November 2016 Moms
Options

Dumb Questions - December Edition

Re: Dumb Questions - December Edition

• Options
    When are you implementing schedules and routines with your LO's? Right now I'm just nursing on demand and letting him sleep when he sleeps. I'm not sure when I should start putting a schedule in place or even how to do that. 
  • Options
    When are you implementing schedules and routines with your LO's? Right now I'm just nursing on demand and letting him sleep when he sleeps. I'm not sure when I should start putting a schedule in place or even how to do that. 
    I most likely won't impose a schedule at all. We didn't with DS and everything pretty much fell into place naturally 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    With DD things with her changed so frequently a schedule was pretty impossible. After a while I did start to notice that she was down for the night by a certain time so we just followed her lead. With naps we didn't get a schedule going until she turned 2.
  • Options
    I'm just letting baby do his thing right now! the only thing I try to do is during the evenings after around 8 I'll try to keep him awake-ish (this is when he cluster feeds anyway!) and at around 11/1130 we head upstairs, change his bum and settle in bed for a last feed and snuggle until he's pretty solid asleep and then I place him in his crib between 12-1. Being awake that long before bed helps him (and mommy!) get a pretty solid sleep until around 530. Not always the case as he still does what he wants. But I've found this has worked for me in getting him to sleep alone. Otherwise he refuses to sleep anywhere except my arms. 
  • Options
    I don't do schedules. A routine is more realistic with babies. Even then, the only routin I have for DS right now is bedtime. During the day we just do our thing, especially since DD is 3yo and all over the place constantly. 

MMC 01/26/12 

MC 12/25/12, D&C 01/05/13

BFP 03/05/13, EDD 11/12/13. HB 175 @ 9w2d. Its a Girl!

<3Madeline Lorraine H. <3 Born 11/12/13 @9:10pm, 7lb6oz

DX with EA/TEF Type C & Tracheomalaysia
    MC @ 13wks 01/15/15 

DX Septate Uterus - surgery recommended

BFP 3/18/16, EDD 11/13/16 It's a boy!
    <3 Clint Kiszonas H. <3 Born 11/21/16 @10:38pm, 9lb11oz

BFP 1/11/18, EDD 9/21/18 
  • Options
    @kristah2 I might have to steal your idea. She cluster feeds at night and last night was no good. H and I were up all night.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• Options
    @m6agua I was having the same problem and DH had to take a couple mornings to stay home from work because I was so tired I couldn't function. 
    I still let baby dictate his schedule so sometime we're asleep closer to 11 and other nights it's closer to 2 but either way I keep him awake most of the evening and let him cluster feed then. 
    I made the mistake yesterday of really long naps right through the day and he evening so he was up every hour last night. Reassured me I was doing the best thing for both of us. 
  • Options
    @kristah2 Suggestions for how to keep him up, please? I've been trying something similar but when he falls asleep it's a losing battle for me. 
    Married: 08.05.11
    Welcomed baby girl: 06.10.14
    Second pregnancy EDD: 06.16.16 MC: 10.29.15
    Welcomed baby boy: 11.25.16
  • Options
    @SandNStarsNJ after he feeds and falls asleep I usually let him go about 30-60 minutes depending on what time it is. Then I try to tickle his cheeks etc. This makes him stir but doesn't fully wake him so it's not restful sleep. Once he wakes fully he usually wants to eat again which is perfect because then he's still awake! After a few days of this it switched him to a routine where he cluster feeds during that time only (never before 6pm or after 1130 now!) and he also starts his pleasant time around 6-8 where he stays awake and is super happy for about an hour-2! It was a bit hard the first few evenings because after being woken up by me he needed to feed to calm but i personally found it super worth it! 
  • Options
    I've read About babies being awake 45-90 min before needing to sleep again so they're not awake too long. Does feeding/changing count as part of this awake time? Or does it mean more alert wake time when they are just chilling?
  • Options
    @kvruns I'd say feeding and changing count as awake time. 
  • Options
    Yes,  we count and awake time as awake time.   Usually we feed her,  then change her/talk to her/leg her sisters hold her and try to keep her awake for the rest of an hour,  and by then she's ready to go back to sleep.  
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Options
    I feel like there was a thread about this but I can't search well on my phone - what is everyone planning for birth control going forward? My Dr office is really pushing IUD (I forget which one). I did pills before with no issues but am a little afraid of forgetting it now since I have no sleep schedule. Just afraid of breakthrough bleeding from other options and I found I like having a predictable period vs having none at all (when I did a continuous BC pill years ago) and im not sure what it would be like on an IUD?
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    I feel like there was a thread about this but I can't search well on my phone - what is everyone planning for birth control going forward? My Dr office is really pushing IUD (I forget which one). I did pills before with no issues but am a little afraid of forgetting it now since I have no sleep schedule. Just afraid of breakthrough bleeding from other options and I found I like having a predictable period vs having none at all (when I did a continuous BC pill years ago) and im not sure what it would be like on an IUD?
    Never went back on BC after DS1 was born. I tracked my cycles/used condoms and we didn't conceive again until we tried. I don't plan on going back on BC this time either. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Does anyone have any opinions / advice on convertible car seats that would fit in a small car (Mazda 3). 
    My mom bought me the evenflo symphony but I've been told it may be too big. Also looking at britax marathon. Thoughts/advice on either of those two?
  • Options
    kristah2 said:
    Does anyone have any opinions / advice on convertible car seats that would fit in a small car (Mazda 3). 
    My mom bought me the evenflo symphony but I've been told it may be too big. Also looking at britax marathon. Thoughts/advice on either of those two?
    Are you familiar with the Car seats for the Little's group on FB?  If you post over there (car, anyone else in back seat, child's height/weight, etc) certified car seat techs will give you good options. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
     Help me with gas: we do bicycle kicks, gas drops, massaging the belly, you name it. But nothing lasts for the long term and he cries hysterically until he's past enough gas. Anybody have any suggestions or remedies? 
  • Options
     Help me with gas: we do bicycle kicks, gas drops, massaging the belly, you name it. But nothing lasts for the long term and he cries hysterically until he's past enough gas. Anybody have any suggestions or remedies? 
    We've been using probiotics for our girl. It seems to be helping somewhat, along with Dr. Brown bottles and cutting onions and dairy out of my diet. She still has some gas but nothing like it used to be.
  • Options
    @rhodamorgenstern How do you include probiotics? We haven't introduced bottles yet (waiting till after the first month) but I think his latch is pretty solid. I am contemplating eliminating some foods. 
  • Options
    @rhodamorgenstern How do you include probiotics? We haven't introduced bottles yet (waiting till after the first month) but I think his latch is pretty solid. I am contemplating eliminating some foods. 
    Initially, i applied it to my nipple before she latched but the pediatrician recommended just dropping it into her mouth. My girl falls asleep with her mouth open so I just drop it in. Try keeping a food diary and see if there's any recurring theme to when your baby is super gassy. Good luck, it's painful to watch your baby struggle with discomfort and not understand what's happening.
  • Options
    Okay so this has nothing to do with my baby technically.. but my phone broke tonight and I couldn't get any photos off it. There are a couple photos I posted on here that I wanted to save to my phone but it doesn't seem to be letting me. Am I shit out of luck? Or does anyone know if we can save photos we have posted?
  • Options
    @leighry I'm not very techy, but as a worst case scenario I suppose you could screenshot the photos you wanted. Might be lower quality, but better than nothing.

Hopefully someone else comes up with a way for you to save them.
  • Options
    @SandNStarsNJ we were having some tummy issues with DD as well and I found cutting out dairy has made all the difference. As @RhodaMorgenstern suggested try keeping a food journal and see if you notice any patterns. We are considering a probiotic also. It's so sad when little babes are so uncomfortable. Good luck. I hope you guys find relief soon 
  • Options
    We've been using probiotics for our girl. It seems to be helping somewhat, along with Dr. Brown bottles and cutting onions and dairy out of my diet. She still has some gas but nothing like it used to be.
    Someone had recommened probiotics to me when I was concerned DD possibly was constipated.

I read warm baths might help gas/constipation. 
  • Options
    I think we need to try swaddling. We never started with LO because he hated it in the hospital but he keeps waking himself up flailing around at night. Our bedtime routine is that he falls asleep while nursing and I put him in the bassinet. Do you swaddle LO before or after you nurse? I'm afraid he will wake up if I wait till after but I don't think he'll be thrilled about nursing like that. Thoughts?
  • Options
    I think we need to try swaddling. We never started with LO because he hated it in the hospital but he keeps waking himself up flailing around at night. Our bedtime routine is that he falls asleep while nursing and I put him in the bassinet. Do you swaddle LO before or after you nurse? I'm afraid he will wake up if I wait till after but I don't think he'll be thrilled about nursing like that. Thoughts?
    We swaddle to signify nighttime. Before his last feeding I change his diaper and swaddle him nice and tight. Then I let the nursing do its job and he's out. He's a kicker and a squirmer but the swaddle is snug enough to stay put. 
  • Options
    I swaddle in a muslin blanket after nursing at night. I try to have the blanket laid out ready to go in the bassinet so it's an easy transition.
  • Options
    We swaddle after but he never falls asleep eating so it doesn't matter. I'd do it before but it seems harder to eat that way and I thought I was told not to feed swaddles for some reason 
  • Options
    Well I tried swaddling him before and he lost it so definitely can't do it ahead of time. I tried it after he fell asleep and he woke up a little bit but I was able to get him back to sleep. But he still only slept for an hour and 45 minutes and was swinging his feet around to work some gas out. And the whole time I was freaked he'd accidentally roll on his side while swinging his body around because he didn't have access to his hands. Not sure the swaddle is our solution. 
  • Options
    What about those merlin sleep suit things? I hear those are good for helping them not startle themselves awake.
  • Options
    I wouldn't be too worried about him turning onto his side. They're going to move and eventually turnover whether we want them to or not (freaks me out too). My LO is 3 weeks and rolls to his side frequently. I think it's him dealing with the gas. 
  • Options
    Dumb and TMI question.. what would a hemrhoid feel like?  Every time I poop it hurts so bad mostly in one spot on the right. And I have to lean and everything to get it to pass. And when I'm done I have a lot of bright red blood on the tissue. Thoughts? I'm afraid to go to the doctor because I'm afraid of a recital exam. It's so bad when I go to the bathroom it hurts to walk or sit down for a good half hour! Ugh. 
  • Options
    kristah2 said:
    Dumb and TMI question.. what would a hemrhoid feel like?  Every time I poop it hurts so bad mostly in one spot on the right. And I have to lean and everything to get it to pass. And when I'm done I have a lot of bright red blood on the tissue. Thoughts? I'm afraid to go to the doctor because I'm afraid of a recital exam. It's so bad when I go to the bathroom it hurts to walk or sit down for a good half hour! Ugh. 
    It sounds like a hemorrhoid or a fissure. Try applying witch hazel pads to the inside of a pad in your underwear and see if it brings some relief.
  • Options
    kristah2 said:
    I had hemrhoids so bad in pregnancy. When I would poop it felt like my but hole would come out with the poop. It was a bunch of swollen bumps on my anus. Sometimes I would have to push them back in after pooping. It hurt to wipe with normal TP. I had to use the moist ones.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• Options
    kristah2 said:
    Ugh. Sounds like a hemorrhoid to me. I had my first one ever at 38 weeks and I legit almost lost it. I had just never had pain in that area before. Mine felt like a little blueberry by my anus. It was painful and gross feeling - hated it! Sitz baths with Epsom salt helped ease my discomfort. I was doing those 3x/day, coupled with Preperation H (the ointment stays put better than cream), witch hazel pads and Tylenol. At my 39 week appt, midwife wrote me an Rx for a steroid cream, but not sure how much it helped. Because mine wasn't sure to straining/constipation but to the weight of my 8 lb 9 oz baby girl, there wasn't much that could be done but wait it out. I was stuck with it for 2 painful weeks before going into labor. And it hung around for two weeks after but was no longer painful. I feel for you! I think I was more traumatized by that damn hemorrid than the entire post-labor healing process. 
    Me: 31; DH: 31
    NTNP: May 2015
    TTC #1: late August 2015
    PCOS Dx: January 2016, starting Femara Feb 2016
    BFP: 2/29/16 - Happy Leap Day!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I've got some post nasal drip happening here so now I'm worried I've caught something which just figures. Normally I'd take something to make me drowsy and sleep it off but that's obviously not an option with LO. Anyone know what meds are safe for colds while breastfeeding?