I don't know if I've ever met anyone else who likes it. Or has read it.
  • Options
    sls said:
    I'm in the same vote @MoshiMoshi7! Choke is one of my favorite books and I don't know if I've ever met anyone else who likes it. Or has read it.

Three of us! Who would have thought?? I read it because of the Fight Club movie, after I read Fight Club, of course. I like his other stuff, but not as well as Choke. And I haven't been able to read anything of his since that horror story collection. :S That still makes me sick when I think about it.
  • Options
    @sls I haven't read his horror story collection yet. I'm not a huge horror lover, should I stay away from it?
  • Options
    slssls member
    @sls I haven't read his horror story collection yet. I'm not a huge horror lover, should I stay away from it?

Yeah, it was gross. I love suspense/creepy/psychological horror, but this was body horror. *shudder*
  • Options
    Ooh, I forgot Kurt Vonnegut. I especially like his short stories in Welcome to the Monkey House. 
    Me: 29, DH: 31
    Married: October 2014
    Began TTC: April 2015
    BFP #1: 9/18/15. EDD 5/18/16. MC 10/26/15. (9w)
    BFP #2: 2/27/16. EDD 11/7/16. MC/D&E 4/20/16 (11w)
    BFP #3: 9/22/16. EDD 5/29/17. DS born 4/24/17 <3
    BFP #4: 5/20/18. EDD 1/23/19. 

• Options
    Has anyone read the Neapolitan Novels series by Elena Ferrante? A blogger gave them rave reviews, but I am having trouble getting into the first one (My Brilliant Friend). Do they get better? Am I just a subpar reader? 
  • Options
    Favorite book(s): When I get around to reading, I like Jodi Picoult and the Kay Scarpetta series by Patricia Cornwell.

Favorite genre: Crime, chick lit

Least favorite genre or things you stray away from: I don't go for sci-fi or fantasy

Favorite book quote: I don't have one

Pregnancy/Parenting/Baby book recommendations: Taking Charge of Your Fertility

What kind of reader are you? I love to read, I just don't have much time for it. 

photo May2014jpg photo MomTatWhiteNew40jpg

It’s not that I don’t like you, it’s that I don’t know you. Stranger Danger.
  • Options
    @RedInLove Jodi Picoult is awesome...have you read Change of Heart?
  • Options
    @RedInLove Jodi Picoult is awesome...have you read Change of Heart?
    I don't think I've read that one yet! I need to check my shelf and see if I even have it, I do own several of hers that I haven't read yet. 

photo May2014jpg photo MomTatWhiteNew40jpg

It’s not that I don’t like you, it’s that I don’t know you. Stranger Danger.
  • Options
    Favorite book(s): Harry Potter and Outlander series. Authors I like are Sophie Kinsella, Jane Green, Nicholas Sparks..
    Favorite genre: I like a lot of chick lit. 
    Least favorite genre or things you stray away from: Horror or most History/War books
    Favorite book quote: Can't think of one right now. 
    Pregnancy/Parenting/Baby book recommendations: None yet. 
    What kind of reader are you? (e.g. "I hate reading", "I read all the time") I don't get a lot of time to sit down with a book but I do a lot of audiobooks while I work and drive. 
  • Options
    I've been following this thread since it started but have been waiting until I got on the laptop to respond. Loving this thread.

Favorite book(s): Mere Christianity, Miracle in the Andes, Hunger Games series

Favorite genre: Classics and non-fiction. I think I'm the lone woman standing on these preferences. 

Least favorite genre or things you stray away from: Crime or horror

Favorite book quote: “True humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less.” 

Pregnancy/Parenting/Baby book recommendations: Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy

What kind of reader are you? (e.g. "I hate reading", "I read all the time"): I used to devour books but that kind of stopped after college when I started working. Then when I had DS it got even worse. I probably read 2-3 books a year from 2011 to 2015 but last year I joined a book club and that got me reading again. I read at at least the minimum one book for book club but lately I've been reading more and more. I'm reading the Shadow and Bone series currently and it is so good!  I feel like I am re-discovering my love of books and it's fun! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options
    I'm reviving this thread because I just finished a book.  Newsworthy, I know.  As part of my new year resolutions to read more, I read The Light Between Oceans.  It was great, but it was a real rollercoaster of emotions so I'm not sure I'd recommend it for anyone who is feeling particularly emotional about pregnancy or parenthood. I was wondering, however, if anyone else has read the book and/or seen the movie?  If both, how do they compare? Is the movie worth a watch?

I'm really just excited I read 1 book so far this year which is 1/3 the number of books I read in all of 2016.

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Options
    @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot I read that several years ago. I thought it was great, but man did it make me cry! I haven't wanted to see  the movie since I am pregnant. 
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • Options
    @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot I read that awhile back and really liked it. I didn't even know there was a movie, is it fairly recent? I don't know if I want watch it while pregnant, but I am a sucker for book/movie comparisons.
  • Options
    @MoshiMoshi7

It came out sometime in 2016 and I don't think it's on DVD yet. Michael Fassbender and Rachel Weisz are in it.

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor