May 2017 Moms
Options

Classes for STM(+)

I am trying to decide on taking any classes this go around (other than infant CPR).  

Would you take Lamaze type classes if you are wanting to attempt a VBAC (or hell even for a reminder)? 

Newborn classes (this should all come back to me right)?

Breastfeeding class (I've never BF a newborn, only 4m+)?

Any other thoughts?  FTMs are you guys planning on taking any classes?

~~~~~~~~~Siggy Warning~~~~~~~~

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
3-16-2012 D&C/Miscarriage.
 Blocked Left Tube. 
Diminished Ovarian Reserve   
MFI - Sperm Morphology 2%.  
MTHFR 
 Abnormal Antiphospholipid Antibodies
April 2013 ~  1st IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid- Canceled
May 2013  ~ 2nd IUI attempt -100 mg Clomid- Canceled
June 2013 ~ 3rd IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid+ Trigger+ Progesterone~BFN
 IVF/ICSI #1 May 2014 ~ Freeze All ~ Due to OHSS
 5/1/2014 ~ 22 retrieved, 12 fertilized, 3 frozen
5/28/2014 ~ FET#1 ~ Transferred 2 Hatching Blasts
  6/1/2014~ **BFP**
6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099
6/16/2014 Beta #3 ~ >5000
6/19/2014 First U/S ~ TWINS!!!  
1/7/2015 Twins born @ 34 weeks

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Classes for STM(+)

• Options
    The first time around, I took a birth/baby class and a bf'ing class. Both were very helpful. This time, I'll probably take a refresher course. I was induced the first time and I've forgotten a lot about when to go in, etc. A BF'ing class might be helpful if you want a refresher on getting a good latch and all those little details. 

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Options
    @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot I'm going to look into a refresher course.  Also what's the thought of 2yr olds doing a sibling class, a waste of money?

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    MTHFR 
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I didn't find my birthing class helpful my husband and I always joke the class is a lie ( for those video gamers it's based from the cake is a lie) nothing the nurse said happened or the video portrayed and it was from the hospital we birthed at. They said no iv if I didn't want one no constant monitoring we could use a heat pad from home etc nope all lies. Yes I know I could have refused the iv and monitoring but didn't want to be that patient. So they hooked me up to this heavy traveling monitor and an iv with two heavy pumps on it when I just had one slow kvo drip not using either of pumps then wanted me to drag the pole over carpet to walk to help baby and birth... Anyway no no classes for me but my babe is only 16 months old so most things are pretty vivid still 
  • Options
    For the VBAC I would consider the lamaze-type class, but you could also skip it if you did this before.
    I would skip the newborn class.
    I would probably go to the breastfeeding class, or at least be very aggressive in the hospital about getting help immediately. Like, everyone who comes in to your room for any reason, ask them to check your latch, etc. Ask for the lactation consultant.
    You could also do a siblings class.

For our 3rd go around, we are going to do "newborn first days at home" class because we're at a birth center this time instead of a hospital, and they kick you out pretty quickly. So we need to know how to take care of a less-than-one-day-old, which is different from taking care of a 3-day old.

The only other class we're doing is a siblings class.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    chickyclg said:
    @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot I'm going to look into a refresher course.  Also what's the thought of 2yr olds doing a sibling class, a waste of money?
    Siblings classes could be a waste of time, but if they're of any value, I think that age 2 is a really good age for such a class. We're sending our 3 and 6 yr old and it will probably be lame for them but I still like the idea of more orientation to the new baby.

• Options
    I forgot about sibling classes.  I'm going to look in to them for my 3yo.  I took one when I was 4 and my parents were pregnant with my sister.  I vaguely remember it being fun.

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • Options
    I think the breastfeeding class may be beneficial. I was very surprised at the little help I was offered when DS2 was born. I feel like they assumed since I nursed DS1 I already new what I was doing. Aside from each kid being different, DS1 finally took to nursing because of all the LC help in the NICU. I remember thinking no wonder so many ladies struggle to nurse right away if there is not that much initial support in the hospital. I ended up having to request LC consults while in the hospital. I had a RCS so I was there for 5 days and had plenty of opportunity to ask for more help. I can just imagine only being there for 2-3 days with little to no breastfeeding support and leaving frustrated.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• Options
    I'm hoping to have a VBAC. I didn't take a birthing class with my first, turns out it would have been a waste since I needed a CS due to DD being breech. This time I really want to take a birthing class to prepare myself. 

As far as a breastfeeding class I think it will all come back to me I breastfed DD a little after she turned one. The LC at our hospital visits you each day your at the hospital and it's wonderful to have her come in and help if needed. 

Newborn classes I didn't take them the first time and don't plan to this time. 

@NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot  I was debating on  whether or not I should take DD she's two as well, but DH and I feel she wouldn't have the attention span to last long enough in a class. Also in our area for most sibling classes children have to be four years and up to be able to take the class. 

#1 DD Aug 2014 @39weeks via CS

#2 Due May 2,2017 hopeful VBAC

• Options
    I had no idea a sibling class even existed. My kiddo is only two so I would be worried about attention span as well. What does it even involved anyways?

• Options
    We were considering a sibling class for DS but the one at our hospital requires siblings to be 3 and he'll only be 2.5. For @pshaortao and others wondering, the class description from our hospital says:

Join other children three to seven years of age on a Hospital Safari. We will take an excursion around the Women and Family Center, tell stories that prepare siblings-to-be for a new baby, and help them feel comfortable in the hospital setting. Parents remain with their children during this class. Each child will receive a safari visor to wear and take home.

• Options
    Meh, I never took any classes with my first and wont this time. I just googled whatever I had questions about, asked my midwife what I needed to know and went from there. Most things come naturally (unless interfered with my illnesses like ppd/a) so I didnt find that I needed to take the classes. 
    Mama of 1.5 little boys.
    20. Engaged. Single Parent. College Student in 2017. SAHM.
    Just taking things as they come and doing the best I can for my kids.

Michael Anthony | April 11th 2015
    Baby Boy #2 | May 12th 2017

• Options
    I'm not sure if this is relevant or not (and I probably should have done it before baby #1) but I feel more led to take an infant/child CPR class now that two humans will be depending on me. 

As far as breastfeeding goes, I think I would look into it after the fact. I know my hospital had GREAT lactation consultants that came around every day and they advertised that you could make as many appointments with them as you needed after going home. That way, you could focus on your specific issues (one on one) and not have to sit through a broad spectrum class where all of the info might not apply to you. 
  • Options
    I would skip the newborn class. It'll come back to you. Sibling classes are only available to us for kids over 3. I didn't take a breastfeeding class when I was pregnant with my first but I did with my second.  I still found it very helpful. I asked a lot of questions about pumping, milk storage, dealing with the supply changes during a period, basically things I wouldn't have known to ask the first time.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options
    I took several classes the first time around - birthing class, breastfeeding class, and newborn care class. They were each only marginally helpful.

I'm not planning on doing any classes this time around, but I AM hiring a licensed doula, which I didn't know much about the first time so I am counting on her to help me with breathing and positioning and all that.

I breastfed my daughter until she turned three and attended many BF'ing classes back then so I feel pretty comfortable with that at least and know where I can get help this time around. I had no clue where to turn to for help when I first had DD and really the first few weeks were when I could have really used some good advice!

Newborn care stuff should come back real quick, I think, and my daughter is 5 and has a pretty decent grasp of what life will be like with a baby...at least, as best as she can imagine ahead of time! We have several good friends with infants and have given her a couple of books. She's very excited.
    BabyFruit Ticker

DH: 34/Me: 35
    Married: Feb 2008
    DD: June 2011
    TTC# 2: April 2014
    BFP!! 8/29/16 --> EDD: 5/11/17....it's a GIRL!!! :)
  • Options
    JCWhiteyJCWhitey member
    edited December 2016
    I'm doing Hypnobirthing again.  I did this class with #1 and had a great birthing experience (med free and intervention free).  I decided not to do one with #2 because I was BTDT.  Her birth was definitely not amazing and I often wonder if it's because I didn't take the classes or drink the teas or get the adjustments like I did with my first.  I will do it all again this time and see if it makes any sort of difference.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Options
    Thanks y'all, the only class I took last time was an infant CPR class since I was on bedrest most of the time, and that was taken after delivery in order to get the kiddos out of NICU.

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    MTHFR 
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099

• Options
    I'm skipping all the classes this time. My son was a cesarean section delivery but only after a long induction that included 2 hours of pushing so I don't think there is anything I need book learning on before a TOLAC. 

He will only be 2.5 when this one is born so it's still fresh too. 

May '17 labor memes
  • Options
    Oh hell..... What's TOLAC, is this something I need to be reading too. @WombThereItIs

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    MTHFR 
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099

• Options
    We took a birthing class the first time around, and I did not find it helpful at all. This time I will probably do the infant CPR and I am looking for a sibling class for DD. I took one when I was four and going to be a big sister and I loved it. 
  • Options
    @chickyclg TOLAC = trial of labor after cesarean - essentially a VBAC without the actual birth part. It's a little condescending (they will let you *try* to labor) but really the more accurate term until baby actually comes out vaginally. Semantics. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Options
    mdlorenz said:
    @chickyclg TOLAC = trial of labor after cesarean - essentially a VBAC without the actual birth part. It's a little condescending (they will let you *try* to labor) but really the more accurate term until baby actually comes out vaginally. Semantics. 
    Thanks! I googled the acronym last night and was trying to figure out the details of how you trialed labor.

So basically, a TOLAC is what a VBAC is called before the actual delivery? 

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    MTHFR 
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099

• Options
    @chickyclg  Essentially, but I hear way more people talk about VBACs ("I'm going to [try for a] VBAC") than TOLACs. They are used almost interchangeably by moms + providers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Options
    chickyclg said:
    mdlorenz said:
    Thanks! I googled the acronym last night and was trying to figure out the details of how you trialed labor.

So basically, a TOLAC is what a VBAC is called before the actual delivery? 
    Yeah. I get lectured on the difference by Dr. No Fun Husband so it's just a habit now. 

May '17 labor memes
  • Options
    I didn't take any classes with DS (it was booked for the day after I was induced) I didn't have any issues, I probably should've taken a breastfeeding class or asked for more help, but hind sight is a wonderful thing. I think I may look into a refresher birthing course this time, just because I didn't take one last time I didn't know what to expect and having been induced I still don't know when to go to the hospital or what the signs of labour starting are. That has me mildly terrified honestly. I would like H to come as well, even though he did brilliantly last time, I still think he would benefit from the class.
    Me - 22  |   DH - 32   |  Married - 24 May 2014
    DS - January 2014 
    TTC#2 - December 2015
    BFP - 6 March 2016  |  MC Confirmed - 21 March 2016
    TTCAL  |  April 2016
    CP  |  June 2016
    CP  |  July 2016
    BFP - 25 August 2016  |  Due Date - 11 May 2017
  • Options
    With DD we did the birthing and childcare class.... it didn't help much as I ended up with an epi and stuck in bed, and even though I wanted to be sat up to use the bar to push I was laid on my back. I should have been more vocal. The childcare class was sort of helpful, but mainly common sense. Because those too kind of lacked info we skipped the BF class. I regret that as I had problems and didn't know how to get help. 

This time around we will do a BF class. And maybe a sibling class, one good thing though is DD daycare will start letting her spend some time in the infant room to get use to being around babies. I thought that is a really nice thing they offer at day care. 
    April Siggy Challenge - May BMB - Newborn Fail
    Image result for newborn fail

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @PartiallyDomesticated I was induced with my first and I was a little nervous about labor with the second since I never experienced it on my own before. But I promise you'll know haha. I had very regular contractions late one night which felt like really bad menstruals cramps to me. I called L&D and they told me to take a shower and if I still felt them regularly after showering and relaxing to head in. I did and I was at 1.5 but after a half hour walk I was at 3 and they kept me. Just listen to your body. Who knows, your water might break and then you'll know for sure!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @mamatowildones I'm not so much worried about not knowing, but my first, and all the women in my family are all short labors, add that into the fact that I'm nearly an hour away from the closest hospital. It's a bit daunting that I may misjudge. I feel like it's pretty hard to miss contractions lol
    Me - 22  |   DH - 32   |  Married - 24 May 2014
    DS - January 2014 
    TTC#2 - December 2015
    BFP - 6 March 2016  |  MC Confirmed - 21 March 2016
    TTCAL  |  April 2016
    CP  |  June 2016
    CP  |  July 2016
    BFP - 25 August 2016  |  Due Date - 11 May 2017
  • Options
    With DS we did a newborn care class and delivery class. I also did one for breastfeeding.  I thought they were helpful, especially since DH had no experience with babies. 

My doctor offers a few free class that I may look into this go around, but I'm not too concerned.  My 2.5 year old is still nursing at bed time so I feel pretty squared away on that topic.  I do plan to take DS to a big sibling class. Our hospital offers one geared at 3 year olds so it should be perfect.