Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

"Cry Baby"

Hey ladies! I haven't posted on this board yet, so I'll introduce myself. I'm Ally, I have a 5y/o DD, 17m/o DS,  and a 4m/o DS2. I look forward to hearing from you gals, and hopefully being able to reciprocate the favor later on :)

So over the last two weeks roughly, DS one has just been what I can only describe as a "cry baby". I know, he IS just baby lol but I'll explain further. He seems to just be a grump from shortly after breakfast to right before bedtime. He will look at me, do something he knows he isn't supposed to, or try to grab something he isn't supposed to grab (yes, in these instances he does in fact know better), and as soon as I make eye contact with him he will drop himself to the ground and just cry and fuss liKe he had just gotten in trouble. This is BEFORE I even get the chance to tell him 'No', or scold him in any way. I feel like he's just trying to get my attention, but if I try to console him, he swats me away and still cries and fusses. Then wants me to pick him up, and swats me away again as I reach for him. I know this is a very confusing age (for him AND me!), just wondering if any of you have any experience with these fuss spells and what you did/are doing about it? He just has a case of the feels lately it seems. Sometimes it's frustrating, sometimes it's funny, and sometimes it is just hard to deal with while I'm juggling the other kids and my mom/wife duties. Thanks in advance for your input :)

Re: "Cry Baby"

• Options
    My DD is 14 months old and has been behaving similar. She's a constant grump and will make mean faces at me and do something she knows she isn't supposed to do like throw food or pull my hair and then say, "no no", all while never breaking eye contact and maintaining the mean expression on her face. The only thing I've found to snap her out of it is not break eye contact and then after a few moments start laughing. Although, to be honest, I have no idea if that tactic is going to come back to bite me. I'm just winging it. 

I hope you find a solution soon! 
  • Options

Smart little devils, aren't they? I know there are a billion different behavioral theories by a billion different developemental experts and everything, but I'm just going to say he's hitting his terrible twos early. DD hit hers late, she wasn't a defiant fuss butt until she was three (threenager!)

Best of luck to you mama! @doodleoodle
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I hear ya! I have a 7 year old, a 2.5 year old, and a 16 month old. Two toddlers are no fun. When they throw their tantrums it drives me crazy. Not only does it drive me crazy though, but it puts the entire family in turmoil. This is why I took it upon myself to research, read, and study anything and everything that I could with all of my children during this difficult stage. I have come up with some things that have worked with all 3 of my children. I've written a blog post just for this specific topic. I'll include it below.

https://http//alphadadomegamom.com/tackling-toddler-tantrums/

Hope this helps!

Omega Mom
  • Options
    My son does the same thing when he doesn't get his way or when he's tired.   I usually just ignore the daytime meltdowns but the evening ones I use as my sign for bedtime.  My son goes to bed at 7pm so we start his bedtime routine between 6 and 630 depending on how fussy he is which sucks as DH doesn't get home until 6. I pick him up at 4 so I have a little more time with him in evening. I'll be glad when he is through this phase.