July 2017 Moms
Options

NBR: Your Holiday Potluck Recipes

Inspired by the High Risk Check-In, tis the season for pot-lucks.  Share your favorite go-to and the recipes below.  (I'm hungry and I'm too lazy to think of things on my own.)

food party celebrities jennifer lawrence reactions

Team Giphy britney spears eating eat ice cream
Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
 DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: NBR: Your Holiday Potluck Recipes

• Options
    When not pregnant, I made these for a pot-luck and they were a huge success:

Guiness, Whiskey, and Irish Cream Cupcakes
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
  • Options
    Also a few go-to dip favorites:

6-Layer Taco Dip:  Layer the following one by one on a platter.  Serve with chips.
    - 1 Can Refried Beans
    - 1 Pint Sour Cream
    - 1 Pint Guacamole
    - Shredded Mexican Cheese
    - Chopped Fresh Tomatoes
    - Chopped Scallions/Green Onions

Buffalo Chicken Dip: Layer the following in a 9x9 Baking Dish.  Cook at 350 for 30 minutes.
    - 2 packages Cream Cheese/Neufchatel Cheese
    - Shredded cooked chicken
    - 1 bottle Frank's Red Hot
    - 1 bottle Ranch Dressing
    - Shredded Mexican Cheese
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Omg @Xath now I am craving buffalo chicken dip. :) I've also done a similar recipe with lightly blanched cauliflower for a vegetarian option. So good. 
  • Options
    @oheliza44 I did it with Chickpeas when meat totally made me gag with my 2nd pregnancy.

• Options
    These sounds amazing and now I want taco dip.

I always make baked ziti for everything.  Easiest recipe in the world: boil 1 box of ziti noodles and strain, mix with 1 pint ricotta, 1/4 lb shredded mozzarella, shredded Parmesan, 1 egg, pour into casserole dish and layer with tomato a sauce and one more sprinkling of mozzarella, bake 20 minutes.  You can mix in broccoli, chicken, or ground beef if you're fancy.  Nom nom nom.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    star_beaglestar_beagle member
    edited December 2016
    Crockpot Mac & Cheese. It is completely gone every time. (I'll add the link when I'm not on mobile.)

ETA: Link. I'd recommend doubling the amount of noodles for the cheese listed in the recipe. It's super cheesy. :)
    Married: 10/13/2013
    TTC #1: Mirena removed 5/26/2015; DH - normal SA, me - diagnosed with PCOS 8/4/2016 - on Metformin; BFP - 10/29/2016!!!, EDD - 7/8/2017; DD born 6/29/2017
  • Options
    @OperaSingerMommy I want baked ziti now.  Right now.  

• Options
    I felt super lazy this weekend and just put hillshire farm lil smokies and sweet baby rays BBQ in a mini crockpot. I don't know why but both families love them. 

@xath just don't line the taco dip pan with tin foil. My aunt made some and lined the on with tin foil. I got a chunk of tinfoil when I went to eat it. But it was really good. I think I wanna try your buffalo dip this weekend!
  • Options
    Crock pot meatballs: 
    you can use frozen or your fav meatball recipe 
    combine them with a jar of grape jelly
    1.5 cups of ketchup 
    a couple of squirts of sriracha

I know it sounds gross but people request me to bring these all the time. 
  • Options
    Crock pot meatballs: 
    you can use frozen or your fav meatball recipe 
    combine them with a jar of grape jelly
    1.5 cups of ketchup 
    a couple of squirts of sriracha

I know it sounds gross but people request me to bring these all the time. 
    I do something similar.  It's meatballs, a jar of grape jelly, a bottle of BBQ sauce, and horseradish to taste.  Haven't been able to make it since I moved here because apparently the UK doesn't believe in fresh horseradish.  
  • Options
    @Xath oh my...I absolutely must have it with horseradish now. Have you checked any of the ethnic groceries? 
  • Options
    @ACharnelle Yeah, we've looked all over.  They have shelf-stable "horseradish sauce" but they mix it with stuff and it barely has any kick.  When we move back to the US, I'm looking forward to my deli fresh horseradish.  

...mmmmmmm.....

• Options
    Cait32 said:
    @OperaSingerMommy I'm making baked ziti tonight because I was reminded of how much I love it when you posted!
    Hooray!  It's my go-to for parties and for new mamas!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Not necessarily pot luck - but this "dessert" is super easy to make - I've already made two batches for neighbor and host gifts:

Chocolate Caramel Crack(ers)

Preheat oven to 350. Cover an 11x17 sheet pan with foil, then line bottom with parchment. Layer saltines on entire bottom.
    Put 2 sticks of butter and 1 cup of brown sugar in medium pot over medium heat, bring to boil while stirring. Allow to boil for three minutes, stirring frequently. Quickly pour over crackers, spreading with a spatula. Bake for 15 minutes, watching to make sure it doesn't over brown.
    Pull from oven, and sprinkle 1.5 cups semi sweet chocolate chips over the top. Allow to sit for five minutes, then spread over caramel. Add any toppings while chocolate is soft (almonds, sprinkles, etc).
    Allow to set (I put mine in the fridge) then break into chunks.

It sounds way more complicated than it is - it works together really quickly and is always a hit!
    Me: 30 DH: 30
    Dating: 12/21/2001
    Married: 09/08/2012
    TTC: 09/2016
    BFP: 11/16/2016 EDD: 07/27/2017
    Baby Fish born: 08/01/2017

• Options
    I always do a cheese plate because Trader Joe's has such good, cheap cheese. A nice cheddar, smoked gouda, brie and/or goat, depending on the size of the crowd, and some crackers. Maybe some dried fruit or fig jam if I'm feeling fancy.

Bummed that I won't be able to partake in the cheese course at my IL's this year. I think that's what I'll most for the next 7 months!
  • Options
    @PurplePumpernickel Are they serving rare or imported cheeses? As long as the milk is pasteurized, you should be fine! Most brie, etc. from Trader Joes or other grocery stores should be made with pasteurized milk. I'd be so sad without brie!!

• Options
    @RunRestRepeat They go for the fancy soft cheeses. I'm going to ask to see the wrappers, but there's a lot of weird blues (that I LOVE) that I know I won't be able to have. I may just buy my own.
  • Options
    @PurplePumpernickel Ugh, bummer! We have a local cheese shop right by our house and I've been craving it SO bad, but I know they are going to have a lot of unpasteurized cheeses, too. I'm just trying to be happy with at least having something. I've already told DH our first post-baby date will be to that cheese shop!!!

• Options
    @PurplePumpernickel BYOCheese?

I was reminded of this recipe yesterday.  It's super easy if you're on the "desserts" team.  

https://www.food.com/recipe/puppy-chow-or-monkey-munch-74048

• Options
    XathXath member
    edited December 2016
    This one is also a great favorite, though I never make the oven that hot because the kisses get too messy.

Chocolate Pretzels

https://allrecipes.com/recipe/21169/chocolate-pretzels/
  • Options
    I went to Trader Joe's and got pasteurized smoked gouda, gorgonzola, and goat. The three Gs!
  • Options
    lfk2013 said:
    Crockpot Mac & Cheese. It is completely gone every time. (I'll add the link when I'm not on mobile.)

ETA: Link. I'd recommend doubling the amount of noodles for the cheese listed in the recipe. It's super cheesy. :)

@lfk2013 This is on the menu for tonight!
  • Options
    @Xath - I had this for early breakfast. :) (The crispy bits are the best.)
    Married: 10/13/2013
    TTC #1: Mirena removed 5/26/2015; DH - normal SA, me - diagnosed with PCOS 8/4/2016 - on Metformin; BFP - 10/29/2016!!!, EDD - 7/8/2017; DD born 6/29/2017
  • Options
    @OperaSingerMommy. Making baked ziti tonight!

@lfk2013  The mac and cheese was amazing!  You were right about doubling the pasta.
  • Options
    I totally stole the ziti recipe from my college roommate!  I'll have to tell her it's spreading like wildfire among pregnant gals, hahaha!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm making spinach artichoke dip in the crock pot for a get together tonight. It takes almost 15 min to put together and heating time. So good!

https://www.raegunramblings.com/2015/12/best-spinach-artichoke-dip-recipe.html
  • Options
    So literally the easiest appetizer ever, and THE BOMB. 

2 canisters of crescent rolls
    1 block of Havarti with dill cheese

stretch one canister of crescent rolls out so it makes a rectangle, cut up pieces of the cheese and spread them evenly on the dough, place the other roll of crescent rolls over to make a little rectangle package (make sure all the edges are connected). Bake for 20 min @ 350. 

I probably can eat the whole thing. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    I think I might need a separate frozen meal recipies post. You all have great ideas. 
  • Options
    @dancegurl1118 that sounds delicious! 
    Lilypie - (FR0w)